Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

The story itself isn't winning any awards, but I love the way that these lore fragments are delivered and organized. Like a digital corkboard and thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kaiju15 posted:

The story itself isn't winning any awards, but I love the way that these lore fragments are delivered and organized. Like a digital corkboard and thread.

the always sunny pepe silvia bit but the board reads "BIKKE ISLAND INCIDENT"

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Played nearly all day and hit lvl 50(the end of the player level track) after my 45th match. Still only about 84% done with the story.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kaiju15 posted:

Played nearly all day and hit lvl 50(the end of the player level track) after my 45th match. Still only about 84% done with the story.

Did you find out why it's raining dinosaurs?

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Did you find out why it's raining dinosaurs?

Yes The evil corporation found out that dinosaur blood is a super fuel so they are bring them forward in time to juice them. Meanwhile the evil AI was tasked with testing and perfecting the exosuits and was given full control of the time machines for some reason. So the AI decided that making the exofighters fight dinosaurs for eternity would give it the data it needs. Also a side effect of the time machines existing is random dinosaur storms for some reason.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kaiju15 posted:

Yes The evil corporation found out that dinosaur blood is a super fuel so they are bring them forward in time to juice them. Meanwhile the evil AI was tasked with testing and perfecting the exosuits and was given full control of the time machines for some reason. So the AI decided that making the exofighters fight dinosaurs for eternity would give it the data it needs. Also a side effect of the time machines existing is random dinosaur storms for some reason.

It's very funny to me that I'm pretty sure literally everything in here was in various pre-release trailers/showcases, doesn't feel like there's going to be any big swerves in the plot.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Game is fun but I lose a lot. Not sure why.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I played the second beta and it seemed fun, if there's enough variety I could see myself popping it on for a quick blast like I do with the Earth Defence Force games. I was a little bummed they didn't let you play with the mods, those seemed like something very useful to perfect your build.

And I dug the humour and the way the story was laid out to you mission after mission, I initially thought this was going to be threadbare but what I saw was a nice surprise.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The enemy variety is bad in the start, but it gets better roughly the 40% story mark when you get more types of trash mobs and big dinos. There's even Lost Planet glowy spot dinos and bosses.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Okay the T-Rex was pretty fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The only real problem with the story progression lock stuff is if you end up in a game with a bunch of level 1s you aren't going to see anything cool like neosaurs or carnage mode swarms, just raptors and ptrenodons

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

gently caress pternodons forever.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So I played the first pvp mission. Is the whole game just Overwatch meets horde mode? It seemed underwhelming.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mean Baby posted:

So I played the first pvp mission. Is the whole game just Overwatch meets horde mode? It seemed underwhelming.

There's a lot of variations but you don't start unlocking them until you do story progress.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm glad this is on Game Pass because if I had paid AU$90 for this only to be greeted with "hey by the way if you want to play these 3 suits, level up and unlock them with in game currency OR GIVE US ANOTHER AU$20 FOR AN EARLY UNLOCK!", it would leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

I'm naturally wary of any "live service" style games lately given how many have gone under, and it doesn't help that I don't think Exoprimal puts its best foot forward in terms of showcasing that there's more variety to the game than the first couple of missions would suggest.

It's a weird little game and I can't help but like it despite all this, mowing down groups of raptors in a mech suit feels great, playing as a Support class feels useful/impactful in a way that a lot of team games often don't get right, and it's slotting perfectly into the "have some beers with my mates and play games for an hour or two" spot for me. Hope they can get additional content out fairly quickly though or it feels like it'll just end up shut down in under a year.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's extra baffling because you level up so loving fast that there's absolutely no incentive to buy the locked suits

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

It's extra baffling because you level up so loving fast that there's absolutely no incentive to buy the locked suits

Whalers gotta whale

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The real incentive is saving thousands in BikCoin to level up mods faster.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Just finished the story and rolled credits after 56 games. Without spoilers, the final boss was pretty neat and the end of the story was fine, and left a hook for a sequel or whatever future content they plan on adding. It popped up with a message saying I'm eligible for Savage Gauntlet, but it isn't out yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want a crossover events with other Capcom franchises.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I really want a crossover events with other Capcom franchises.

MH and SF6 crossover things coming down the pipe later.

Double anklyos in close quarters surrounded by falling death can gently caress right off

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Mode 7 posted:

I'm glad this is on Game Pass because if I had paid AU$90 for this only to be greeted with "hey by the way if you want to play these 3 suits, level up and unlock them with in game currency OR GIVE US ANOTHER AU$20 FOR AN EARLY UNLOCK!", it would leave a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

I'm naturally wary of any "live service" style games lately given how many have gone under, and it doesn't help that I don't think Exoprimal puts its best foot forward

If you had paid aus $90 for this poo poo we would been like holy poo poo, mode 7 has $90?

Thank God you got it in gamepass

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Getting a T-Rex Dominator when the enemy team is in the middle of fighting a Stegosaurus and Triceratops is pretty evil.
Maybe I'll get the chance to do it again soon.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Just learned that Nimbus has a hidden ability. You can use the hologram to revive people.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Played a couple of games, and it's not terrible but feels like it's missing that one final ingredient that makes it click into place. Then again I got it for free on GamePass so I can just play it for a while and then forget about it. I do like the art direction for some of the suits, particularly the tanks.

- Is there any difference between the PVP and PVE modes? Because I queued for PVE last night and we were still invaded by the enemies at least once, and the end game seemed to be exactly the same as it was in the PVP matches.

- Apparently things pick up later on, but at least in the first games it's just endless raptors and pteradons, neither of which are terribly fun enemies. Not exactly making a stellar first impression.

- It would be nice if the matchmaker tried to make sensible teams. Had three tanks, one support and one DPS on my team. After I noticed what was going on I switched from tank to DPS, but neither of the other two did and unsurprisingly we didn't manage to clear stuff too quickly.

- The options are WEIRD. There's settings for aim sensitivity per mecha suit, but only for a couple of mecha suits. What aim sensitivity do the others use? Who the gently caress knows!

- The UI in general is pretty awful. If I want to queue up for a match as something other than the default suit, I have to go to the suit list and favourite whatever suit I want to play as. Why not just let me pick?

- For some bizarre reason if you take a screenshot of the Xbox Series X version, the game freezes for a good second, and when it comes back to life, sound will be out of sync by over a second. There's no way to fix this that I've found.

One thing I do enjoy is a lot of people seem to be really bad at the game, so I was easily able to wipe out the whole enemy team twice over with my invasion dinosaur during the endgame scramble. It was fun to come back from my badly composed team being behind the enemy for the whole game to winning it with a clutch play.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, it's a hard game to get into with a lot of weird decisions.

The two things you need to know about PvE mode.

It'll still have an invading player-dinosaur in each mission. It's not as bad as it sounds though. It's just a smarter boss. It's a bummer that you can't opt out of it, but you get used to dealing with it.

And there's a PvP map in the PvE rotation. It's one where both teams get a hammer and a NPC. You need to do it once for story progression, but it stays in rotation because Capcom messed up. You can leave subsequent runs. It's easy to recognize that it'll be this mission cause you get the NPC as soon as the map starts.

I haven't tried PvP prio, but based on streams, it'll only send you to the coop story boss missions once. It seems unlock progress has less influence on which maps it pulls too. It's probably happy to find PvPers and not bothered if they do the starter payload mission.

As for dino variety. You're stuck with raptors, small flyers and pachys until you get the first coop boss at around 40% progression. Then you get 3-4 more types: Sniper dinosaurs, exploding dinosaurs, t-rexes, and in rare cases a trash mob that'll crowd control you. The next bosses unlock more. I forget the order, but you get stegos with aoe crowd control, the spitters that ate Nedry in Jurassic Park, two bigger raptor replacements, two bigger flyers, raptor storms, flyer storms and an upgraded version of the trash mob that crowd controls you. I think there's 7 distinct maps too, not counting the story boss arenas, and you only start with 2 available.

The extra aim settings are for the three shooters with aim down sights. Everyone else shares settings. The game really should specify this to avoid confusion.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 17, 2023

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

Just learned that Nimbus has a hidden ability. You can use the hologram to revive people.

This is definitely not communicated well, but F1 on kb+m and d-pad down on controller gives you info on what your Exosuit or dominated dinosaur's abilities do. Gonna add some of this info to the OP.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Played a couple of games, and it's not terrible but feels like it's missing that one final ingredient that makes it click into place. Then again I got it for free on GamePass so I can just play it for a while and then forget about it. I do like the art direction for some of the suits, particularly the tanks.

- Is there any difference between the PVP and PVE modes? Because I queued for PVE last night and we were still invaded by the enemies at least once, and the end game seemed to be exactly the same as it was in the PVP matches.

- Apparently things pick up later on, but at least in the first games it's just endless raptors and pteradons, neither of which are terribly fun enemies. Not exactly making a stellar first impression.

- It would be nice if the matchmaker tried to make sensible teams. Had three tanks, one support and one DPS on my team. After I noticed what was going on I switched from tank to DPS, but neither of the other two did and unsurprisingly we didn't manage to clear stuff too quickly.

- The options are WEIRD. There's settings for aim sensitivity per mecha suit, but only for a couple of mecha suits. What aim sensitivity do the others use? Who the gently caress knows!

- The UI in general is pretty awful. If I want to queue up for a match as something other than the default suit, I have to go to the suit list and favourite whatever suit I want to play as. Why not just let me pick?

- For some bizarre reason if you take a screenshot of the Xbox Series X version, the game freezes for a good second, and when it comes back to life, sound will be out of sync by over a second. There's no way to fix this that I've found.

One thing I do enjoy is a lot of people seem to be really bad at the game, so I was easily able to wipe out the whole enemy team twice over with my invasion dinosaur during the endgame scramble. It was fun to come back from my badly composed team being behind the enemy for the whole game to winning it with a clutch play.

- The PvE finale is another 3 rounds of dinosaur cull with each team still getting a dominator. So still not true PvE. Sometimes specific story missions will force a PvP ending though.

- A lot of the more interesting dinosaurs to fight are level gated unfortunately.

- Favoriting a suit is the way to choose what you load in as, but you can swap at any time before or during the match. Could definitely be better.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Finger locked up on me for about 5 minutes near the end of a match last night.
Really need that auto melee option, cause I'm not going to destroy my hand trying to play Roadblock or while using a dominator.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Finger locked up on me for about 5 minutes near the end of a match last night.
Really need that auto melee option, cause I'm not going to destroy my hand trying to play Roadblock or while using a dominator.

Dominators do have auto-melee. It's just the exosuits that don't have it for whatever reason.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Beyond the capability of hot-swapping mid-match, I will say that I've had plenty of winning rounds light on the actual DPS exosuits. Like, one was Krieger/Roadblock/Skywave/Witchdoctor/Barrage, and we were consistently ahead of the enemy team. I expect part of this is lower general player pool skill around launch, but there's a surprising amount of power in the tanks and supports.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I played this for about 15 minutes on launch and turned it off, but I gave it another go. I'm generally not interested in small-scale PvP, so I've been doing PvE mode exclusively. Between the just-silly-enough story doled out in bits and pieces and the variety of classes, it's growing on me. I even went ahead and bought the season pass, since the game seems just charming enough that I don't mind throwing a few bucks Capcom's way.

So far Skywave is kinda my jam, being able to heal and damage at the same time with some decent CC on the side. If we have too much support, I'll fall back on using Krieger, or else Deadeye. Mowing down waves of raptors gets a bit boring, but it's more interesting once harder dinos start showing up

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I've had games where the other team was stacked with everyone over level 50, module'd to the gills and all the fancy skins.....only to lose to us, the highest level being 13, either no mods slotted and nobody ranked up the ones they had.

There is no rhyme or reason to who gets matched up with who.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The PvE final mission sucks because if one team's behind you just do not have a chance to catch up unless you can instantly snuff their dominator and yours wrecks them. I hate it every time it comes up, even if I'm ahead because it literally reduces the interaction between teams to a single binary point.

And if one person on either team has that option toggled on, guess what? You're doing it! gently caress you! There's no separate queues!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This game is fun as gently caress. I definitely am glad it's on Game Pass, given it's monetization strategy, but I'm having a ton of fun with it. I got to the point where the new dinos and such unlock on Mission 14 Magnum's investigation. They definitely should have frontloaded a bit more of that content, considering the reaction a lot of players have had to the game not realizing that there is a lot more to it beneath the surface, but regardless, I'm hooked.

Burger

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

The fact that you can still be juggled to death by a carno even with max rank impact reduction, is hilariously stupid to me

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

So, the game doesn't replace you with a bot if you crash as the mission ends. You become an invisible object that gets max score and the MVP.

Be funny seeing how that plays out with the Savage Gauntlet leaderboards next week.

I'm super hooked after finishing the story. Went the whole way on PvE prio and it's crazy how much variety was locked behind progression. I mean, just the raids themselves are insane and they're this hidden feature that was barely shown in the non-existent marketing. They're fully fleshed out Final Fantasy 14 raids and fun as gently caress. It should've been front and center. They need their own prio too. You only get them randomly after the first completion.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 21, 2023

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm 72% through the story now, and (B-11 cutscene spoiler) zombie-dinosaur-exofighters :lol: This game is so dumb, but in an endearingly earnest, played-to-the-hilt way. In an era of fourth wall–breaking snark and ironic detachment (Forspoken, anyone?), it's kinda refreshing to see a game embrace its own ridiculousness

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm looking to get the "Kill 20 dinosaurs without a suit" achievement but it doesn't feel right to try that with randos. Anyone want to group up? I'm LammasuRex on Xbox.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

They posted more about Savage Gauntlet at Steam.

TLDR:

*It's a weekly fixed mission with a leaderboard
*5 player PvE mode, extra hard
*No rival group and no dominator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

404notfound posted:

In an era of fourth wall–breaking snark and ironic detachment (Forspoken, anyone?), it's kinda refreshing to see a game embrace its own ridiculousness

Curious over whether you played Forspoken or just repeating what you've heard about it. Honestly I kept thinking of that game while playing this as there's a big disconnect between what everyone assumes the game is like and what it's actually like. Also both games don't make great first impressions.