Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

it's hard to tell if this is one of those things where people really vary or if all the positivity around it is just a coping mechanism because somebody gave up

i think people living alone in boxes right next to each other and not having any friends or irl communication outside financial transactions is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah its just late capitalism :)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

roomtone posted:

it's hard to tell if this is one of those things where people really vary or if all the positivity around it is just a coping mechanism because somebody gave up

i think people living alone in boxes right next to each other and not having any friends or irl communication outside financial transactions is insane

Speaking from personal experience, I've grown to appreciate living alone much more thoroughly since being diagnosed with PTSD, getting on medication for it and making great progress overall. It used to be a coping mechanism but since getting control of the things I was coping with and becoming more open to other people overall, I've realized how important it is to have a personal space that isn't unpredictable or chaotic or subject to change at the whims of others.

So I know firsthand that it can be both a coping mechanism and a healthy expression of self care.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

i don’t gently caress my cat

Usually I do the loving.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also I think "having no friends" is a very different thing today than it was even 20 years ago. Someone with "no friends" today tends to still have a lot of social connections via the internet, someone with no friends is no longer cut off from the entire social world and unable to participate. Something like 40% of US adults say that they don't have a single close friend and yeah I mean that's not a good thing, but it's not quite the same thing as we'd be historically led to believe.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

op, take comfort, you walk a path strode by many

look around, see the signs, they are with you, and you are not alone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

deep dish peat moss posted:

Also I think "having no friends" is a very different thing today than it was even 20 years ago. Someone with "no friends" today tends to still have a lot of social connections via the internet, someone with no friends is no longer cut off from the entire social world and unable to participate. Something like 40% of US adults say that they don't have a single close friend and yeah I mean that's not a good thing, but it's not quite the same thing as we'd be historically led to believe.

I can relate, outside of my partner I have zero irl social life. All my close friends are on the interweb. Anyone I used to know is thousands of miles away and a chud who had kids at 17.
E: the future is now

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Im married to my level 60 night elf mohawk

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
3 cats, so unless I have nightmares I wake up with at least 1 laying on me every day. Usually 1 in the crook of my left elbow, one on my lap, and 1 on the cat tree next to the window. Window dude doesn't like being crowded so he's never in bed with me. He jumps onto my lap when I sit on the toilet instead and is happy to keep me company.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Dick Fontaine posted:

wife pros: basically a giant cat
wife cons: basically a giant cat

how big of a pussy are we talking?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

even if you are married you can always sleep on the couch!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

become a twitch streamer parasocial

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I've been married for over 33 years. In that time, the number of nights my wife and I have not slept in the same bed can be counted on one hand. Most of those were due to hospitalizations.

Yeah, it's pretty great. Sorry for you, OP.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
It's going to destroy us haha life is empty without at least another lmaooo

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

im never alone when I have my fellow SA goons to post with :)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh awesome another en thread in gbs. yeesh!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
just fart on your cat OP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Peggy Edson posted:

I lived alone for a year and a half and had occasional sex with Tinder girls. It was pretty cool. But now I'm engaged and sleep next to my fiance every night with our 5 cats and dogs and it's even better. Guess it's all about perspective op.

basically this. except never getting married again for obvioua reasons. anyway op i guess the answer is "neutral" nd you're on thin ice

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Fatkraken posted:

just fart on your cat OP

This guy gets it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

op it's been a few days, have you found a sleeping partner yet? if not, what do you feel is holding you back? in 99.9% of cases, it's your own fear of success.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

basically this. except never getting married again for obvioua reasons. anyway op i guess the answer is "neutral" nd you're on thin ice

Listen guys, a lot of us weren't nourished or taught the basics of human connection; our lives rife with strife...
I'm gonna invent one of those terms so I can feel opressed; calling myself a nullcell or some poo poo. One whom's sexuality has been nullified by the crushing nothingness of everything

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Nothing yet and the friendly neighbor cat stopped showing up too.

Was trying Hinge but it's looking pretty grim.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

To the man dying of thirst, even the oldest fattest most herpes-ridden water is mother’s milk op

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

No. 6 posted:

no partner, no family, just some friends and a job.

wow look at this guy who has friends

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have good friends, an amazing girlfriend, no job (I'm a disabled lol) and I consciously avoid my family and they don't even know where I live.

Just like, go meet people and date someone if you want to, geez. I was actually planning to be single for the rest of my life, and I was very happy doing so, so the whole girlfriend thing was unplanned and took me by surprise lol

My weirdo goblin housemate is rad too. We've been living together going on three years now, through a couple different places. It's rad when you have a housemate that actually works out.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mental Hospitality posted:

I love living alone. I'm not a total recluse or anything; wanna go get drinks or dinner? Absolutely I'm down. But my home is my quiet, peaceful sanctuary where I can shut out the world.

I feel like all my relationships have ended badly with terrible heartache so I don't even miss being with someone.

How do you feel about people coming over to your sanctuary?

Because, I despise it to no end. Even like family. My mom is a Saint, so when her and my Aunt visit, they stay in a hotel.
(I have like a 900 sqft house, regardless, with a second bedroom as a storage area)

But even repairmen coming in, I have to swallow the whole *INTRUDER INTRUDER INTRUDER* alert

syntaxfunction posted:

My weirdo goblin housemate is rad too. We've been living together going on three years now, through a couple different places. It's rad when you have a housemate that actually works out.

do they ever go into Goblin Mode, and start walking around weird, making guttural noises, and putting silverware and what not in a sack?

or just a normal goblin housemate?

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 23, 2023

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

My wife and kids and dogs are loud and always up my rear end but I love them so I’m glad I’m not alone OP.

Find someone online and promise not to be an axe murderer (but not too early in the conversation) and you’ll fix yourself up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dick Fontaine posted:

wife pros: basically a giant cat
wife cons: basically a giant cat

Please don't gently caress your pets.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

sigher posted:

Please don't gently caress your pets.

Don't gently caress me

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

Don't gently caress me

Look buddy, he's gotta gently caress something

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Saalkin posted:

Look buddy, he's gotta gently caress something

Alright, but only tuesdays and holidays.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Genesplicer posted:

I've been married for over 33 years. In that time, the number of nights my wife and I have not slept in the same bed can be counted on one hand. Most of those were due to hospitalizations.

Yeah, it's pretty great. Sorry for you, OP.

I feel more sorry for your wife.

God, can you imagine?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

madeintaipei posted:

I feel more sorry for your wife.

God, can you imagine?

brings new meaning to getting probed with a sixer

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

chain-probing :dogstare:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Bad Purchase posted:

brings new meaning to getting probed with a sixer

Pretty good

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012
I went friendless in 2019. Originally, it was only an experiment I wanted to try for a couple of months, but I liked living like this. I lost the circle of friends I had built up until 2018, but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

I get enough social interactions at online meetups on topics I am interested in or at weekly exercise meetups. I had some good and some bad experiences with people I met for sex after talking to them online. Without regularly meeting friends, I had more time to focus on my career. Waking up on the weekends unconstrained by what other people expected of me was liberating. Going friendless also made it easier to live and work in six different countries.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
looking back, the time inbetween wives was the absolute best ive ever had in my entire life.
even having a partner that lives in their own place, is absolutely preferrable to living together, and thats even before factoring in kids.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

I work graveyard shift, so that's a normal occurrence

CantFindGoodName
Dec 10, 2020

interwhat posted:

Better than waking up dead. Or is it?

Do you really wake up dead if you’re dead enough to not wake up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Less Is Definitely posted:

I went friendless in 2019. Originally, it was only an experiment I wanted to try for a couple of months, but I liked living like this. I lost the circle of friends I had built up until 2018, but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

I get enough social interactions at online meetups on topics I am interested in or at weekly exercise meetups. I had some good and some bad experiences with people I met for sex after talking to them online. Without regularly meeting friends, I had more time to focus on my career. Waking up on the weekends unconstrained by what other people expected of me was liberating. Going friendless also made it easier to live and work in six different countries.

this sounds like mental illness