Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

I am the embodiment of Patrick Bateman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I can imagine waking up next to someone every day but it's not a pretty picture because I always sleep poorly when next to someone. I get the romance/intimacy thing but it's not for me.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
It vacillated from weird and painful (going thru my divorce) to nice but lonely (on my own in my own place) to nice but wishing I was alone (post divorce hook ups) to remarried and fulfilling to have the right someone there, along with a cat that wants to be held like a doll in bed when it's time to sleep

I think we always wonder what the norm is for other people but the fact is they're doing the exact same thing and you just gotta find joy where you can

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My wife seemingly doesn’t understand how evaporation works and she just scrunches up the kitchen towel on the towel rack after drying dishes, no folding or giving it spread out air space to dry. That’s about the worst thing she does. I’m considering divorce, too much for one man to stand.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

My wife seemingly doesn’t understand how evaporation works and she just scrunches up the kitchen towel on the towel rack after drying dishes, no folding or giving it spread out air space to dry. That’s about the worst thing she does. I’m considering divorce, too much for one man to stand.

That's pretty rough. Good luck.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Same but instead of a towel, my partner puts the spoon they use to mix sugar and milk into their tea directly on the counter and just leave it there for me to find hours later and clean up.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

marshmallow creep posted:

Same but instead of a towel, my partner puts the spoon they use to mix sugar and milk into their tea directly on the counter and just leave it there for me to find hours later and clean up.

Better to die alone than compromise on this one and live with a flawed human imho

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

blight rhino posted:

do they ever go into Goblin Mode, and start walking around weird, making guttural noises, and putting silverware and what not in a sack?

or just a normal goblin housemate?

I was gonna say the second one, but she does pretty much all of those things except the sack of silverware, but she also likes stealing poo poo for fun. Like, sometimes she'll just pickpocket my phone for a laugh. She gives it back immediately so it's alright tho.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Mozi posted:

i have two dogs and the first thing i do when i wake up is pet them a while

Yeah this post reminded me of when I had a dog and my alarm would go off and sometimes he'd sort of blink lazily and I'd kiss his furry head and pet him a bit and sometimes he'd curl back up next to me and sleep more but most of the time the dog would wake up like "oh poo poo it's a new day AGAIN?! And Floodixor is here?! gently caress yes gently caress YES LETS DO THIS" and either way was a great way to start the day :gbsmith:

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012

Saalkin posted:

this sounds like mental illness

Can you explain why you think this way?

For context, my experiment with going solitary in 2019 was in part inspired by this Psychology Today article: The Recluse Option - Why the solitary lifestyle merits more consideration.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i sleep in a three story atrium full of tropical birds and plants, pros calming water elements to fall asleep too and gentle birdsongs to wake up to cons wake up covered in bird poo poo every day

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

are YOU happy with it op

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I mean, considering the voices in our head, are we ever truly alone?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

I’d get rid of those friends immediately OP because then you are truly free and may die the noblest of deaths: your skeleton being stumbled upon by a pest control guy who enters the wrong apartment

I’ve been fortunate not to walk in on a corpse, but I’ve had coworkers who’ve found old dead people and suicide victims. Please go die in nature somewhere.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my house is part of nature, and so is my couch

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
i thought pencilhands posted this

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’ve lived a pretty solitary life and have been single 99% of the time. It took me 40 years to figure out this is okay.

Sleeping next to the few long term gf’s I’ve had has always been uncomfortable. Can’t rip rear end and sometimes you just need to rub one out to get comfy but women can’t understand this and then they’re pissed I didn’t engage in Sexy time but I just need to blast in 1 minute and then hit the pillow gd it.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
I live by myself which is really nice, but otherwise meh I'm pretty lonely, but my life is p much work, blaze, constantly be online, hang out w/ cat and play videogames

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Saalkin posted:

this sounds like mental illness

do you know which one cause youd save me a trip

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I’ve lived a pretty solitary life and have been single 99% of the time. It took me 40 years to figure out this is okay.

Sleeping next to the few long term gf’s I’ve had has always been uncomfortable. Can’t rip rear end and sometimes you just need to rub one out to get comfy but women can’t understand this and then they’re pissed I didn’t engage in Sexy time but I just need to blast in 1 minute and then hit the pillow gd it.

:same:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I've shared this tale before, but it is worth repeating. Just to horrify you all.

Had a neighbor that passed about 12 years ago. She was in her 70's, a chain-smoker, and a nudist, living on 6 acres in the middle of a forest. She most definitely woke up alone every day.

A UPS delivery person had a total freak-out upon discovering her naked body on the swing chair on her porch. It had been there a few days and the wasps and bugs were getting busy with her corpse. She had a burned out cig still in her fingers. It's kind of impressive that the smoke did not start a fire and burn the place down.

That's probably the worst "waking up alone" tale I have.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Both my partner of 11 years and I have our own places, we’re together about half the time and apart the rest, and since we’re both introverts who highly value peace and quiet, it works out really well. A lot of people <eyes Genesplicer> don’t really understand living apart from your partner, but you can’t miss someone if you(or they) never leave.

Plus she’s a bit of a slob(not gross, like food sitting out, just a little messy)and I’m kinda anal about putting things away right away, so my house can be organized and hers can be chaotic without stressing anyone out.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Genesplicer posted:

I've been married for over 33 years. In that time, the number of nights my wife and I have not slept in the same bed can be counted on one hand. Most of those were due to hospitalizations.

Yeah, it's pretty great. Sorry for you, OP.

Sigh
Sounds wonderful Gene :love:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

OP feel free to print out my posts and sleep with them under your pillow. :love:

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

And you may ask yourself, "Where is that large automobile?"

And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful house"

And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful wife, I don't have one."

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I woke up today alone and it was nice. Had spent the night in St. Pete.

Ground coffee, made a french press and walked it across the street, sat down and smoked a joint. Just enjoyed the day.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
if ur happy and not hurting others its probably good. if your lying to yourself about ur happiness and just pretending, it might be bad actually. okay, good luck.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

loving someone else means accepting that there will never be another uncluttered surface in your home for the rest of your life. sure you’ll spend a few years trying—but, eventually you realize that, like nature, your partner abhors a vacuum and then you just sort of give up and start wearing clothes from costco

so you’ve got that going for you op

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
you telling me costco has clothes? I just bought a gross of khakis at nearly full retail god damnit

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Get a dog op.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

I was gonna say the second one, but she does pretty much all of those things except the sack of silverware, but she also likes stealing poo poo for fun. Like, sometimes she'll just pickpocket my phone for a laugh. She gives it back immediately so it's alright tho.

Color me jealous!

i pickpocket my own phone then forget I have it and have to search around like a nincompoop

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mental Hospitality posted:

I love living alone. I'm not a total recluse or anything; wanna go get drinks or dinner? Absolutely I'm down. But my home is my quiet, peaceful sanctuary where I can shut out the world.

I feel like all my relationships have ended badly with terrible heartache so I don't even miss being with someone.

do you ever invite people into your sanctuary?

I don't.

Try explaining that to a prospective date, lol. "I think you're cool, and awesome, and I'd love to spend more time with you. ... Just at your place. Not mine. Mine is off limits"
But maybe I haven't found that Special One (5 Special Ones, later, lol)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

could be worse. you could wake up dead every day

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

blight rhino posted:

do you ever invite people into your sanctuary?

I don't.

Try explaining that to a prospective date, lol. "I think you're cool, and awesome, and I'd love to spend more time with you. ... Just at your place. Not mine. Mine is off limits"
But maybe I haven't found that Special One (5 Special Ones, later, lol)

they worried you got skull altars

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Dick Fontaine posted:

loving someone else means accepting that there will never be another uncluttered surface in your home for the rest of your life. sure you’ll spend a few years trying—but, eventually you realize that, like nature, your partner abhors a vacuum and then you just sort of give up and start wearing clothes from costco

so you’ve got that going for you op

Oh no this is me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have really bad ADHD and like most people with really bad ADHD my home has to be willfully cluttered or else I forget about all of my possessions. Anything that's in a closet or a drawer no longer exists. Everything must be strewn about the available surface space and on display at all times to continue existing.