Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I assume he’s somewhere in the metaverse now or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

looks like he gets paid to get speeches to marketing saps about creativity

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they got into the mech OP

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

looks like he's giving incomprehensible soundbites for youtube channels whose videos get 75 views a month

"listen to Shingy's controversial thoughts on emerging tech platforms such as ChatGBT and more."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8J1Rnm1s0

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Dijkstracula posted:

looks like he's giving incomprehensible soundbites for youtube channels whose videos get 75 views a month

"listen to Shingy's controversial thoughts on emerging tech platforms such as ChatGBT and more."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8J1Rnm1s0

lol "Channel Factory"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Dijkstracula posted:

I think they mean ChatLGBTQ+

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

he died op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

His hair is super gross

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have a soft spot for shingy, never read *that* much about what he had to say, but the classic "next *unfriending* will be the big deal" was simply correct, and not at all obvious at the time i think.

generally he was a bit of a modern version of victorian british lords having an unkempt philosopher in a cave on the property, mostly as a spectacle. gone back out of style, as now the people expounding random theories about technology are: full of themselves pretending they're doing science; and; way less interested in the actually relevant social aspects of it all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idk, the "unfriending" thing was pretty obvious if you go with "things happen in cycles" and "what is the opposite of the current thing that is happening now?"

so compared to the tech press and the hype bubble at the time, absolutely visionary, but not some incredibly deep insight

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

idk, the "unfriending" thing was pretty obvious if you go with "things happen in cycles" and "what is the opposite of the current thing that is happening now?"

so compared to the tech press and the hype bubble at the time, absolutely visionary, but not some incredibly deep insight

i honestly wonder how much it is hindsight making you say that though. i might just be really stupid, but at the time i am pretty sure I viewed it as pure dumb contrarianism

but, either way, was kind of cool to have a semi-famous weird goblin who said such things

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'll take one shingy over several zucks and/or musks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i honestly wonder how much it is hindsight making you say that though. i might just be really stupid, but at the time i am pretty sure I viewed it as pure dumb contrarianism

but, either way, was kind of cool to have a semi-famous weird goblin who said such things

i literally said it at the time, when we were talking about the presentation where he said it

he even framed it in those terms, IIRC

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i literally said it at the time, when we were talking about the presentation where he said it

grow your hair out and go on tv, i implore you

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I would watch a programme where a bunch of yospos talking heads try to predict the future that'd be great

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

His hair is super gross

post yours. let's compare

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'll need glasses. without glasses you just look unkempt and mentally unhealthy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I would watch a programme where a bunch of yospos talking heads try to predict the future that'd be great

the yospos vision of the future is everything getting shittier, forever. idk if that makes for a good ted talk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

post yours. let's compare

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Born in mountain view
built a server cave
zucking and muskin
is all i crave

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Born in mountain view
built a server cave
zucking and muskin
is all i crave

Shingy, but he still zuckin'

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

His hair is super gross

it has that 'actually, humans don't need to bathe :smug:*' cs 2nd year energy

*conflating bathing with using soap etc.

i'll need glasses. without glasses you just look unkempt and mentally unhealthy

again-

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
when u order jaron lanier from wish

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shingy, but he still zuckin'

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shingy tazed his balls, they exploded, and he had a heart attack and died on the steps of the capitol building on Jan 6th.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wayne Knight posted:

Shingy tazed his balls, they exploded, and he had a heart attack and died on the steps of the capitol building on Jan 6th.

i don't think that was shingy

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

i have a soft spot for shingy, never read *that* much about what he had to say, but the classic "next *unfriending* will be the big deal" was simply correct, and not at all obvious at the time i think.

generally he was a bit of a modern version of victorian british lords having an unkempt philosopher in a cave on the property, mostly as a spectacle. gone back out of style, as now the people expounding random theories about technology are: full of themselves pretending they're doing science; and; way less interested in the actually relevant social aspects of it all.

I like him because he rearranged all the office chairs in that meeting room and annoyed some executive

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

i don't think that was shingy

it was

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can tell it was bc he has the taser hair

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

turns out dumb contrarianism can mean your right a lot of the time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he even framed it in those terms, IIRC

this guy is shigny irl

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shingy made it. the griftiest of grifts. he is a true one, mad respect

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

theres a lot of known people who are annoying but ultimately harmless in these spaces imo and shingy was one of them

i would also call my self one but no one knows me and i hope to keep it that way

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

turns out dumb contrarianism can mean your right a lot of the time

that’s a relief.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

who would win, 1000 posters or one shingy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

shingy. he has an almost supernatural talent for posting