Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have a soft spot for shingy, never read *that* much about what he had to say, but the classic "next *unfriending* will be the big deal" was simply correct, and not at all obvious at the time i think.

generally he was a bit of a modern version of victorian british lords having an unkempt philosopher in a cave on the property, mostly as a spectacle. gone back out of style, as now the people expounding random theories about technology are: full of themselves pretending they're doing science; and; way less interested in the actually relevant social aspects of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

idk, the "unfriending" thing was pretty obvious if you go with "things happen in cycles" and "what is the opposite of the current thing that is happening now?"

so compared to the tech press and the hype bubble at the time, absolutely visionary, but not some incredibly deep insight

i honestly wonder how much it is hindsight making you say that though. i might just be really stupid, but at the time i am pretty sure I viewed it as pure dumb contrarianism

but, either way, was kind of cool to have a semi-famous weird goblin who said such things

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i literally said it at the time, when we were talking about the presentation where he said it

grow your hair out and go on tv, i implore you