Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/titanic-submarine-missing-rescue-mission-underway-newfoundland-canada/

I may be an rear end in a top hat but this seems so ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

RIP to the billionaire, he was one of the good ones

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:cthulhu:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure these trips cost in the 6 figure range. I don't have a ton of sympathy for people that rich.

However they are possibly going to die in one of the more mentally terrible ways. In the dark, slowly running out of oxygen with no chance of escape. It's only slightly better than being buried alive in a casket.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bad Purchase posted:

Just like you should never, under any circumstances, "have to hand it to them", there are no good billionaires.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

wilderthanmild posted:

Pretty sure these trips cost in the 6 figure range. I don't have a ton of sympathy for people that rich.

However they are possibly going to die in one of the more mentally terrible ways. In the dark, slowly running out of oxygen with no chance of escape. It's only slightly better than being buried alive in a casket.

The more likely scenario is that the hull of the sub was compromised and they died instantly as it violently imploded under the intense water pressure.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
This is being talked about in like every thread i regularly peruse so I guess billionaire death during submarine exploration is some sort of singularity of my interests :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

DrSunshine posted:

Just like you should never, under any circumstances, "have to hand it to them", there are no good billionaires.

he hoarded his great wealth to the benefit of all

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i bet they're all partying on the titanic with a bunch of cool edwardian sea phantoms while we're all up here worrying. stupid rich assholes

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

they're chillin with that jamaican crab from the little mermaid

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

After reading his wiki he just seems like a guy that wanted his name on a bunch of unnecessary expeditions. I mean he moved a few cheetahs once but I feel like a billionaire could be doing more for the world.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Death By SnuSnu posted:

After reading his wiki he just seems like a guy that wanted his name on a bunch of unnecessary expeditions. I mean he moved a few cheetahs once but I feel like a billionaire could be doing more for the world.

pfft i can move some cheetahs my uncle has a ford focus estate i could borrow, could have them moved in a jiffy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Death By SnuSnu posted:

his absence will be felt by many whose wealth he accumulated never knowing

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

I'm all for the kraken theory but do they like cold water? Maybe a giant sea spider...

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

wilderthanmild posted:

If it hasn't been crushed by the pressure they have about 70-96 hours of oxygen left

I'm assuming there was some catastrophic failure though

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

https://youtu.be/4xh1HNElJoU

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

pfft i can move some cheetahs my uncle has a ford focus estate i could borrow, could have them moved in a jiffy

I hope it's not leather

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I would just fabricate a repair tool with some titanium, cave sulphur, and silicone rubber.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

biznatchio posted:

The more likely scenario is that the hull of the sub was compromised and they died instantly as it violently imploded under the intense water pressure.

We're going to need another wreckage discovery sub

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Even if they are still alive, I think they are pretty much hosed.

Watched a BBC news clip and they said that rescue subs cannot go that deep and even if they could, the hatches do not match.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
in 30 years they will send down an unmanned probe to recover the billionaire gold

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It was the Titanic! It killed them!! It's come back!!! And it's PISSED the FREAK OFF!!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Elon should get in another sub to go rescue them

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Nowher posted:

Even if they are still alive, I think they are pretty much hosed.

Watched a BBC news clip and they said that rescue subs cannot go that deep and even if they could, the hatches do not match.

Prob bought the hatch off Amazon when they got the video game controller.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Elon should get in another sub to go rescue them

Only if he's in it

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

biznatchio posted:

I don't know about that. It sounds from the bits I've watched, the part they actually put resources into was making it structurally sound and able to withstand pressure. The entire rest of the submersible seems to be super macgyvered up so something like an electrical failure taking basically the entire craft offline or the ballast tanks being hosed up and making surfacing impossible seems just as likely as a catastrophic failure of the pressure vessel.

I dunno if they'll ever find this thing though.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 20, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

wilderthanmild posted:

Plus I saw a news clip where they had a previous passenger on this talk about the jankiness of the sub and he said it has a bathroom system that's basically ziploc bags so have a great final day(s) folks.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The ocean claiming rich people is not the course I was expecting this season to take.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
i hope it sinks directly into the titanic's rear end in a top hat

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
my wife and I got a print out submariner "license" because we got in some touristy mini sub in Cozumel, Mexico.

I will use these qualifications to answer any and all questions the thread may have

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Karma Comedian posted:

The ocean claiming rich people is not the course I was expecting this season to take.

A welcomed plot twist

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
A submarine license is the forklift certification of the ocean

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Shinjobi posted:

my wife and I got a print out submariner "license" because we got in some touristy mini sub in Cozumel, Mexico.

I will use these qualifications to answer any and all questions the thread may have

Why aren't you saving them right now?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
This is how they controlled it

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jesus, it's not even an Xbox controller. It's a cheap Logitech with weird thumbstick mods.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've seen controls on industrial and aviation equipment way worse than a gamepad

i have a feeling that controller was one of the best designed parts of the whole operation

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This is how they controlled it

Thats loving insane lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They died because of stick drift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007