Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Super comedy option

The electronics failed

The emergency "get to the surface" system (if they had one) goes and they all go "phew so glad we got out of that one lads"

Only to be lost at sea with no backup communication system and everyone is kinda scanning the ocean when they are dieing of c02 poisoning on the surface like 100 miles away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Podcast guy on the sub
"Well I brought my equipment, y'all wanna record a poddy?"

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lol

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Delthalaz posted:

How likely is it that the “banging” has anything to do with the sub?

From what I understand the banging is a "failsafe" that automatically goes off and makes the kind of noise that can be zeroed in on so the sub can be rescued

This should not be taken as evidence that

A. The sub is in one piece
B. The passengers are alive
C. The thumper is even attached to the sub

It is just a timer and a maracca, that's it

Also, y'all need to think about what pressure is and how it works,

Jestery fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 21, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, D. The thumping heard was the beacon and not some other ocean noise

While true, I think it seems to be regular which would be some evidence of it being the device in question

However , yes it could be some weird other thing that isn't the sub/device

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hotel Kpro posted:

It could be literally anything, it could even be a boat!

Yeah but if they are detecting on the half hour banging, and the sub was equipped with such a device, it certainly points at it being the source

Again, it could be as described and attached to a scrap of carbon fibre following ocean currents, but it at least supports the implosion theory rather than the surfaced and lost theory

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'll bring up the USS Thresher case again, where some search and rescue ships repeated hearing regular banging and even garbled radio transmissions from the wreck of the Thresher for quite some time afterwards, and were convinced the ship was still intact with people waiting for rescue and trying to communicate.

Since then experiments and investigations have confirmed that the sub imploded in the blink of an eye, and the search and rescue boats were just confusing some other random sounds as signs of life from the Thresher.

e:

Ships make regular noises. There's plenty of ships in the area. I'm not saying it's impossible for the sub to still be intact, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Neither would I, I think ultimately we are in heated agreement. I had read somewhere that the little thumper device was a seperate system that could survive the pressure.

I still think best case scenario is that the thumper leads them to a wide debris patch littered with carbon fibre and maybe a titanium dome is found

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

yo teach

this poo poo is hard man

You want me to get gradual release of responsibility on yo rear end?

Or would you prefer a play based pedegogy?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

DSV Limiting Factor!

At least in that instance, it's less a rich man's toy and more the rich dude owning the research outfit that operates the sub and does proper science with the thing. GabeN himself isn't cavorting around the sea floor menacing crabs with one of his big-rear end knives.

Gaben just smashing crabs with a cold steel kukri

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lol that the poop curtain is at the bottom of the ocean

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

Apparently they've lost this submersible several times before, like they just couldn't fuckin find it because it doesn't have a beacon or a gps. I bet it's just sitting there 20 feet below the water's surface

Yeah this is the poo poo I'm just dumbfounded on

Like what good is text message communication for navigation?

"I went a little bit forward"
"Sure thing boss"

"Battery at 83%"
"Ok"

"The alarm for hull damage beeped once or twice we are going to come up"
"Ok"

How does send text communication help you navigate 4km down?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is the rest of the world really worried about them or something?

Everyone is being performatively worried, but no one but the immediate family cares, which while tragic for them ,they inarguably did something really stupid and are paying the price

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lol

Think to yourself , how should the titanium dome be bolted on?

M10 bolts?
What torque rating?
Any special fitment?

Like actually consider it

Now watch this
https://youtu.be/OyVA4O_kH-U

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

🎉

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hold on

Is that the undertaker's music?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

Siri. I’m keen to see more video of people doing something incredibly stupid with no regard for health and safety

https://twitter.com/avgeekcal/status/1671529602928320512?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

One of my strongest memories is when a replica spitfire was taxi'ing up a small incline infront of me and I was lifted clean off my feet and was flailing around holding onto ersatz guard rail, my father smiling at the ñearning experience afterwards

The spitfire was a V12(?) Prop plane

That jet engine poo poo is absolute madness holy hell

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

ethanol posted:

people saying its normal to use that controller are absolutely hosed btw. unlike a video game where you can set them down or literally throw them in the case of Stockton rush because it might fall in such a way as to maneuver the sub in some way which kills you. You can bind a button that you have to hold down but now it becomes unintuitive and uncomfortable. It's not even waterproof lol. I don't care that it's not what killed him it's going on the list. this is after I watched the tweet where he explains how he describes throwing the controller around to people and lets them drive

Stockton should be at the top of every engineering failure powerpoint they give at all the engineer schools. right next to tacoma narrows, challenger, rbmk reactors etc.

he failed at every thing god bless

Yeah I don't disagree with this

Like the whole using a controller does make sense, in that video games involve an altered 3 dimensional movement schema and intuitive controls, and for this a RC controller or video game controller is at least understandable.

What isn't is the cavalier attitude

Like you say "we use an Xbox controller" and I'm imagining a hardened thing on stick like at a 90s McDonald's or W/E that has been tested and calibrated by a technician

Not a thing you are throwing round on a sub and giving to the crew to drive the groversub around on with Madonna tits

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

God I hope it's a dome with the acrylic caved in like a Bethesda/obra dinn environmental storytelling thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Schweinhund posted:

I was able to recreate the last moments of the Titan submersible.

https://tinyurl.com/2vrh4zrz

JFC lol