Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

RIP to the billionaire, he was one of the good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

DrSunshine posted:

Just like you should never, under any circumstances, "have to hand it to them", there are no good billionaires.

he hoarded his great wealth to the benefit of all

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Death By SnuSnu posted:

After reading his wiki he just seems like a guy that wanted his name on a bunch of unnecessary expeditions. I mean he moved a few cheetahs once but I feel like a billionaire could be doing more for the world.

his absence will be felt by many whose wealth he accumulated never knowing

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've seen controls on industrial and aviation equipment way worse than a gamepad

i have a feeling that controller was one of the best designed parts of the whole operation

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they accidentally activated the turbo switch

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i bet they got too close to the underwater alien base that all the UAPs come from, just like titanic did in 1912

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

what if we lose that one too

kinda reminds me of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Shaw

diver died in a deep lake

another diver found him 10 years later and organized a dive to recover the body, then died in the process

and then a 3rd dive team went in to retrieve him, and lived

so we're going to need at least 3 of these things by my reckoning

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there wasn't even a periscope on this thing, how you gonna even call it a submarine?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

4.3 stars, could be a lot worse

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

as a kid i had some off brand N64 controllers with an asymmetric 2 prong design instead of the classic 3 prong from nintendo. i want to say the brand was pelican.

anyway, those things held up incredibly well and still work today. not all 3rd party controls are bad.

e: or maybe it was super pad?

hmm, yeah, this looks like it
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1w7zx3/this_was_my_3rd_party_controller_of_choice_that/

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

are we sure this wasn't sabotage by one of the passengers to undermine the noble OceanGate venture? is it possible one of them was a pedophile? i'm only asking here.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the trip "only" cost $250k. that's rich people territory, but not like hoarding the same wealth as an entire nation rich.

as far as deserving to die that way, if the hull ruptured it's not a bad way to go, dead before you know it. sucks for you family who won't have anything to recover.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

well it worked last few times so now it’s proven technology

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

BBC reporting they've been doing radar searches and the Coast Guard is moving their search to deep waters now and there are sonar ships coming to the scene. Sounds like the searchers have pretty much given up on the theory that it's surfaced.

i doubt they’ve stopped searching the surface, they’re probably doing both in parallel because they have no clue. however, the rescue efforts should focus on the survivable scenarios, which would be that they surfaced without working comms or that they are stuck / very slowly ascending at some intermediate depth where a rescue could perhaps be attempted.

they’re probably already dead in a crumpled heap on the floor of the ocean but that’s not a useful rescue scenario to put all their tools toward in the first few days.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

fishing with the fam posted:

lol, has a billion dollars but still has to share a coffin.

some people of extreme wealth throughout history have shared their tomb with their adoring servants, there’s precedent here

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

spending resources on rescue equipment is self defeating, if you prepare to fail you will fail. better to put those resources toward guaranteeing mission success.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

is the toilet actually bolted down, or is it one of those portable ones for van campers that you can just move anywhere? maybe making GBS threads by the window isn't the only option.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

I don't even think it's a real toilet, it's a box with a toilet seat-shaped thing on top

there are "portable toilets" that you can buy that are exactly that, a seat with a small chamber underneath meant to contain the piss and poo poo somewhere until you can empty it later, they cost like $50 on amazon

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Delthalaz posted:

so is offering to drown rich people a good business model? could I charge rich people a cheaper $150k to drown them locally? Like look guys if you want to drown do I have a steal for you, we have a beautiful lake nearby

nobody is going to pay big money to be drowned, you need to instantly crush them to death if you expect to earn a living off it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

Those billionaires stuck down there better check out the hook while the DJ revolves it

vanilla iceberg, baby

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Donnerberg posted:

If any of you know Blink 182, call them right the gently caress now and tell them to cover My Heart Will Go On.

DMing them on bluesky right now

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just got word that they were all found safe and alive, and ticket sales for next year's dives have resumed

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

verbal enema posted:

How much does it take to build like a modern military sub? 20 million or some poo poo?

:lol:

$20M is the amount in the budget just for the scrum masters

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Wee posted:

Anyone with an account keeping an eye on DeviantArt for cool fan art about this?

there's a megathread for that kind of thing already

come to think of it, i haven't seen it pop to the front of the pile lately, wonder why

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If it makes you feel better it takes the human nervous system 200 ms to react to stimuli and they were dead in half that time so they never felt it (assuming it imploded)

maybe you need 200 ms, but us elite gamers can react to being boiled and pasted in less than a single frame

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it was a no-scope submersible

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

using a logitech gamepad, amazon toilet, and rv handrail on the interior doesn’t seem like that big of a deal. the interior isn’t structural and doesn’t need to be that rugged. it may look dumb but is not that likely to cause catastrophic failure.

i’m way more concerned about their “aerospace” carbon fiber hull that apparently did not get any certification, and someone earlier mentioned that it failed once in testing (though i couldn’t find the source). also the lack of backup communication and tracking systems is an enormous red flag, way more than 3d printed thumbstick nipples.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Seth Pecksniff posted:

STOLEN LOST SUB VALOR

david pogue is the brian williams of tech fluff pieces

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's a lot of good analysis here, but he seems to think this is the first time the vehicle went to that depth and with more than one person on board. there is video from them visiting the titanic wreck in the past with multiple crew, so that part at least is wrong.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

JerikTelorian posted:

They were lost an hour and 45 minutes into the dive on Sunday.

Real submarines designed for underwater travel use inertial navigation systems (INS) because satnav is just not an option under even a little bit of water. Military subs can of course surface to re-align using SATNAV or stars or use towed buoys to do so from just under the surface, but there's a lot of technology not to mention crew skilled in rote navigation to make sure submarines and even surface vessels know where they are.

it did have INS, so the operator on board would've had some idea where / how deep they were, but it lost comms with the surface. this was apparently expected and happened on a previous dive, but in that case contact was regained when they began to surface at the end of the dive.

comms ending at 1:45 doesn't necessarily mean that's when a failure occurred, though it's not a bad guess. i read something about it sending an acoustic pulse every 15 minutes, and by now i assume they've had multiple ships listening for any sign of it in a wide area and haven't heard anything. that to me is the biggest indicator that it's not simply lost, it's destroyed or completely disabled.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 20, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Commander Jebus posted:

INS doesn't tell you how deep you are, you've got a pressure/depth sensor for that.

you sure INS doesn't tell you depth? do they make special ones for ocean use that aren't 3-axis? i'm a bit familiar with their use in aviation (not super versed, i've worked on software that collects that data stream from a GPS/IMU, but don't really know all the math that goes into combining them into a final result), but i know it worked in all 3 axes.

or do you just mean they would ignore the INS depth reading in oceanic use and rely on pressure instead? i could see how converting pressure to depth would be more accurate in the long run, since the IMU accumulates error from the moment you start using it. while whatever error there is in pressure to depth conversion would stay about the same the whole time.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 20, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Three Olives posted:

Doesn't the military have the ocean floor pretty extensively mapped at this point? There are obvious reasons to avoid active sonar, but I feel like they probably have something like TERCOM via sonar if they really needed to.

you can get a job doing this and be referred to as a sounding professional

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the question about mapping the sea floor just comes down to what resolution you mean. there are obviously coarse maps of the whole thing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Commander Jebus posted:

I mean in theory INS could, but no one does because of the error accumulation with INS systems. It's far safer and more accurate to use a pressure based depth sensor. Keep in mind a RLGN system can drift 3000 yards with 30hrs of removing the GPS fix and still be "in spec" for most navies. In depth terms that's way past crush depth errors.

yeah, that makes more sense, thanks

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ProperCoochie posted:

Every rich is a dumbass moron and every rich kid is a psychopath. Shame on our society that we don't talk about this as we just praise their magical one weird trick to billions in wealth.

actually he was suffering from affluenza, and we should offer our support and understanding

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

imagine having your own submarine but you don't even use it to sabotage the world's busiest oil pipelines constantly, like do you even care about the climate a little bit?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

groverhaus is still standing to this day

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

in addition to testing at 3x the pressure, they should've tested with 3x as many billionaires on board before offering service to individual billionaires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

holefoods posted:

they couldn’t find a 4km tether on amazon

the trick is to tweet that you want to buy one and an AI will setup a storefront where you can buy a 4 km tether automatically