Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQCvtPS2fLc

Seems there are seven separate systems for surfacing the sub.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

A 1000m depth. If a submersible is cracked, the water fills the airspace in about 100ms, and creates a compression ratio of 100:1 (a diesel engine is about 13:1) which ignites anything inside at 20,000°C.

At 3800m it's a 380:1 compression ratio.

:science:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

SwissDonkey posted:

What's gonna get you first, the crushing injuries or being vaporised by the heat from compression?

I suppose the water puts the out the carbonised humans in 200ms?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I doubt they imploded though. Some French guy said the implosion can be picked up on sonar and happens in 20 milliseconds at that depth.

With that stupid frame thing around it and all the bits to catch on. I think they might be entangled on the Titanic or the wreckage in the trench around it due to the strong currents. Therefore the seven (7) separate systems to get positively buoyant do gently caress all.

Maybe an electrical/hardware/software failure or fire?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Look at all that poo poo on it designed to get entangled.

Blow fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 20, 2023

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Can a mod change the thread title to Submersible on expedition to Titanic missing please?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

I wonder how detectable an implosion would be.

Like are there navy subs tooling around who heard it but didn't have reason to think anything of it.

Or the SOSUS guys heard it but have a strict 'Nothing that reveals our capabilities' policy and are keeping quiet for now.

Paging Flying Lemur to the thread.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Does anyone understand exactly how the submersible communicates with the surface ship?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Ralph Crammed In posted:

In this article here - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/titanic-submersible-titan-missing-day-3-1.6881595?cmp=rss

Short answer, text messages. On the phone. Slowly. That's it.

Article is an interview with a guy who did the dive a while ago. He says he still has nightmares about it.

Listen to this guy.

LISTEN | Colin Taylor speaks with CBC Radio's As It Happens:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Short answer, text messages. On the phone. Slowly. That's it.

I want the long answer dude. How do the text messages get back and forth down there?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

^^^ P.J. Harvey

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Starlink, evidently. As far as I can tell, it's whatever kind of internet Starlink sends out. As to how well that works under miles of water? Not great, evidently! To be fair, this hasn't been a problem for anyone up until now, so I can't blame anyone for not really knowing how well wifi or whatever Starlink is works in the deep abyss.

I personally, as a billionaire, would have used a 3.8km long fibre optic cable on a sturdy cable attached to the submersible for comms. Although I suppose that could get entangled. Maybe some directionally-focused sonar system as well? And the big rear end winch on a ship could pull you up with great force if you were to become entangled, whereas with dumping ballast at zero buoyancy there is gently caress all force to break free at first.

Good thing I'm not a billionaire :downs:

Blow fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 20, 2023

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

stealie72 posted:

They're in a pressure vessel, they won't get the bends.

^^^

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Most excellent thread title change.

:hfive:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

I think my post history has memorialized it enough for myself. May the posts get lost in the annals of the interwebs.

Same.

:hfive:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Blow posted:

I doubt they imploded though. Some French guy said the implosion can be picked up on sonar and happens in 20 milliseconds at that depth.

Well, I was wrong about the implosion, but that's cause the French guy said it would have been immediately picked up on sonar. Which turns out it was.

I also made up the 100ms thing. I think it's much faster than that.

All the other poo poo I said was actual physics.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is incorrect

Here's an updated picture of the Titans interior

Yeah nah. There's coral in that pic.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

:downs:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

:lol: at people posting that haven't read every post in this thread.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

For every 10 meters of saltwater depth, multiple sites say that pressure increases linearly by another atmosphere. So if the ill-fated explorers were still descending at a depth of about half a kilometer, then the pressure surrounding them would've been 50 atmospheres (Titanic settled at the edge of the Abyssal zone at 400 atmos) when something in Titan's hull began to fail. The following catastrophic pressure equalization took the craft's internal sea-level atmo to the outdoor 50 in a near instant, which is a hell of a lot of force to exert on the human body. Even a much smaller 9 atmo change, referring to this oil rig decompression article,

has all the force to cube a guy through a half a meter compartment hole in a flash.

Here you go buddy.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I'm also reminded of the time when I was a kid and made an A-frame "shelter" out of some lovely logs and sticks. I was laying in it, just chilling out reading a book and heard a creaking noise. I was like "Hmmm. That's interesting."

Then the structure I had built with my own hands had a catastrophic failure and collapsed.

I suppose I'm wondering if there was a bit of a creaking sound that was audible just before they ignited (diesel power) and were then crushed/extinguished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

guess you're all lubed up and ready to go but until this one detail is ironed out you can't start really going to town

gently caress off mate.

I'm all about the science my dear goon.

E: I suppose most things when you increase the pressure make sounds. So maybe the thing was popping and creaking all the way down?

Blow fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 23, 2023