Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

i must compose posted:

Motion controls

A Wiimote control scheme sounds extremely ill-considered for controlling the orientation of your immediate environment since just small initial tilt can send the tincan reeling magnifying the runaway effect quickly turning the submersible into unstoppable Mr. Bones' wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

well you shoulda seen the beta controller:

I heard the enterpreneurs had upgraded to this last minute as the final control scheme for their welded tubmarine. The only caveat remaining is keeping a real regular beat the entire time descending.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

They look so cute when they're eating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufI0PTckUx8

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

holefoods posted:

even if it did work, how much advance warning could it feasibly give?

Aren't these alarms just meant to give enough of a warning in larger vessels for one last desperate scramble to try and seal off the ruptured compartments with bulkhead hatches, so that there's enough unflooded breathing space while you wait for the rescue? What good are they when you're occupying the only space between two welded bathtubs with no way to escape?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Everett False posted:

I've been saying the same thing!! Everyone keeps being all, "guys the controller isn't the issue, lots of things use controllers" but my problem is with that specific controller, which sucked so bad for playing video games that I bought a new one within months. Maybe I'm missing something and they're using a bluetooth version that sucks less, but mine used a USB dongle and lost connection every time I accidentally sat in a way that put my leg between the controller and the computer.

So what you're saying is that Madcatz sabotaged the tubmersible to win back market shares from Logitech?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Issuing a correction to my last post you do not in fact have to hand it to Logitech

My wireless mouse from Logitech has irreversibly stopped working after they made me update the dongle, so they sure know their peripherals. Speaking of which when that main inventor at Oceanghast was showing off the interior of his doomed diving bell in the video, the only thruster control interface I could see were the two tablets on swivels, which I assume were running some sort of generic-brand android and a homebrew app for piloting the thing with a BT 3.0 paired gaming joystick. And just the thought of this would make me sprint away from their underwater iron maiden as fast as possible.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

he actually bought into his own grift lmao

That's like breaking rule number 1 of grifting.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Man Amazon used to sell these blue sturdy-looking 55 gallon drums of lube which would have been perfect for my startup deep lake touring agency.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Sometimes you have crab on the menu, other times the crab gets to have you on his. It's a circle of life where everything's connected, Simba.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Lots of good thread titles last page, a veritable sea buffet.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

ethanol posted:

I agree for the most part but I think just in my gut I would suggest a sea going vessel waterproof its controls

I wonder if they used marine batteries or went with hooking up conventional car batteries in an array on which to sit on to power the craft's props, as nobody seems to classify this homemade diving apparatus as anything which falls under most of sea vehicle regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

For every 10 meters of saltwater depth, multiple sites say that pressure increases linearly by another atmosphere. So if the ill-fated explorers were still descending at a depth of about half a kilometer, then the pressure surrounding them would've been 50 atmospheres (Titanic settled at the edge of the Abyssal zone at 400 atmos) when something in Titan's hull began to fail. The following catastrophic pressure equalization took the craft's internal sea-level atmo to the outdoor 50 in a near instant, which is a hell of a lot of force to exert on the human body. Even a much smaller 9 atmo change, referring to this oil rig decompression article,
has all the force to cube a guy through a half a meter compartment hole in a flash.