Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Just to avoid donating a few dollars to ALS research.

What other forgotten internet things randomly enter your mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Harlem shake.

Lots of them were fun, but man did that come and go in the middle of the night, never to return.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Cinnamon challenge
Climbing stacked milk crates
That lady that filmed herself having a car accident that killed her sister
That lady that filmed herself shooting her boyfriend through a book

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Remember when everybody was posting unboxing videos where they put on big ol spectacles and declared "it's tape"

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
planking

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

For a few weeks in 2020 or 2021 you had people singing their orders to fast food or Starbucks workers, then being like "that's for you, we love our essential workers". It was the cringiest poo poo imaginable.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

For a few weeks in 2020 or 2021 you had people singing their orders to fast food or Starbucks workers, then being like "that's for you, we love our essential workers". It was the cringiest poo poo imaginable.

lol yep there was lots of cringe during covid lockdowns

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

flashmobs were clearly some kind of satanic ritual and they can be blamed for all the bad things that have happened since

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
On Battlenet for Diablo 1 in like 1997, one day I logged in and every second person had penguin in their character name and I still don't know why. Did I witness the birth of lolrandom that day?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

When an aqua teen hunger force ad was mistaken for a bomb threat

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When someone used an xbox to stop a bullet

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

When that dinosaur said "yee"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
loving Harambe

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Peggy Edson posted:

lol yep there was lots of cringe during covid lockdowns

Gal Gadot getting all those celebrities to sing “Imagine” on TikTok or whatever. Maximum cringe.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
50 cent deftly avoided the ice bucket challenge while simultaneously continuing to humiliate his rival, floyd mayweather

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

On Battlenet for Diablo 1 in like 1997, one day I logged in and every second person had penguin in their character name and I still don't know why. Did I witness the birth of lolrandom that day?

That was the penguin clan

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I moved on after my Barber's dad died of it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I think he was just shot?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Believe what you want.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
wait i can stop dumping buckets of ice water on myself now? oh thank god

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
My guess is either maddox or PETA

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Surely all the Kony 2012 Facebook posts led to him being brought to justice!

(it did not)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

at work some of the older fellas would do this thing where they grunted really loud while taking a poo poo

don't know if they still do it, i work from home now. i assume it was some kind of internet meme for facebook.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

50 cent deftly avoided the ice bucket challenge while simultaneously continuing to humiliate his rival, floyd mayweather

like how hard would it have been to just memorize a page from harry potter and pretend you're actually reading it, and take 10 people off the street for free, what a piece of poo poo

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we had to watch Becket (1964) in high school for some reason, and the only thing i remember from it now is that one of the characters, probably the titular Becket, advised that every morning one should strip naked and dump cold water on themselves, to avoid the chilblains or something like that

seems like the ice bucket challenge was nothing new, the ALS community stole it from the 1964 film Becket, is what i'm saying

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

at work some of the older fellas would do this thing where they grunted really loud while taking a poo poo

don't know if they still do it, i work from home now. i assume it was some kind of internet meme for facebook.

they were setting off the lunk alarm

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Another one that gets me every once in a while is when the internet banded together against Cat Bin Lady. I still think about that story and how ridiculous the whole thing was.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Just to tamp down the cynicism a tad: The ice bucket challenge raised something like $115 million, and the research it funded discovered two new, apparently interesting, risk genes.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Computer viking posted:

Just to tamp down the cynicism a tad: The ice bucket challenge raised something like $115 million, and the research it funded discovered two new, apparently interesting, risk genes.

Word

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Everyone used to ironically grow a big lovely mustache or beard, but now everyone is doing it earnestly.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

every november a bunch of people collectively resolve not to cum

why would anyone not want to cum, is my question

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Shampoo is a scam" and "You don't need to wear shoes" were both really good internet lies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nutted so much I burned out the nut factory and need to take a month off to rebuild.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bad Purchase posted:

every november a bunch of people collectively resolve not to cum

why would anyone not want to cum, is my question

It’s the same month that a bunch of amateur writers write novels so maybe they are harnessing their creative essence?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I am working outside today and its loving hot so dumping ice water on myself sounds amazimg

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Ah that's cool I did not know that. Dumping ice water on yourself to raise awareness was still silly.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
People licking ice cream at the grocery store and then putting it back

The creepy clown sighting era

zone
Dec 6, 2016
There was a short lived trend on Indian tiktok about Joker impersonators after the film came out. It's something that you had to see to believe for how cringe it was.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

That ape was alright. That ape did no wrong.

It was a shame that the alt right coopted "Dicks out for Harambe" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BigBadSteve posted:

That ape was alright. That ape did no wrong.

It was a shame that the alt right coopted "Dicks out for Harambe" though.

you mean golfers?