Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Koos Group posted:

I believe so, yes. All of the rules are there to improve the quality of discussion and debate, so if they're enforced more often or more consistently that would improve the quality of the forum as a whole.

I realize this is a question of taste more than objective content, but Dungeons and Debates could maybe be a little more laid back in some ways. And I don't mean my own posting rampage, for which I was rightly put in kitty jail, but somewhat loosening the idea that Dungeons and Debates should be the Platonic ideal of a United States college debate club. Most of the regular posters "know" each other and their viewpoints, and of course no one should insult anyone's person, but it also seems a disservice that grievances of long past which colour people's posting are immediately actionable, and everyone should basically just be "BEEP BOOP I AM DEBATE ROBOT" because people don't really operate that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Koos Group posted:

If it's coupled with hostility and insults, then it's not merely uninteresting material, but actively makes productive debate more difficult. It becomes not only the matter of some issue, which is probably important enough on its own, but a matter of posting honor. So the attacked posters become less willing to concede their points, more willing to use bad arguments to support what they're saying, and more likely to throw personal attacks back and spiral downward.

I agree that slap-fights are uninteresting, and I prefaced my post by saying that insults are bad and awful.

However, you reference a spiral downwards, and it occurs to mind that gamefying the rule system could also result in a stifling of genuine discussion and attempting to own foe poster JoebidenStomper87, or what have you, by reports.

But, again, this is to me more a question of taste than actual moderating policy ideas, since moderating Dungeons and Debates is always contested and, well, debated since this is what the forum does.