Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bigotry change good, that was always bullshit.
I think "Posting about posters" needs a look at because it's applied very arbitrarily and more often seems like a "this poster disagreed with the wrong person" probe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I can’t think of a take worse for fostering real, substantive debate than “what we need are more rules-lawyering report narcs”.

I see we’re also in an alternate reality where D&D regulars are punished for over-reporting. Okay.

Are there regulars that overreport or is that one of the various myths made up around here.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

I think that there's a big overarching problem with the culture of D&D, in that one camp of posters seems to assume that any posts made by another camp of posters is always trolling, or some kind of "invasion" from CSPAM (despite both camps being D&D regulars). I've seen so many conversations that started with what I thought were fairly innocuous opinions spiral out of control because one side just constantly assumes malice of the other. I'm not sure how you would go about fixing that though so I don't think I can provide any useful feedback right now.

The problem here is one group openly posts about how much they hate D&D in Cspam, comes in to rile people up and post their quotes in their thread dedicated to making fun of D&D/"the libs", the other group is just supposed to ignore this is happening and pretend the person isn't being malicious even though it's very easy to click their post history and see exactly what bullshit they are trying to pull. Like they aren't coming here to debate or discuss anything the obvious open intention is to "own the libs" then chuckle about it in their little clubhouse.

This has been going on for so many years the only way to fix it is to get all new posters in here (no way SA gets that much fresh blood) or just stop having usernames I guess?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I think that's a rather outmoded concept of us vs. them; that may have been true several years ago but cspam mods have successfully encouraged most of its users to contribute meaningfully there, which is evidenced by the high activity in cspam & the quality of most of its discussions.

Cspam rules prevent the sort of point-n-laff stuff that maybe was prevalent back when D&D regulars were gathering in off-site groups to choose targets for mass reporting, as well as for doing their own pointing & laughing, but that was years ago (except maybe for that mod discord that leaked recently).

Those of us who do post in both places have contributed meaningfully to D&D, in good faith, and many of us have been posting here longer than those who've complained about invasions of their sacred space in the past.

As has been pointed out to you over the years that you've claimed this in QCS/SAD, seeing forum participants as your enemies out to undermine you is both unhealthy and incredibly toxic to the forums at large. Maybe reconsider your thinking by spending time participating in cspam & contributing to the discussions there rather than clinging to what you hate-read several years ago.

eta: I suggested that you participate in cspam bc I know that's how a lot of people have changed their minds about this forums-enemies stuff that undermines the forums at large. And there are so many active threads there I'm sure you could find some in which you'd be welcome.

Willa Rogers posted:

weird how dnd guys always describe my posts with over-emotionalism and use adjectives like "raging" or "angry" or "furious," huh?

I didn't even report that one, bc the last time I did that they made the guy a mod.

This is you quoting someone doing syq poo poo just a few days ago. So why should I take you at any sort of good faith when you are just straight up obviously lying? Also that mass reporting poo poo is a dumb myth I've never seen a lock of evidence for, like more notice if reports are spammed and I'm pretty sure multiple people can't even report the same message.

As for posting on CSpamI have no interest in being chain probed.