Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I was fairly optimistic when the rules changed. “We don’t moderate positions” addresses the core D&D problem, self-selection. Historically, liberals and leftists aligned to moderate conservatives and libertarians out of existence here, and that created a specific class of poster who absolutely cannot accept a dissenting opinion, and relies on moderation to win arguments. The result is a race to the bottom - it became liberals turning on leftists, and acceptable viewpoints get winnowed down until the forum becomes a milquetoast and incredibly dull pissing match over which shade of political beige is best.

Unfortunately, I’ve found that in reality the rules are enforced just as capriciously as before, and positions are effectively moderated. Some mods have ideological axes to grind, some are just too weak and bow to public pressure. As noted earlier, “posts about posters” aren’t uniformly punished, and are sometimes rewarded. Unpopular posts are put under a magnifying glass to tease out other infractions. The one historical D&D lesson I’d encourage the mods to consider - encouraging the howler monkeys is just going get more poop thrown your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I can’t think of a take worse for fostering real, substantive debate than “what we need are more rules-lawyering report narcs”.

I see we’re also in an alternate reality where D&D regulars are punished for over-reporting. Okay.