Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lpzie posted:

須藤 竜也 vs 周防 達哉

be gone lil' troll...

Wait they had Tatsuya written with different kanjis?

Still the ritual of kotodama is key to the plot so they had to sound similar on purpose…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait they had Tatsuya written with different kanjis?

thats so loving cool, logographic alphibets ftw

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this is what i would see if i ever turned off my monitor, which i do not

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Al! posted:

thats so loving cool, logographic alphibets ftw

Yeah, Japanese name readings are fun (if you aren't handed a list of names and asked to pronounce them)--there's a vocab of "normal" names for pronunciation purposes PLUS a whole big pile of alternate readings to construct the dithematic meaning you want.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Next fallout should be in chicago, very cool setting with lots of history and Eternal King Pritzker would dwarf anybody from NV in majesty

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

fallout staten island

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Epic High Five posted:

Next fallout should be in chicago, very cool setting with lots of history and Eternal King Pritzker would dwarf anybody from NV in majesty

Chicago is generally portayed as a very cursed location in a lot of sci fi fiction. I've never really understood why beyond possibly coastal contempt

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

For Fallout originally it was that no one really wanted to deal with the midwest because of Tactics but Bethesda just straight up said it wasn't canon so they can do a chicago fallout if they want. Unfortunately it's going to be the exact same as fallout 4 where you have to find your son in the wasteland or whatever and the east coast brotherhood is there to save the day because they're epic

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i went to chicago once, stupid place, nice buildings

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

BONGHITZ posted:

yep

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

let me blast around the chain o' lakes on a gunboat machine gunning mutant trout people

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

someone made a very impressive fallout portland mod for new vegas but unfortunately they kind of tried to turn it into call of duty instead of letting you roam around

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

lol you just went to the loop

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Al! posted:

fallout staten island

how would you be able to tell

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ive been "in" chicago a significant amount of time if i think about it (ohare + trains) but i dont think ive ever really been "to" chicago

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Epic High Five posted:

he's plotted against by Ghoul Blago

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

speaming of airports..... this is one of the all time great classic tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf5-YwRHDVs

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

After taking an hour to set up Viva New Vegas, I have started my first playthrough of FONV :toot:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Fallout Chicago with superghoul H H Holmes having transformed the entire city into a murder castle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

After taking an hour to set up Viva New Vegas, I have started my first playthrough of FONV :toot:

You're in for a real treat

Semper games

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I was happy to learn that an indie dev has been working on an Arx Fatalis/Ultima Underworld/King's Field inspired game for awhile. Gotta try the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6xSKPapfgc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Popy posted:

as a New Mexican a fallout: new mexico would be sick successor Caesar Legion groups fighting for supremacy up north near taos, plenty of military bases for enclave/BoS goodness or something new?!, maybe a post-apoc mexican civ moving north by settling near the rio grande around where Hatch would be.

i want it to happen now

Also Roswell and the Isotopes

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

Chicago is generally portayed as a very cursed location in a lot of sci fi fiction. I've never really understood why beyond possibly coastal contempt

Got any examples?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Grapplejack posted:

For Fallout originally it was that no one really wanted to deal with the midwest because of Tactics but Bethesda just straight up said it wasn't canon so they can do a chicago fallout if they want. Unfortunately it's going to be the exact same as fallout 4 where you have to find your son in the wasteland or whatever and the east coast brotherhood is there to save the day because they're epic

they could do fallout: the netherlands and it would still somehow be radscorpions, deathclaws, supermutants, and the brotherhood

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

sullat posted:

Got any examples?

cyberpunk, shadowrun, even in deus ex it exists solely to get wiped out by a bioweapon

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

cyberpunk, shadowrun, even in deus ex it exists solely to get wiped out by a bioweapon

Ah, I was thinking of books. Was looking for something to read.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

sullat posted:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/deus-ex-1-alex-irvine/1123469231?ean=9781785853715

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

sullat posted:

ah sorry, I know less about that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fallout New York and you get to explore Vault 911

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok, thanks to someone itt telling me to install the PLANCK mod i finally have cracked skyrim vr, grabbed a bandit by his head and shoved a sword through his face. fought and slayed a dragon then raised his loving skull over my head. skyrim is fun again

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

What about setting it in Arizona, where you're playing not one but a party of four to seven Desert Rangers ?

Coincidentally, I've played a bit more Wasteland. We're soon off to investigate Darwin Station, one of three older research facilities.

Only, before we go, it's time for some personnel changes. I made an offhand mention of cloning facilities earlier, well, those aren't just for show. It takes some fiddling around with the Clone Tech skill but we can actually clone our player characters and go beyond the standard limit of four. We need to dismiss some (or all, in this case) of our NPC recruits to do that, which is fine, because, unlike NPCs, clones won't waste an entire ammo clip on a slightly-larger-than-usual rat just because the AI felt like it.

So after bidding Ace, Christina, and Covenant a fond farewell and implied permission to carry out all the assault rifles they can eat, we add two clones, who I've named Timmy and Chrissy, in keeping (sort of) with the Expanse naming scheme of my party. I've left one party slot free because, well, that's a special surprise for later.

In the meantime, we head on down to Darwin Village, and into the station itself. One of our security cards lets us in, and we find a completely pristine, well-maintained, and empty base. Like, not 'no one's been here aside from some wolves' empty the way the Sleeper Base was, but 'untouched by human hands' empty. There's also a rather unusual landscape under a dome outside, and when we head upstairs, the head of Project Darwin, one Irwin John Finster, who's looking mighty spry for being at least a hundred years old.

This is because he's a robot.

He goes on about how he's going to save the world, specifically that he's going to save it from humanity and repopulate it with genetically engineered critters. He then tells us we should leave, and we decline to do so. There's a lower level we can't get to (well, we could, because the password was on some graffiti we ran into earlier, but this way's much more, uh, fun) but we can get into the biodome.

We cannot, however, get back OUT of the biodome.

Oh, and there's mutant monsters in here, and they pack a wallop. There was one point where I was alternating between fighting a round against a single Humongous Coyote, rescuing one or more party members from being Mostly Dead with whoever woke up, and rinsing and repeating for a while. It turned out to be worth it though because one of those encounters netted us some more laser weapons and a set of pseudo-chitin armor, the second best armor in the game.

We finally found a way back into the base which required some Climb checks, and rescued some of the base staff who Finster had been holding prisoner, presumably for a while. They filled us in on Finster being a 'heartless android' and we went up to confront him, with predictable results.

Then we plugged his head into a cyberhelmet, and that's when things got weird.

Only one Ranger got to go on this trip down Cybermemory Lane, and I chose Amos to do the honors, because (a) he had the skill points to buy Cyborg Tech and (b) it tickled the hell out of me.

This section involved navigating various puzzles, riddles, and a completely unnecessary fight against a Night Terror, a thing that had potentially 40,000 hp (where I could maybe do 200 or so damage a round if all three Proton Ax hits connected). This, uh, took a while, but I had Amos all done up in fancy new armor so the thing couldn't actually hurt him.

A few more bullshit puzzles and fights with various incarnations of Finster's Brain later, and Amos got the grand prize, SECPASS B, which gets us into the awesome vault at the Sleeper Base.

There are only a couple more areas of the game left to go. I could technically go to the last area right now, but no way in hell am I skipping The Citadel.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fallout: Shanghai and it's just modern Shanghai, all perfectly cromulent, hi-tech, and functional

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Fallout: Shanghai and it's just modern Shanghai, all perfectly cromulent, hi-tech, and functional

:xickos:

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good

Al! posted:

someone made a very impressive fallout portland mod for new vegas but unfortunately they kind of tried to turn it into call of duty instead of letting you roam around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXmkx4Vsn0

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

fallout ... turn it into call of duty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrP7rqWpT_4

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

I can't play the first tomb raider remake game without wanting to vomit within minutes. I'm not really sure how games don't just have options to turn poo poo like that off.

man i thought i was the only one. the camera sway was just too much

thankfully i just had my stomach removed since it was getting in the way of my gaming

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1785069775087186139

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

gradenko_2000 posted:

"The New Order: Last Days of Europe" is a mod for HOI 4
What sucks is that it's not (or it wasn't) the Nazi fanwank it appears to be: At some point the timeline diverges from our own (FDR only has two terms, Mao dies, Bukharin becomes leader of the USSR instead of Stalin, etc.) which results in the present situation -- you can argue it's still unrealistic, but at least it's not "Germany won due to its superior Aryan intellect and strength, HOORAY". Plus, the overall narrative attempts to be somewhat realistic: Germany is secretly headed for a collapse due to stagnation from lack of conquest, an overreliance on slave labor, and the state being run by bickering factions held in check by an increasingly senile Hitler -- in fact, it erupts into civil war shortly after he kicks the bucket. Japan is a house of cards because its government is almost totally dysfunctional (the ruling political party is plagued with infighting and corruption scandals) and its economic reliance on stripping its colonies of raw materials and crushing any attempts to form an independent industry has created much discontent, not to mention the fact any disruption in the supply chain means disaster (which is what happens). The USA has a ton of mechanics and variables that can send it down many different paths, from fascism to communism and everything inbetween.

It seemed like there was actual thought behind it, but then the lead devs left or got doxxed and now it's a dumpster fire.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Is laslow still a thing in GTA.

He ostensibly left the series after 5, in 2020, along with Dan Houser. He was cited as doing it for personal reasons.

evilmiera has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hell yes.

Fallout resurgence, and then Starfield DLC

2024 is the year of Bethesda. Book it.