Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I bought Trepang2, i hope it doesn't suck.

i really gotta finish system shock 1 though, drat this game is so freakin' long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

excellent. I haven't heard anyone really talking about it yet so i was worried. did you finish it?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zokari posted:

what did you idiots do while i was at work
i was working, had to pickup boba on the way home for the partnet, walk our dog, and clean out the spice cabinent. but that's all done now i'm home now and it's friday night bitches. time for drugs, games, movies, and junk food

max relax

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Filthy Hans posted:

how does System Shock 1 compare to the sequel

it's really good. If you liked SS2/Prey, you'll like SS1 remake. it plays a lot like SS2 in general but with less resource scarcity, more puzzles, and it looks better.

e: conversely the opposite is true, if you didn't like SS2/Prey, you won't like SS1make

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Jun 24, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

alarumklok posted:

playing timberborn. you play as beavers and you make buildings and gunk up rivers with your stiff wood. it's pretty cool

Timberborn kicks rear end but it's still early access so I've shelved it. It's just way too easy to burn out during EA and then never play it again. i'll definitely be excited to dredge it out of the basement once it actually hits 1.0

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

my bony fealty posted:

Far Cry 1 was wild, Doom 3 and HL2 had been dominating PC gaming talk for years and then boom this no-name German studio comes out with an FPS game and engine more impressive than both, months before either was released. And it was released as a big chunky set of 5 CDs, real heft to that jewelcase.

it was definitely an ambitious and quite novel game at the time. I think even the best looking for a year or so. but the gameplay wasn’t fully there and poo poo the bed by the time you get those rocket triguns aimbotting right onto you through 5 miles of dense foliage that you can’t even see

it’s kinda sad the direction FC games went to afterwards.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Antonymous posted:

I don't like its emulation as a service thing. But otherwise it's good. tbh gaming doesn't need good graphics except death stranding 2

yup. mario odyssey/botw is perfectly good graphics. most of my game time these days is with like indie games that are varying levels of SNES pixel graphics to macromedia-flash graphics to WC3-level graphics

however, much like a very rich cheesecake, it can be fun to play a real visual treat like Death Stranding once every year or 2. but most western AAA games are dogshit trash

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Steam Deck is cool but yeah it's battery life is not great in general, though does depend on the game. if you fly international, try to get a plane that has working power outlets (lollllll lmao) or else it's only gunna get you a fraction there.

i also find it a bit uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time though so maybe tis for th e best

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Cool Spot genesis was much better than Cool Spot snes.

checkmate snesailures

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
though for real most genesis games were not great compared to Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Soul Blazer, Illusions of Gaia, Starfox, Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Terrangima, Earthbound, Donkey Kong 1-3, Star Wars SNES, LTTP, Secret of Mana, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Super Metroid, FF3, etc. snes has some of the best games that still stand the test of time: far more than n64/psx/ps2/ps3 etc has

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Schmoe Cwead posted:

i had sonic 2, a taz mania game, a garfield game and a baseball game and the baseball one was the only one that didnt feel like torture to play and i didnt even like baseball

lol i could never beat that stupid mine cart level in taz mania, loving bullshit rear end game.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Psycho Society posted:

subnautica's on sale for switch, worth getting?

sub auto a kicks aaa but I wouldn’t play it on the switch. it’s buggy and performance starved enough on the PC. plus with base building you really want a mouse and KB

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Homeless Friend posted:

steam sale is the 29th... mf's better have fromsoft games on sale

oh drat I was hoping it was Monday.

anyways they definitely will. Elden Ring was even on a weak sale during Winter iirc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I actually haven't really bought anything from a major Steam Summer/Winter sale in a few years. they've been kinda weak compared to the glory days of Steam coal circa 2011

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

snoremac posted:

Don't know if it's my age or the diminishing quality of major titles but I rarely get the urge to buy anything day one anymore, From excepted. I'm surprised I still haven't got God of War Raganrok or RE4 remake, two games I definitely want to play but not so eagerly I can't wait until they're a nice bargain.

I find buying a day 1 game is the best way to actually make sure you play the fuckin game instead of sitting in a library untouched for 5 years. it is also a lot of fun to strike the iron while the zeitgeist is hot. I don’t do it often but there’s usually a good lookin indie-mid level game or Japanese game every other month.

however I do have limitations: I don’t buy western AAA games because they suck; either game pass for free* or piracy for free. I also generally check out and make sure it ticks the boxes I like in a game and I know what genres I like

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Epic High Five posted:

Starfield is going to make a gorillion dollars even if it doesnt work and 90% of the people here hating on it will be pre-ordering the deluxe edition after a few more trailers

correct. every goon is gunna buy it regardless if it’s good or even works at all or not

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i need to play wasteland 3 again

got 1 shotted too many times by the combat system in my last playthrough

sounds like someone simply needs to git gud at game :troll:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
actually does anyone still use git gud anymore or did it die in the early 2010s

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

PostNouveau posted:

You're basically a space trucker in Rebel Galaxy (complete with country soundtrack) but it's for some reason locked 2D space combat, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, and they made a sequel Rebel Galaxy Outlaw that had full-on 3D space combat but then that got pretty meh reviews.

The sequel leans so much into the space country motif that all the stations are named after towns in Texas

oh yeah I wanted to play the sequel but just never got around to it (plus epic exclusivity killed my initial interest then I forgot about it)

what was wrong with it

also has anyone played Everspace 2? it’s supposed to be more freelancer game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

euphronius posted:

can you imagine if starfield had Elite Dangerous docking

it will and it does because it’ll be the best game ever. mad?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

euphronius posted:

my 8 yo kid wants to play Fortnite so bad. it’s enormous

let them fort nite. but take away the game if their KDR falls below 2:1until they git gud. also teach them to exclusively travel by strafe gliding and bunnyhopping, if they cannot then take away game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Buddykins posted:

just chiming in to say that Slay The Spire is one of the most addicting loving games ive ever played in my life. I have already done a gently caress load of runs and its not stale whatsoever

i could never get into StS. it's too well-balanced if that makes sense. it makes me have to git gud instead of generating into a lucky hilariously OP synergistic build.

i enjoyed the unbalanced chaos of Monster Train more

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Grapplejack posted:

I love that all the diablo posts in the thread are like "this thing is dogshit. It sucks and I have to grind for 100 hours and it will bug out and make me lose all progress. I will keep playing this its soooo fun"

lol I’m glad I didn’t pay $90 for the garbage but every other goon did

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

euphronius posted:

grinding is fun for a lot of people :shrug:
grinding is for NEETs to make up their lack of progress in real life. and very easily exploited because it’s easy to turn gamers into paypig whales because of jt

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CaptainBeefart posted:

Check out Brotato next if you haven't. The mobile version is really fun but I suck at it.

I've Difficulty 5'd pretty much every Brotato guy except Pacific, Widling, and Arms Dealer. it's actually a pretty easy game. you can win with most bros by either building an dominion income engine build early on and then spiralling out of control with upgrades, or playing into the strengths and getting at least 25+ speed, range, dodge, and HP.

but yeah its a solid twin-stick non-roguelite shoot-em-up action game. good for podcasting

definitely not a mus thave or anything, it's just another game in the vein of Vampire Survivors but with more twin-stick action.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

RandolphCarter posted:

I haven’t won a single run of Brotato since 1.0

they made the bullet hell enemy way more annoying by just making GBS threads out projectiles, and added a new much worse run-ending wave ~13-15 boss with these bullet rings that follow you while charging at you. but i've won about 10 difficulty 5 runs so far with 1.0 and probably only whiffed 10, so 50% win rate

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

RandolphCarter posted:

yeah that’s pretty much what’s killing all my runs.
you mostly want to get close to 20% speed by wave 15 so when you get to the boss you can outrun those stupid ring bullets with impunity and not worry about them. the most important thing is just to not die to the boss even if you can't kill it. sometimes i'll just say gently caress it i ain't killing it with my build yet and run around benny-hill style

if you have enough mob CC, which is easy to do, then staying alive isn't hard in the game with enough Speed

i prioritize harvest or luck early plus +ranged damage, and going in with close to 60 hp, and then try to build up as much speed as reasonable by wave 12. I put very low priority on HP Regen or Lifesteal or Damage %

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Jun 28, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

PostNouveau posted:

One day, I believe someone will figure out how to make video game hair that doesn't look like total poo poo

realistic pubic hair when

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mr Interweb posted:

quick question: are we allowed to talk about vidya games from the early 90s in here? :ohdear:
of course. Shivers is the best game of all time

Sierra Entertainment ftw

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

putt putt saves the zoo has a deeper more meaningful story than every western AAA game in the past 5 years put together.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
eh, none of my wishlist games are really on sale besides Pizza Tower which i'll get. i was hoping for a Last Epoch sale or My Summer Car or something. terra nil is too expensive still for what it is. guess im ight pickup either Potionomics or Potion permits since it looks fun

Anyone played Raft or Alwa's Legacy?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Buck Wildman posted:

a lot of my wishtlist stuff is new/high profile stuff unlikely to get a serious discount or is some indy thing so cheap they probably can't afford to lower it more than it already is
yeah same. I usually prune out anything older than 3 years because if I haven't been interested enough to buy it by now, a big sale isn't gunna convince me to play it. in my experience, there's absolutely no point in buying games just because they're on a big sale if it's not interesting enough to play. games are in mega abundance these days and i don't play them that often these days to ever make a dent in it.

i also sometimes pickup newer games on-sale during EA/1.0 discount window that really excite me because its fun to strike the iron while the zeitgeist is hot, so i don't build up a big wishlisted log too much.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Buck Wildman posted:

I just wishlist things as a means of keeping an eye on stuff rather than necessarily wanting it, because following games leads to a lot of algorithm/alert nonsense I couldn't be less interested in dealing with
yea same. half of my wishlist is "coming soon" type things or "oh that looks fun, ill put it on here to remind me to look into it again when i'm not at work / i want to see it again when it leaves 1.0 in case it becomes good"\

lol i still have In Valley of The Gods on there. lmao that one is never coming out.... but....,

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

loquacius posted:

I ended up getting Chained Echoes AND FFIX btw, that's what sales are for

Also someone recced Yooka Laylee to me for my Banjo-Kazooie-loving daughter and it's 90% off for $4 rn so I snagged that too

if you liked Banjo-Kazooie, check out A Hat in Time https://store.steampowered.com/app/253230/A_Hat_in_Time/. it's very cute and kid-friendly. it's the most Banjo game since banjo

Yooka Laylee kinda sucked rear end, which i could go into more detail if you want, but Yooka Laylee 2 is the best DKC2-like game. iirc they're both on Game Pass?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yooka Laylee ehhhh....

Have a look at Tinykin, if you haven't already. It's kind of a Pikmin/Banjo-Kazooie hybrid

omg I forgot about Tinykin, yeah get that 100%. tinykin rules

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
first they came for my skullgirls 15 yo nazi panties and i did not speak out
then they came for my CSGO rare skins money laundering and there was no one left to speak out

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
wokeness is destroying video games

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

croup coughfield posted:

brother you should never, ever feel badly about not producing profits for the shareholders

what if your job is working for the people as a civil servant

should I feel bad about slacking off if there’s no shareholders? moral quandary imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i picked up DAVE THE DIVER and its a lot of fun so far. nice combination of Cook, Serve, Delicious and Subnautica and other fishing games