Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Al! posted:

alex kidd is a libertarian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHvRaOO8P4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I'm playing award-winning online videogame Finally Fantasy Fourteen

beat p10s a couple nights ago and still feelin good about it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

punished milkman posted:

a lot of them are boring but they did call one “caulk & bawl”

this is the magic of michael-christopher koji fox

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

PantsandCola posted:

I like Sifu.

it's a good game op

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm bad at it

in addition to hitting l1 don't forget to hit l1 and down on the stick, that dodges everything that hits above the knee and avoids structure damage. well you probably already know that, but whatever

enemies only have so many attacks so eventually you'll learn them, just keep at it. the practice option at the dojo can help too. game's extremely fuckin good

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Xaris posted:

putt putt saves the zoo has a deeper more meaningful story than every western AAA game in the past 5 years put together.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

loquacius posted:

Yeah like I'm sure A Hat In Time is good and everything and it's 50% off which is great but I just spent $30 on games for myself and $4 on a game for my daughter and I dunno if I can justify another $15 on top of that when I could just show her Mario Odyssey

Or Banjo-Tooie tbh, I've been avoiding it because it killed off Bottles and he was her favorite character but maybe it'd be ok? He's a cartoon ghost right

yes he's a cartoon ghost for most of the game and he gets resurrected in the ending

what better way to introduce your child to the icy hand of inevitable death than a cartoon mole's ghost rising out of his charred corpse?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

friend wants a novel multiplayer game and has suggested hunt: showdown. $16 on steam during the summer sale. looks kind of interesting from reading the wikipedia article, guess it’s an early version of this “extraction shooter” genre that I’ve never played. opinions?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Bah. On the superior PC platform, we can go into the config files and really tune things to how we want. I assume they'll have the Gamer-Words dictionary in a plain-text XML file so we can really curate, and add to, what verbiage is included.

using the naughty language filter from dark souls 2

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ya, looks like i got the most basic-bitch one. i should have died so that it could upgrade and go to someone else

to be a huge pedantic dark souls nerd those have nothing to do with gravelords. but yeah that poo poo's pretty cool and it's not a guaranteed spawn

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

He's not a bear he's a 1000 years old druid in the body of a bear.

bestiality is bad because animals that are not sentient cannot consent. a druid in the form of a bear is sentient and can consent. problem solved gg nextmap

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

no. Todd’s on first.

mods ban this filth

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if you want to learn to parry you should play fromsoft's best game, sekiro

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

FFX voice acting was always very good, especially for the time when it was released.

I would unironically argue that FFX has better English voice acting than nearly any other dubbed Japanese video game I can think of except something like FF16 (where the game was literally made with the English VA in mind). There's issues with awkward pausing, but that's primarily caused by being one of the earliest heavily voice-acted games and is also present in the Japanese version, rather than being related to the actual voice-acting itself. I actually played the remaster on PC a few months ago with the Japanese dub, and was surprised at how accurate the English VAs were - some characters almost sound like the same VA speaking in both English and Japanese. Auron is probably the biggest difference among the main cast, but not in a bad way.

Also, the Tidus laughing scene is good (and is almost the exact same in Japanese). It's genuinely a great scene that communicates things about the characters much better than the writing in most other narrative-driven video games I've played. FFX in general is quite good about characterization through showing vs telling.

iirc ffx has some stupid programming thing where a given voice acted line must be the exact same duration regardless of language, leading to bits that stick out like sore thumbs like "withyunabymyside"

but yeah, I remember going HEH SO DUMB at the laughing scene with everyone else on gamefaqs when I was 11 years old and it's amazing how stupid we were

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ok fine I'll stop making fun of Fortnite. CoD absolutely still holds the title of "capitalism the game"

well, yeah, fortnite is the communist game

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

everyone who enjoys mobas has a sickness deep inside them

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

imagine four mines on the edge of -

loquacius posted:

Imagine 4 mines on the edge of a cliff

GOD drat IT

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

fellas is it gay to feel things from a video game

obviously

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the most cspam game is dwarf fortress

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

genuinely disappointed it turned from mostly incomprehensible into another optimus prime planet life energy plot. oldest plot in the book. beast wars much?

do better fortnite writers

beast wars was good when i was 7

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

I dont think San Andreas will ever be dethroned as the best GTA. 3 cities in one game and a ton of wilderness and smaller towns inbetween, the perfect map

I spent so much time going into the area 51 knockoff for an instant 5 stars and trying to stay alive as long as possible that it broke my ps2

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

im at work drawing sens fortress out by memory and lolling about being able to do this on my deathbed

loving nice

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

(or, more rarely, practically next to each other)

they learned from the best

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

lol i understand now why blighttown had been so confusing, i bypassed lower undead burg, taurus demon, sewer dragon, etc due to master key lol. finding pyro guy and immediately get +10 flame ftw

lol :milk:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

i like frozen outskirts even more

100% serious no irony here

thats right

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

drat horror queefs posted:

Huh that's an interesting point - he's basically a literal fusion of sif and artorius. He's the dog with tragically unfailing loyalty to his former master while also a knight consumed by the very evil he was trying to protect the world from.

Lol. Get some new material miyazaki!!

(Jk I love the maliketh fight)

miyazaki has made three games ever and that's why he rules

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

lol damnit, i thought that message on the floor was allusion or story poo poo...

you can parry him too and he absolutely cannot do poo poo about it, it rules

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hatebag posted:

Dark souls 2 is good, go to hell, I'll tear your rear end in a top hat out and strangle you with it you lousy son of a bitch

thats right

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

DS3 is the best dark souls but nerds have spent so long playing ds1 and 2 that they are obviously burnt out on the formula.

spicy take: if you have not played dark souls 1 2 or 3, start with 3. Play 2 if you're hungry for seconds

if you're a completionist and want to play the entire series in order, get therapy

ds1 has the distinction of having the best world design, by which I mean the extremely tight physical construction of lordran. things like firelink having an elevator up to the parish while also overlooking blighttown, the centipede demon sitting there plain as day visible from the pre-demon firesage stairs with all the capra demons if you know where to look, lost izalith’s dome on the left from the entrance to the demon ruins, the sudden realization that darkroot is the exact same location as the royal gardens in the dlc, etc. that it all fits together with extremely minimal trickery is a triumph

now, how much someone cares about that is a different question, but out of the three, ds1 obviously does it the best. only bloodborne comes close (and poo poo like the forbidden woods snake eater ladder leading to iosefka’s clinic are also extremely good)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

ds2 is the best because it has the redhead lady saying bearer of the curse

ds2 is the best because gavlan wheel, gavlan deal

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

genericnick posted:

Did the ever turn the online back on? It was down for months

yeah it's back on

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Al! posted:

does 2 or 3 have the look around you guy in it?

peter serafinowicz? 2, he's mild-mannered pate

he also coined the descriptor I use to get across the idea of dark souls to people who aren't as terminally goony as me, "zelda in hell"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Al! posted:

gently caress, the last of us did well and millennial nerds got rich during the pandemic so we're gonna get mother loving skyrim the tv show huh

amazon owns the rights to a disco elysium tv adaptation but of course any further stuff in that setting is in jeopardy due to the whole fraudster controversy and this is what radicalized me

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

i n i have wares if you have coin

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Also having really high Encyclopedia is its own reward

encyclopedia is my precious child

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

hoot shouldn't have been probed for posting fortnite news or nintendo wojaks. he should've been probed for incorrectly identifying dabbing as "dapping"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

they should do an RPG where instead of dice you use a deck of cards that you have to cycle through completely and you have to choose when to eat a natural 1 on a skill check

it's not out yet and idk much about it besides "uses cards" and "disco elysium inspired" and "you play as a minotaur" but https://store.steampowered.com/app/1674920/Sovereign_Syndicate/

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

Ive never met a good wizard

I've never met a nice wizarding man
and that's not bloody surprising, man

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories