Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Been playing Signalis, pretty great and a must-play for Resident Evil fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

snoremac posted:

Signalis has an incredible opening. What a sense of mystery and foreboding it establishes. Think I'm gonna love it.

Oh yeah, it's basically (spoilers for the theme not really story) like that the whole way through. Very inspired by Evangelion and Nier plus Robert Chambers and Cthulhu mythos. The gameplay isn't exceptional but it's an incredibly well-crafted game.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Far Cry 1 was wild, Doom 3 and HL2 had been dominating PC gaming talk for years and then boom this no-name German studio comes out with an FPS game and engine more impressive than both, months before either was released. And it was released as a big chunky set of 5 CDs, real heft to that jewelcase.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

smarxist posted:

Any decent single player survival FPS games that have come out recently?

i don't want to base build too much/at all, mostly just roam a big land, maybe scavenge a gun and craft some poo poo and just find my way or w/e

Have you played STALKER Gamma my dude

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

snoremac posted:

Spoilering this Signalis post because someone else in the thread is playing it. Late-game.

The fake credits totally tricked me and I was pretty disappointed, thinking it was time to hop online and read people's theories about the story's abstractions, also thinking the game gives you much more weaponry than you need. And then it even takes you back to the start screen and main menu before pulling you back in!

Amazing!

I've played this all drat day and night and am only stopping because I'm too sleepy but I'm excited to finish it tomorrow.

I finished it today and feel satisfied. Apparently there are multiple endings depending on your playstyle, plus a secret one you have to unlock on a second playthrough? But I feel like it put a bow on everything well enough to leave it be.

The story is supposed to be open to interpretation I reckon, there's various paths it could take between "everything is real and its a time loop and somehow the robot teleports to another planet" to "nothing is real and it was all Alina's dream." The cancer metaphor sticks out pretty hard so I gotta favor "dying dreams of irradiated psychic cancer woman" for most of what happens.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

sometimes I play on the couch just to snuggle with my puppo

sometimes I play on your couch just to snuggle with your wife

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Antonymous posted:

steam deck battery life 1.5-2 hours
Switch battery life 4.5-9 hours

that's what google said though I think for switch 4 hours is probably the max with any 3d game

edit: a youtube I found said TOTK on OLED switch lasted 6 hours

Deck battery is entirely dependent on the game, something like Death Stranding is 2 hours if you're lucky while Slay the Spire could be a solid 6.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pro move is to take a road trip and have the SO do most of the driving while you plug that Deck into a power inverter and game battery-free

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

not saying the deck's battery life is good don't get me wrong. I pack a battery pack with me when I take it on trips

Which pack? I could use a good one.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

MGS owns and I'm both sad and relieved we'll never get another one

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ill be buying Starfield day 1

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Decided to pick up Dead Cells because ITB is more of a puzzle game where I want mindless action still after Void Bastards, ate poo poo first two runs so I mixed things up by dressing up as Santa Claus then beat bosses on a bridge and a clock tower and got my rear end whooped in a fancy castle. I can't say I'm really sold on it as a game yet but as brainless shooting around using weird weapons experience it's top notch.

It's really good, probably the best of its genre other than Hades

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

American Nightmare

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Game was pretty bad, I put a few hours into it and lost interest. Just didn't do anything particularly well and the competitive balance was terrible.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

how is Blood West and is it a good Steam Deck game

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

grabbed Battlebit, haven't played a multi-player game in quite a while

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

HELL YA

got the Black Knight Greatsword for my first run in Dark Souls

was gonna keep rerolling till i got one of the black knight weapons at the start but now i dont have to worry about it. blessed run

my first playthrough I got it from the first black knight i ever killed in undead burg and used it for hours and hours until I got the black knight halbred from one in darkroot garden and used that for the rest of the game more or less

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Alright Battlebit is fun as hell to turn your brain off and throw yourself into the chaos, feels real good to get some kills and drag and revive teammates

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

That's just FFVII

wrong

its Kingdom Hearts

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dave the Diver hit 1.0 which means it's time to buy. Only 10% off right now but $18 seems very worth it from all the positive buzz I've read.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

i picked up DAVE THE DIVER and its a lot of fun so far. nice combination of Cook, Serve, Delicious and Subnautica and other fishing games

Played for a few hours today, it's really fun and excellent on the Steam Deck. Infact maybe the best suited game to the Deck I've played so far. The minigames are all super short so they don't get tedious like some games (say, Spiritfarer) and exploring underwater is well done. I very much enjoy how almost every character makes fun of poor Dave and how he's a big fat guy.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

dave the diver rules. i take it back, it's like more one of those Motherlode/Steamworld Dig loop games but Subnautica themed with some restaurant management ala Cook Serve Delicious, though not as intense

It's selling incredibly well on Steam, good for the devs. The game oozes charm and the care put into it shows. Let's get a whole Dave franchise going. Dave the Caver, Dave the Spacer, Dave the Poster.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I grabbed Fallout 4 for cheap cuz I never played it other than a few hours on PS4 once and it apparently works well on Steam Deck, but now I'm thinking I should just play New Vegas again instead.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

croup coughfield posted:

having a lot of fun with battlebit. very chaotic, lots of mayhem

yeah it's great. do goons play together?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I never finished Dying Light 1, it was cool until it turned into the world's worst FPS. second area seemed fine but I was just burned out by then.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

what about zomboid is it actually fun or is it RNG sim hell

it's fun but very slow and the controls and hit detection suck. hard to recommend it but if you like sims you can take slow and really get into it could be for you.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

play snake eater on a ps2

oh yes

MGS2 as well

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

it's really good. one of the most labor of love indie games i've played in awhile. worth every $ i've spent so far

the sushi chef animations are incredible too. usually i end up skipping repeating cutscenes after awhile but every single one brings a giant smile to my face that i rewatch them each time they come up

I only wish there were more variety to them, they're so good but watching the three enhance ones gets old pretty quick

I just got to fish farming and lol cool a whole nother new mechanic added, love it

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Red Baron posted:

I’m sold

its the most fun ive had with a game in a while, just really well done in every way.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

loquacius posted:

so, not a great Deck game at the moment either then

no it plays great great on Deck and has full support

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I run the sniper rifle in Dave the Diver because its satisfying to see big numbers when you headshot a big fish

Currently at the stealth infiltration of the Sea Blue base and lol, lmao at the animations, I think they make Dave get fatter as the game goes on.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

evilmiera posted:

I'm loving Dave but I desperately want to change the music that plays on the boat, I've heard it around a hundred times now

I haven't messed around with it too much but it seems there isn't a way to have the music player keep playing whatever you select when it's open, it stops when you close the app. Would be nice if you could change the music.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I have carved up or airlifted about 100 giant trevally and haven't gotten a single fin. Rare miss from Dave the Diver, grinding materials is never fun in games.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Battlebit shines so much when the guys youre pushing forward with come under fire and you form an impromptu squad and set up a position. some of the most multi-player fun I've had in an FPS game ever.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

bought that starship troopers fps, curious to see how it is as I’ve always wanted a solid coop bug fighting FPS and nobody has really tried before

Deep rock galactic just keeps getting better and better

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I unlocked the Marksmen rifle yesterday and can't hit poo poo with it for some reason, gonna keep that bolt action sniper

Having the most fun being a medic or RPG guy tho

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

How many Gun Shards do you need to Transmorph Pistol Parts to Rifle Tokens in Battlebit

as far as I can tell you just do poo poo and get unlocks, like a barrel attachment that lowers accuracy by 1.5% but reduces vertical sway by 3% - incredible upgrade.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

getting near the end of Dave the Diver (or so I imagine) and it yet again throws in another great mechanic with controlling Dave and the merman simultaneously. game just keeps being novel and fresh.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

you missed the point of The Boys because it's another slop franchise to make money for your betters

im not watching that garbage!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Exoprimal is $60, has a battlepass, has loot crates, and has a grind. Game is DOA

the art direction will save it