Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

what videogame has the highest fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

that amazon game that burned out cards because it had no limiter in the menu

great that is what I will play next

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

40 fps is all you need, oled is o-ver hyped

oled is really nice. i reccomend it when you need a new TV. LG makes the best ones per $ as of now. Get the C2

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

you're too late i got it for my old man for fathers day. time to see how movies look on that mf'er.

it has a mode called 'filmmaker mode' which turns off all the bullshit and warms the image up back to a natural whitepoint

it's called filmmaker mode because film makers bitched and whined and now most TVs have an option to just show the image exactly as the signal coming off the bluray/streaming service actually describes and not juicing it up

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I know a producer who just won big at Tribeca and when I was at her house to watch a preview cut I asked if I could turn all the bullshit off on her TV and she said 'why I paid for that bullshit leave the bullshit on, why would I not let the TV optimize everything' and so we watched her thing in a simulated 60fps with 8000k white point and sharpening etc

I would rather come over and they have confederate flags up

you spend thousands and thousands of dollars mastering the color on a film, the cinematographer worked hard on getting a specific look and vibe and the TV goes 'no trust me they want it at 60fps and very bright, sharp, and blue'

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the stupidest part is no one can even see 60fps

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

god I wish that were me

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

botw and totk are great games to play for like 20-30 minutes and you achieve between 1 and 3 shrines/quests/whatever and then turn it off and because there are about 10,000 things to do it is a game you can play for several years.

like a picross game where you play 1-2 levels on the subway or candy crush or whatever. it's not meant to be completed, not really

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ps5 is $400 with a controller, used even less. I can sit on my couch and use my existing TV

What is the value of a PC that can run those games

I guess if you pirate stuff you can offset costs plus there's almost every game ever made on PC

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its funny that the oled switch is 10% less $ than the ps5

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's $400 for a ps5 that doesn't have the disk tray, the 'digital edition'

granted digital games never are on sale and cannot be bought used or resold. so it's a penny wise pound foolish product

edit: I also cannot watch my precious 4k HDR blurays on my gaming console

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Jun 25, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the steamdeck doesn't have an oled screen lmao

edit: holy poo poo the thing is huge wtf

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its like when I had a gameboy and my friend had a gamegear and I felt kinda bad for 'em even though it had real sonic. Had to change the batteries every 45 minutes, back before rechargeable

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

can the steamdeck go on my TV for 4 player games

edit: can other controllers connect to it if so?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the switch has dogshit controllers and nothing uses its touchscreen for fear of not being compatible with TV play

I don't like its emulation as a service thing. But otherwise it's good. tbh gaming doesn't need good graphics except death stranding 2

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

steam deck battery life 1.5-2 hours
Switch battery life 4.5-9 hours

that's what google said though I think for switch 4 hours is probably the max with any 3d game

edit: a youtube I found said TOTK on OLED switch lasted 6 hours

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7beo-5AYyc

this video shows oled switch getting maybe 40% more runtime on the same game

edit: and spiderman killing it in 1hr22m

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

my hot take is that OLEDs are cool and all but the issue of burnin is still enough that they go bad after like 3-5 and as such they're not worth the purchase

there's a video where a guy left his oled switch on a single image for over 400 days and at that point it got kinda bad yeah

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Al! posted:

hey subnautica is in the news for some reason, we better throw up a sale

no joke the game pays royalties to the oceangate company. because they trademarked the name cyclops for subs and sent a letter to the game I guess

your subnautica purchase helped to kill those billionaires

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

like I need a reason

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

my nostalgia maxes out with ffX so that's the best one

12 was cool that it was more political I guess and the MMO style combat was fine. Ivalice is definitely the best final fantasy setting

I only ever played 7 X and 12

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

oh drat I did play 13 but that game is literally forgettable. you just hold the stick forward and press A over and over during combat and there's no interesting story at all. I formed no memories will beating it on xbox

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Al! posted:

ocelot is the protagonist of the metal gear solid series, not snake

yes, and no

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the first 6 metal gear games were pretty on track building a world and characters

metal gear
metal gear 2
metal gear solid
metal gear solid 2
metal gear solid 3
metal gear solid portable ops

and then metal gear solid 4 kinda hosed around too much with Naomi Vamp Meryl... the beauties... and especially Zero/Cypher. But the ocelot stuff was good

Peace Walker (do over of portable ops)
Rising: Reveangance
Ground Zeros

all good. and then metal gear solid V which was a real mixed bag narratively but mostly bad. except ocelot again and Kaz I guess. Liquid and psycho mantis that's ok maybe. best gameplay tho it needed more bases

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

iirc it is worse than peace walker gameplay wise but also has the recruitment mechanic, but without fulton so you have to drag people off the levels. its good to play it first since peace walker is a refinement and more zany.

Peace walker was basically made to replace it because kojima didn't direct portable ops and also kojima's kid was making fun of him for not inventing monster hunter

storywise it has a few characters return from mgs3 and it shows how Campbell and Frank Jaeger (Grey Fox (Cyborg Ninja)) met Big Boss

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 04:33 on Jun 26, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Buddykins posted:

I like how Master Miller went from being a minor off character in the first to a major player in the entire series

He was in metal gear 2. The 'master miller' in metal gear solid is revealed to be liquid snake I think. Then he's in peace walker and V

Buddykins posted:

the patriots are basically everyone that goes to the bohemian grove irl

this also gets retconned. its just Para-Medic and Zero and Sigint and EVA I think. And Ocelot

Para Medic turns out to be super evil and makes the ninja cyborgs maybe.

its not easy to remember the twists and turns

edit: gently caress yeah

quote:

Para-Medic, real name Dr. Clark, was a member of FOX in the 1960s, serving as a medical adviser to Naked Snake during Operation Snake Eater. Afterwards, she became one of the founding members of the Patriots, a key member in the Les Enfants Terribles project, and later, the chief of FOXHOUND's medical staff until her death.

In 1999, Dr. Clark was the scientist in charge of placing Big Boss into an artificially induced coma, following his defeat by Solid Snake in Zanzibar Land. She was also responsible for reviving Gray Fox by encasing him within a cybernetic exoskeleton and used him as a guinea pig to test her gene therapy techniques. During the next four years, Dr. Clark and her team kept Fox drugged while they experimented on him, the results of which were used in the creation of the Next-Generation Special Forces.

she's solid snake's mom, but not biological mom obv he's a clone with a japanese donor b.c vulcan raven says he's japanese in solid

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 09:23 on Jun 26, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

punished milkman posted:

a lot of them are boring but they did call one “caulk & bawl”

i don't believe you

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Saw a review that america in 1816's story is entirely about everyone being racist to the main character. Like, literally everyone you meet is a genocidal racist and the only culture is how much everyone loves being racist, and the main character just takes it the whole time and never sticks up for himself. c/d?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

what i mean is that it's normal when racism is normalized that its victims lack a voice or even a belief they have a voice

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i don't know anything about D&D because I haven't posted there since 2010

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i also haven't and likely will not play final fantasy

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

As much as I give nintendo poo poo they're actually really, really good about backwards compatability. The only times they haven't done it is when they've switched delivery mechanisms (gamecube > wii > wiiu all worked, the DS was able to play GB and GBC games, the 3ds could play regular ds games, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if they make switch2 backwards compatable (I would also assume that the zelda team is probably pushing for it considering how much better their game runs on PC, and the pokemon team is also probably pushing for it because it lets them be even lazier)

wii u could not play gamecube physically even tho it could electronic hardware wise I think

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i like sekiro cause it's vaguely reality but with immortal centipede curse. great world, level design not great not bad

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

bloodborne has the best story/characters and refined the equipment/weapons and combat to be perfect. Elden Ring is kinda a step back

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

pikmin4 any good? ive heard no buzz at all. the last kirby got way more attention it feels like

its basically a remake of pikmin 2, and then 1, and also some of 3. and they put the challenge modes into the main game seemlessly.

it's the least compelling story (lol) and there's too much talking but you can press the + button go skip it and get back to gameplay.

flying pikmin suck and don't have their own poo poo anymore pikmin types really feel like they don't matter and the dog is like a giant bulbmin (basically as good as 10 pikmin of any type combined except can't break walls well). no time limit and pikmin are smart and don't die and the aim assist makes it so you never miss or throw too many pikmin. if it had a hard mode that freed the reticule and let me throw more than required it'd be better imo

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Aug 4, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the ice pikmin are like unlimited purple spray from pikmin 2. which is ok I guess

it's very fun though the plot is pretty lol once you realize what you're actually collecting (not parts, treasure or fruit)

the tower defense mode is not well realized

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's also kinda glitchy

a hard mode with deadlier enemies and no lock on/throw limit and maybe more pikmin restrictions would make it one of the best games i've played in years tho. I really like it I'm on the last map

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

oh they made xcom 3? sick

*googles*

gently caress you

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Buddykins posted:

Oblivion is the best elder scrolls game, dont @ me gently caress you im right

@buddykins

yeah you're right. it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

FF16 HOT TAKE

So I'm watching a FF16 video essay because ... anyways I heard the following plot reduction and I need to know if it's true. Like I've seen enough screenshots and takes to understand that slavery is just kinda a bunch of times in the background and is treated just as mindlessly at moogle.

"The goal of the game is to kill god to destroy the crystals effectively ending magic, with magic users being who are currently enslaved... eeeehhhh I can't help but see that as 'killing god to make black people white' . I know it isn't what the game is saying, but that it is a possible reading is just goes to show these old japanese dudes were waaay out of their depth"

I need to know from someone I can trust: is that foreal?

Either way it sounds like an incredible final fantasy. Years from now I'll crack open that tome.

isn't that like confusing the map for the country like just because it has slavery and bigotry doesn't mean it's a perfect analogy for the united states in the 1860s or 1960s