Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Frog Act posted:

I’m staking out a controversial position that the 14 HE shells tanks carry in Battlebit should deal like 50% more splash damage to unarmored infantry than it currently does
you'd think the awesome player count would normalize being one-shotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

thank you system shock rc car bombs i wanted to go to the restoration chamber and med bay

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

no brick, 0/10

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Agnostalgia posted:

why is the thread title this
battlebit

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The classic Bethesda voice actors are great. I'd love more of that
I hope we get Jeff Baker back in Starfield, they brought back the adoring fan.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

some people just need games that don't challenge them (intellectually or mentally) ok

it's why i play star rail

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

turn off the TV posted:

modders aren't going to fix lovely writing
the only time i had real honest fun with fallout 4 was when i had a mod that multiplied the amount of enemies to the point where it actually became the borderlands it clearly wanted to be

i expect starfield to be the same way unless they literally plagiarize new vegas, which will be incredibly funny for a different reason

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Whirling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bedleWtFIJ8

Interesting video that shows that Fallout 1 and 2 really aren't big on choices and consequences in the way modern RPGs think of them; as the guy making this says, in Fallout 2 there are correct choices (doing the good thing and getting good rewards and XP for it) and contrarian rear end in a top hat choices (sabotaging everyone for the love of the game).
it's worth mentioning that this sort of thing was actually mindblowing in the 90s, you didn't get that sort of thing very often (the biggest example I could find from the era was wizardry 4)

you see this a lot of similarly revered games like the first deus ex and system shock, they were actually quite simple in their problem-solutions charts because that's all a 3-5 million budget could really afford

as asset and development costs balloon a specific subset of people (of which I am included) have come to expect more, long not realizing the games they adore so much were the product of weird benders by any number of the developers (like morrowind) and for various reasons such games are not likely to be repeated because the conditions for creating them are very rare

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i know they didn't do it for engine reasons and lovely console per-core performance but i'd have enjoyed and been much more sold on the plot of fallout 4 a lot more if in the minuteman (and maybe brotherhood) playthroughs you went into open war with institute forces and synths after settlements you don't control (or left alone for long enough) eventually got slaughtered by the institute as they're implied to have been doing the entire time

20 settlers with inexplicably powerful .45 carbines vs 30-50 feral synths would have been loving amazing to play through

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Seriously though, 76 is better than 4.

Don't need to defend 4 just because people say New Vegas is better than that.
for at least until wastelanders 76 was absolutely not better than 4

now it is though, and has a more complete story to boot even though there's really no ending because you can't have one in an online game

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

KirbyKhan posted:

No, Wastelanders was bad. The parts of the game introduced by Wastelanders sucks rear end and retcons all of the previous adventures into being dumb and useless. The game was far better before the introduction of fail rear end npcs with long rear end procedural quest chains where your reward is some long rear end stationary audiolog from a sadboi or spacegirl.
well i'm not one to deny someone the pleasure of being thrilled by idle skeletons vaguely holding hands with extra steps so i'll concede that as personal taste

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

epic aggressively trying to erase where the name "unreal" in "unreal engine" came from just as id software is waving their arms around going "HEY REMEMBER QUAKE AND QUAKE 2???" (and having nightdive do 80% of the work) is a really good bit, i got to admit

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DrManiac posted:

Of all the dozens of Vampire survivor clones I played Holocure came the closest to it's quality. I like how the characters actually feel different to play with each having their own unique equipment lines and ultimate. The only thing holding it back is me not knowing or caring about anything related to v tubers.
if you read the game as actually [non-lethally subjugating] all the fans it's insanely good

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

gotta admit i laughed at this part of the direct

i hope there are two skeletons holding hands in a planet with no life, space raider camps, or resources to speak of

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Xaris posted:

yes. so it'll be good after mods fix it, as expected.

relax gamers, mods are here to save the day

see, everyone is onboard with the jesus modders. relax.
the problem with that player strategy though is that with fallout 4 there hasn't been an extensive in-universe content mod worth a gently caress, it's always been guns, "difficulty" tweaks, empty consequenceless dungeons, and rarely the bespoke wacky stuff like rideable bots and importing the bestiary of stalker into the game which is actually pretty funny but not as often as one would like.

part of the obvious problem for "i hope mods will fix this" is that bethesda often hires modders that do well-recieved content mods, i think they poached some of the early TTW team as well which is why it had a version update drought for 3 years

the most sustainable way of making these games enjoyable is to basically tweak it in a number of small ways to your preference (like making spawns functionally infinite so you can serious sam your way through the game), or attempt to transform it into another game like those skyrim overhaul mods or running mod lists that try to turn fallout 4 into worse STALKER

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

made up my mind im gonna spend the 30 or 100 bucks on edibles instead and itll be next weds by no time
just watch streamers play it and get really angry they're glossing over total junk and piles of ammunition

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fallout 4 became playable for me when i started adding mods that multiplied hostile spawns by 5 to 10. who knew that a game so focused on its shooting mechanics would be better if they actually gave you things to shoot

i never finished my personal use mod that changed the receivers into mechanical stats, and fallout 76 ended up doing mostly that and has significantly more things to kill than fallout 4 so i ended up playing that for a bit instead and was surprised by how okay the story of 76 ended up post-wastelanders

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i predict totk will be dead last of this year's big 3 exclusives (out of itself, ff16, and starfield) in terms of overall quality, presentation and politics

apropos of absolutely nothing

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

My switch is hackable
in case you turn that thing into money, the series s costs $350 (the $300 model is going to disappear from existence soon, just as well because it can now only hold one game) and if you only have a 1080p tv you're not missing out on all that much compared to the series x

also, most physical series x games don't actually play from disc anyway (which is really shameful but what can you do when packed data would be two or more 50gb discs now)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

I guess you can cloud stream Xbox x games to Xbox 1? I'm borrowing the kids Xbox 1 to okay starfield. 👍
Probably workable if your ping to microsoft cloud/xcloud is 40 or less, BGS games aren't hard until you make them so

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gumball Gumption posted:

Would be a huge mistake. Tears physics system is heads and tails above SQEX managing to put out an ok final fantasy that they mostly achieved by really narrowing their scope.
i'm not calling it a bad game, i'd put totk on the same level as Prey in terms of how interested I was in it (on a pure playability level I loved it, but i've had absolutely no emotional response to doing anything but crashing my ramshackle shitheaps on top of monsters that promptly almost one-shot me, gently caress you shigeru miyamoto), i prefer ff16 more because i actually cared about some of the characters and I generally like stylish action games. I don't have AC6 or BG3 yet due to emergency finance management, but I'm sure I'd enjoy AC6 more than either.

i'm imagining starfield to be in between ff16 and totk in terms of my overall enjoyment out of the box, the prospect of turning it into a psychotic looter game monstrosity like I did fallout 4 doesn't factor on my ultimately irrelevant impressions because that's honestly unfair, it'd be like calling the original Doom games the best games of all time because you can turn them into practically anything. Incidentally they are the best games of all time, but not for that reason.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

euphronius posted:

I think it’s impossible for it to be good . you can’t have that many systems in a game
speaking of games with a ton of systems totk would be a Great game if it was allowed to have a plot, unfortunately the developers had to hide it in sidequests

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'm going to see if it's even the least bit possible to make a kpop himbo in starfield, this totally has nothing to do with planning to go headfirst into the cowboy romance route

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

hopefully starfield is a good trojan horse for me to suggest people play daggerfall :evilbuddy:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

oh my god they have damage numbers in starfield

they grow up so fast :allears:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Bet you can turn it off
i love the feature. it's a good looter shooter staple

Al! posted:

i like damage numbers. hehee number is bigger and redder!!!!
yes, i absolutely no poo poo love to see how much pwnage my noscope headshot is

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its probably going to be one of the games of all time OP

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

game reviewers frowny facing at no useful local maps while i'm laughing in morrowind

(daggerfall has very good local maps in comparison, sometimes they're even 3D!)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's no TOTK
yeah it actually has a story. whether this is a good thing is an exercise left to the reader

not much of one, but it's there

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Schmoe Cwead posted:

im going to stream mass effect andromeda and tell everyone its starfield
i'm gonna stream starfield and tell everyone it's star rail

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

Is that one of those gacha games where it's singleplayer only so you can't even show your conspicuous consumption off? That remains one of the biggest puzzlers to me, wondering which part of why that's so dumb is the worst part.
yep

there's this mobile game friend thing where you can loan your most roided up character so they can do boss battles, but that's pretty much all the interaction you have. genshin at least had a seasonal multiplayer prop hunt mode

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Oh cool you can :filez: Starfield already, screw waiting 5 days.
i'd wait until the f**g*** repack

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Eagerly awaiting Anime Schoolgirl's trip report on whether Starfield will run on an APU
thank you for accelerating my bad decision

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

attempt 1: shader compilation hard freeze requiring a reboot. great sign. (it took 5 minutes to compile the first 154 shaders)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

starfield on athlon 3000g attempt 2: fullscreen windowed ran at 5 fps, so I played in a 720p window, which increased the framerate to a brisk 8fps. dips back to 5fps in combat. the resolution often goes all the way down to 240p, like I'm playing it on a Switch (funny considering I played TOTK with an emulator with a PC with grunt within 8% of the PS5)

loading space or a "dungeon" celestial body takes 2 full minutes, and I'm running on an ok SATA SSD with 3/4 MX500 4K IOPs and 500mb/sec read speed so there's something CPU bound about the loading as well, with this CPU's 2 cores 4 threads.

I imagine a 3400g would play the game at 20fps, but i'm going to go play on my laptop and see if it dies under the weight of Starfield since on my 3000G 8fps is 50% of what I'd consider playable, especially at 240p. Even though I was used to games running at 6 fps back in the early-mid 90s :negative:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Popy posted:

how u nerds playing starfield its not even out yet wtf
premium upgrade (bad decision) + gamepass

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Red Baron posted:

surely they made the shooting in FO76 better than 4 because 4 was awful
the guns are slightly more accurate in fallout 76, and if you made a gun that wasn't accurate scuffed VATS works surprisingly well

if you find the game for 7 dollars i'd say it's worth wasting 20ish or more hours on :thumbsup:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dr Pepper posted:

If Starfield is a game good and interesting enough to have ToLK's flaws it would be the best game Bethesda had ever made.
the problem here is that totk's flaws do not make totk a better game. it would have been a better game if it did not have them. unfortunately nintendo big-franchise first party games aren't allowed to have stories

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Sep 1, 2023

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

to balance how automatic weapons now feel great and easy to use bethesda made them do the damage of bb's :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

a game that falls off hard at the end (namely if you do the main quest) is also pretty bad

totk