Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
:monar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bossy lady posted:

:same:
In college I was doing research on GPU-accelerated password cracking and could've easily mined a couple bitcoin while it was easy, but I laughed it off as an idiotic fad.

basically all of sa did. in fact theres a whole gbs thread where they own themselves continuously over it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bossy lady posted:

:same:
In college I was doing research on GPU-accelerated password cracking and could've easily mined a couple bitcoin while it was easy, but I laughed it off as an idiotic fad.

lol i mined some on my laptop back when it was just like a small internet joke and thread on the forums. i only wanted the bitcoin to be able to buy a printed bitcoin cheque that cost way more than the 1 bitcoin to get printed and mailed to me and had Ron Paul on it. I think bitcoin were like under a under a few cents at the time but even that seemed ludicrous at the time and also still now. I just thought the whole idea of that object would be funny to have tacked onto the wall to display. but I was also broke enough I couldn't justify a few bucks for such an absurd gag gift to myself. I think it also used some kind of QR code so actually showing it anywhere would mean someone else might access it, it was a horrible idea and not sure if the guy ever produced any besides his prototypes. I got some fraction of a bitcoin of the way there before losing interest. The laptop I have whatever address pasted into it's on got dropped at the airport and only boots into safe mode and I never got all my files off of it. Theoretically there's a text document somewhere, not sure where, maybe desktop or one of the folders full of folders of old unknown desktop clutter. I also can't recall if I ended up pasting my address for some randos still into it to use, or if whatever I got my wallet address I had could even be claimed to be mine wit hall the weird early grifts.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

crypto will be back once we can get ai on the blockchain

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Eggs

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

basically all of sa did. in fact theres a whole gbs thread where they own themselves continuously over it

Does anyone have that photo of the dude selling dehydrated fruit that was dried through the heat exhaust of his mining rig?

That was peak bitcoin in my mind.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Black Noise posted:

Does anyone have that photo of the dude selling dehydrated fruit that was dried through the heat exhaust of his mining rig?

That was peak bitcoin in my mind.

lol yes

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Bad Purchase posted:

cryptocurrency

i could've been a forums owning magnate, but instead i never bought any

lmao I forget the actual figure, but I seem to remember I bought some LSD for 13 bitcoin more than a decade ago. And it got confiscated by the police so I wasn't even able to enjoy it.

Thankfully I've become a bitcoin true believer twat lately so it's time to jump back on that train and getting hated by the rest of society

Another Castle
May 19, 2006

Yo Ton', you see these two guys?

Reoxygenation posted:

Terribly sorry to hear that, it's not too late to not post anymore

You can only stay away for so long until it calls you back.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

You sound like the type of discerning goon who should buy some crypto NOW before it rockets to the moon

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Giving a poo poo. About 25 years late, but there's always time goons.

EDIT: Specifically, giving a poo poo about not dying.

Lusty Grundles fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 26, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep tried mining some coins very early on, felt like it was taking forever to get even 1 coin so gave it up because it felt dumb and pointless. It's still dumb and pointless but I could've made some money by selling that to some idiot for actual cash money.

Peggy Edson posted:

never too late to get in shape imo. i mean unless you've already gotten like diabetes or had heart attacks or w/e already

anywho i'm more in shape at 37 than I've ever been and it feels pretty drat good
Yeah it's never too late but it would've been way easier to make gains

Lusty Grundles posted:

Now this sounds like a bad idea

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

You sound like the type of discerning goon who should buy some crypto NOW before it rockets to the moon

think ur in the wrong thread. this is the too late thread

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Lusty Grundles posted:

Bollocks. People spend their youth until 35 giving a poo poo about what other people think, then life shits on them, they break down, and just stop giving a gently caress about their floppy belly or being a brony in public.

It's not to late to embrace that you're a loving weirdo like everybody else, and no one really cares either

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

an activity that i got into too late and missed tbe popularity phase of? oh how about being loved and trusting another person and not being a broken depressed individual posting rhis way in every gbs thread regardless of how on topic it is :imunfunny::imunfunny::imunfunny:

I haven't gotten into overreacting yet but it doesn't seem that fun

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Lifroc posted:

Bollocks. People spend their youth until 35 giving a poo poo about what other people think, then life shits on them, they break down, and just stop giving a gently caress about their floppy belly or being a brony in public.

It's not to late to embrace that you're a loving weirdo like everybody else, and no one really cares either
In my case, it's broadly about not dying before I'm 40. What I was doing, yeah 100% I'd be dead by now.

It wasn't a pseudo-deep comment about the state of the world, though it probably looked like that.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Lusty Grundles posted:

In my case, it's broadly about not dying before I'm 40. What I was doing, yeah 100% I'd be dead by now.

It wasn't a pseudo-deep comment about the state of the world, though it probably looked like that.

Good for you then. I'm still trying to get past the self destructive half of my life.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Lifroc posted:

Good for you then. I'm still trying to get past the self destructive half of my life.
You've got this :love:

Silvah
Aug 27, 2004
s0me
MF DOOM. RIP.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The wonderful product known as Barkeeper’s Friend

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Khanstant posted:

lol i mined some on my laptop back when it was just like a small internet joke and thread on the forums. i only wanted the bitcoin to be able to buy a printed bitcoin cheque that cost way more than the 1 bitcoin to get printed and mailed to me and had Ron Paul on it. I think bitcoin were like under a under a few cents at the time but even that seemed ludicrous at the time and also still now. I just thought the whole idea of that object would be funny to have tacked onto the wall to display. but I was also broke enough I couldn't justify a few bucks for such an absurd gag gift to myself. I think it also used some kind of QR code so actually showing it anywhere would mean someone else might access it, it was a horrible idea and not sure if the guy ever produced any besides his prototypes. I got some fraction of a bitcoin of the way there before losing interest. The laptop I have whatever address pasted into it's on got dropped at the airport and only boots into safe mode and I never got all my files off of it. Theoretically there's a text document somewhere, not sure where, maybe desktop or one of the folders full of folders of old unknown desktop clutter. I also can't recall if I ended up pasting my address for some randos still into it to use, or if whatever I got my wallet address I had could even be claimed to be mine wit hall the weird early grifts.

If it boots, you can still get the files. Pull that drive and hook it up to a Windows or Linux system and rip and tear until the files are done.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Not having an opinion about everything. No one cares, least of all me

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I got some recently, it's handy, but I don't see what's everybody raving about, that other powdered cleaning products don't do