Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’ll give Ladyhawke a mention just for Rutger Hauer

Ladyhawke rules.

FAH Q posted:

Flight of Dragons was choice.

The Flight of Dragons rules.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Last Unicorn, Legend.

These two are really incredible, too. Lots of great fantasy movie examples ITT :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Binary Badger posted:

Hawk the Slayer!

Hit the theaters in Britain in 1980, it's almost a love letter to D & D..

It had wildly different effects, a good guy with a glowing sword, a giant guy whose appetite is as huge as his strength, a goth elf who shoots arrows and crossbows like a machine gun, a magic lady who worked with glowing hula hoops and fiery ping pong balls, what's not to like?

It even stars Jack Palance as the scenery chewing bad guy!

It has become a cult movie favorite, even the Riffrrax version is quite entertaining!

loving lol at the bow scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veszrg1TErk

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I watched Hawk the Slayer a few months ago and it's pretty good for a 1980 fantasy movie

But the soundtrack is full of synth bangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgCUV98Ot2Q

In light of the above post I'm realizing that the soundtrack isn't full of Synth bangers, it's just full of this synth banger.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I want to see the movie that Fire and Ice wanted to be.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWVJr7JbJZc

D r a g o n s l a y e r

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Missing the mark by two years but the bakshi lord of the rings kicks rear end

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
Don't sleep on Fire & Ice, it's one of the horniest movies ever committed to film

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

FLASH. aaaAAAHH.

There's bird people, it's fantasy.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

FAH Q posted:

1978-1982 had some legit amazing fantasy but Flight of Dragons was choice.

Is this the one where the dragons had to eat limestone or something to cause a chemical reaction that gave them buoyancy? And the protagonist casted attacks by quoting science or doing math?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Going to give an honorable mention to Beastmaster 2 as the best 80s scifi/fantasy character comes to modern day earth movie even though it came out in 91 since the original Beastmaster was early 80s

e: Best existing character. Otherwise Earth Girls are Easy would beat it.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 27, 2023

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

I don't know what you mean; the archery looked completely natural.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Doot-a-doot-a-loot

Best part of hawk other than Jack Palance eating all the scenery is the part where they burst into the abbey and spray silly string all over the very startled guard

The rifftrax of hawk the slayer is actually free on tubi rn, which is a much more entertaining way of watching it

TheKub posted:

Is this the one where the dragons had to eat limestone or something to cause a chemical reaction that gave them buoyancy? And the protagonist casted attacks by quoting science or doing math?

Lol yea I'm pretty sure the author of the book it's based on was a huge fuckin nerd. John Ritter's vocal performance always cracks me up in that movie, he sounds perpetually incredulous.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 27, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Literally the only thing I ever remember about it, that goofy uptight dude stop motion machine gunning everyone with his arrows. Couldn't tell you who Hawk is, what he wants or why he wants it, just that he's mates with Arrow Guy.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

TheKub posted:

Holy poo poo I saw this on cable when i was like 5 or something and forgot about it until this comment unearthed it. Wondering if I would enjoy it now...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The 80's was just great for fantasy films. I think CGI sort of ruined it.

LOTR would of been better, and it would of been better for fantasy films as a whole, if Gollum had been traditional Jackson style horny muppet and I will die on this hill. :colbert:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

dr_rat posted:

The 80's was just great for fantasy films. I think CGI sort of ruined it.

LOTR would of been better, and it would of been better for fantasy films as a whole, if Gollum had been traditional Jackson style horny muppet and I will die on this hill. :colbert:

cgi is only good if used in small amounts on top of trad methods

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Krull rules and has unexpectedly gorgeous shots throughout

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

quest for fire

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

MrQwerty posted:

Don't sleep on Fire & Ice, it's one of the horniest movies ever committed to film

The sheer number of loincloth’d crotch shots in this film is certainly notable

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Revins posted:

Krull rules and has unexpectedly gorgeous shots throughout

There was something doing the rounds recently basically asking how the gently caress is it that so many middle of the road B movies from the 70s and 80s have cinematography that pisses all over most big films of the last decade or so. Like, other than Roger Deakins and a couple of others, most films of late look rubbish in comparison when it comes to framing, lighting, general shot composition, etc.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

GolfHole posted:

quest for fire

It will always be amazing that they were able to dig Ron Perlman out of glacier to be in the movie.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Star wars

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i think you might be looking for the worst movie thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I believe you'll find that film fits under historical war doco.

You can tell because of all the words at the start.