Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
Lefties are cool as gently caress.
gently caress the Police.
Righthanded people did 911. (true story look it up)
Goku is lefthanded.
View Results

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What's the point of banning the tugging posters if threads can't help but devolve into tugging regardless? Can't go 5 minutes without someone talking about playing wit theyself

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Catastrophe posted:

But yeah I also do things like use a mouse, play guitar, or use scissors right-handed. A lot of it is just muscle memory and getting used to whatever action it is. When I got really into regularly writing, I tried to force myself to try writing right-handed here and there. It was horrendous, at first. Practicing, it got better and better. Just like learning to write at first when you were a kid, you can't give up right away just because it isn't immediately comfortable. I gave up eventually, though.

I am 99.9% lefty except for one major thing: playing guitar. I taught myself to play lefty and was pretty decent at it until my dad told me to switch to righty because he felt my dominant hand should be the one on the fretboard. He was correct and I got really good by almost the first day; it was incredible, like an untapped mutant power I had. Haven’t touched a guitar in years, though. Kinda wanna start playing lefty again just because. I always subconsciously air guitar as a lefty :regd10:

I mouse lefty at home that came about because I used to have a Wacom tablet I drew with and it just kind of stuck (no longer use a tablet). I can mouse righty, though and have since my middle school days in the early ‘90s.

Never understood the thing with scissors, though. I learned early on you’ve got to push the handles away to cut cleanly in the left hand because that pushes the blades together. The weird thing is I actually bought truly left-handed scissors where the blades are reversed and my muscle memory of using righty scissors in my left hand caused me to curse the drat things and never use them.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
the only thing I do with my left hand is shoot a basketball so I'm technically allowed to post itt :smug:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

I think it's great you people have your own thread

its adorable. a safe space

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A sinister space.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
loving finally.

We are superior in every way and will inherit the earth.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

its adorable. a safe space

We are an adorable practical people.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Now that they're in one place, send in the nuns to beat them.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

is it okay to be here if i throw right handed because i broke my arm as a kid

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I am left handed, but use a mouse with my right hand. I feel like a traitor but its all I know now.
Also, gently caress scissors and saws.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
To be left handed is to have ink stains on your fingers growing up

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Charles Bukowski posted:

To be left handed is to have ink stains on your fingers growing up
I got in trouble in like 4th grade for using our spiral-bound notebooks upside-down. We were required to use spiral-bound notebooks specifically for whatever dumb reason but I did not relish hurting myself every day. Guess the teacher decided we had to suffer for our genetics

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
those erasable ink pens sucked poo poo

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh no wait it wasn't our fingers, it was along the left edge of your hand. You couldn't help but smear as you dragged it across the page.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Charles Bukowski posted:

Oh no wait it wasn't our fingers, it was along the left edge of your hand. You couldn't help but smear as you dragged it across the page.

The edge of my left hand was always a shiny, dark grey from all of the pencil lead.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

What if I was born a lefty but my teachers forced me to do things with my right hand so it became the dominant hand?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Regrettable posted:

What if I was born a lefty but my teachers forced me to do things with my right hand so it became the dominant hand?

Then you're old as gently caress maybe

Shoulda shoved that nun into a fish tank

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Regrettable posted:

If you weren't born in the 60's your teacher(s) were batshit insane

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm right handed and I'm doing the jerk off wiseguy motion all over this thread right now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

Then you're old as gently caress maybe

Shoulda shoved that nun into a fish tank

38 which is old but not really around these parts. And it wasn't a religious school just very southern.

Jelly posted:

If you weren't born in the 60's your teacher(s) were batshit insane

Regrettable posted:

very southern.

Checks out.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Regrettable posted:

38 which is old but not really around these parts. And it wasn't a religious school just very southern.

It comes from left handedness being associated with the devil, so religious school or not, your teachers fuckin blew and I hope they weren't happy in life. I hope you are, you deserve it for that hardship. They did that to my uncle as well, but he's a bad person so maybe they were right to do so.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

It comes from left handedness being associated with the devil, so religious school or not, your teachers fuckin blew and I hope they weren't happy in life. I hope you are, you deserve it for that hardship. They did that to my uncle as well, but he's a bad person so maybe they were right to do so.

Things could always be better but I'm doing alright, thanks. :)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

im righthanded but i have lefty leanings

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

socially i’m very left handed, but fiscally i use my right

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm right handed and I'm doing the jerk off wiseguy motion all over this thread right now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

When you get to hell, tell em Lefty sent ya.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Regrettable posted:

Checks out.

43, grew up in very rural northern California. I could write with both hands until 3rd grade, when my public-school teacher mandated that I only write with my right. I sorta/kinda kept it up for a little bit in grade school, and I can still write legibly with my left hand (s l o w l y) After my right hand cramped up writing notes in college I tried writing with my left hand once, but other than being 10x slower, I didn't memorize the material the same way. I could switch hit AND switch pitch equally well throughout childhood, also shot basketballs with both hands, but after I tore my rotator cuff in high school I stopped doing ambidextrous athletic stuff and that was that.

Charles Bukowski posted:

IIRC my teacher hated me smearing the ink with my left hand. Also my 3rd grade teacher was old as gently caress - she had been teaching at that elementary school for years when my parents went there as children :cry:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
being left handed rules, except for the fact that you always have to switch the mouse to the correct side and sometimes you have to remap controls for mouse and keyboard games

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pencil smearers, have y’all considered retraining your hand to underwrite? Much more comfortable and practical than overwriting with the hooked hand or dragging your hand across the paper which is how I used to write. I took a few college courses over a decade ago and got tired of my hand cramping up every other sentence. I also couldn’t jot down notes as fast as I wanted, so I started tilting the paper to the right and trained myself to write under the line instead of across it.

It’s gonna suck butt at first and you will definitely cramp up and curse your sinistrality, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. I can write super fast now and never cramp up, and as a bonus it also helps when you write on a whiteboard. Just pick a phrase or two and write it over and over on a piece of paper until you get the hang of it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When I was in kindergarten I kept failing the writing tasks because the teachers were putting the pencil in my right hand, they didn't even think a left-handed person could exist until I couldn't cut felt for a craft project. How ever long two report card periods were, that's how long it took for them to figure it out lmao

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I always think it is weird how often righties feel like they have to point out that I'm left handed when they see me doing something with my left hand.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Catastrophe posted:

Is skating goofy-foot stance a common trait for us lefties or is that unrelated? Because that's how I skate. Trying to skate the normal way = fall down.

But yeah I also do things like use a mouse, play guitar, or use scissors right-handed. A lot of it is just muscle memory and getting used to whatever action it is. When I got really into regularly writing, I tried to force myself to try writing right-handed here and there. It was horrendous, at first. Practicing, it got better and better. Just like learning to write at first when you were a kid, you can't give up right away just because it isn't immediately comfortable. I gave up eventually, though.

There is such thing as being left-footed -- I learned that I'm left-footed when I took a dance class in college. Something about how you like to lead, or whatever.

There's also eye dominance, and it's not just which eye sees better. Put your hands together and mess around until you make an empty triangle shape between them. Now put some distant object in your room inside the triangle while viewing with both eyes. Then, look with just your left eye; finally, with just your right eye. The eye with which you still have the object centered in your hand triangle is your dominant eye! :science:

I'm left-handed, left-footed, and left-eyed, so I like to think I'm pretty sinister. :devil: In short,

Jelly posted:

loving finally.

We are superior in every way and will inherit the earth.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm an everything-left (write left, eat left, kick left, left eye dominant, etc.). Commit to the bit, I say.

WASD + mouse? Huh, that's cute. Let me tell you about a little something called the numpad. :smug:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

im left handed but i use my right hand for writing, holding stuff, opening doors, and a whole host of other day-to-day activities. it's pretty nice being accepted by society.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

being left handed rules, except for the fact that you always have to switch the mouse to the correct side and sometimes you have to remap controls for mouse and keyboard games

It's helped me avoid carpal tunnel. I use a mouse right handed at work and left handed (but not remapped) when on my own computer.

I amaze people by having pretty good handwriting. My secret was to angle the paper but not my wrist.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

muscles like this! posted:

I always think it is weird how often righties feel like they have to point out that I'm left handed when they see me doing something with my left hand.

Two decades into the 21st century and there's still people who think we're some kind of novelty.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I've found that lefties learn to do a bunch of stuff right-handed/ambidextrously just from living in a right-handed country, but right-handers don't until they have their right arm in a cast. My classmates were astonished when I chose to learn "touch-typing" the calculators right-handed (so that I didn't have to set down my pencil between writing the answers in the workbook).

I'm lefty, but ambi on my eye-dominance. Never wrote with a hook, have decent handwriting, but I tilt the paper way to the right.
I use scissors right-handed, but tend to hold the scissors still and move the thing I'm cutting around.

I would really like to know how to make my touch-screen phone move the scroll bars to the left, though.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I've found that lefties learn to do a bunch of stuff right-handed/ambidextrously just from living in a right-handed country, but right-handers don't until they have their right arm in a cast. L

Yeah lefties rock

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Every time I see a lefty dragging their hand through a parasite pencil trail I can't help but giggle.

Do you carry little wet wipes?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

being a lefty was a big benefit when i was a competitive fencer. but it didn't make me a better driver when I rented a stick-shift in the uk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Appoda posted:

There is such thing as being left-footed -- I learned that I'm left-footed when I took a dance class in college. Something about how you like to lead, or whatever.
This is also evident to anyone who snowboards. Some say a good way to determine this is to fall forward without thinking about it and see which foot you catch yourself with (e: whichever you step forward with is your back / dominant foot) . But an even better approach is to do a "run and slide" on a hardwood floor.

Left foot forward is actually referred to as "regular" in snowboarding.

I'm right foot forward which they've discriminatorily labeled "goofy".

But I think somehow this is still left foot dominance, which is a little confusing to me because I feel I do more with my right foot when boarding, but if you move to a skater perspective, I would use my left/dominant foot to push.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 29, 2023