Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My family went on a cruise when I was in high school and I enjoyed it. We went from New York down to Orlando and then on to the Bahamas. We also did as many excursions as we could, rather than spending all of our time on the boat.

The first night the water was incredibly rough and most of the boat got sick, myself included, so they handed out barf bags and Dramamine to everyone. I remember the food being really good, especially this chocolate buffet they did. Again, I was a teenager so it might have actually been total crap and I was just happy about the huge portions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
holy gently caress look at this new one that is almost complete. 8000+ people including crew. :stare:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
They're tailor-designed to vacuum money out of your wallet while also giving you diarrhea

So no

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ugly as gently caress.

But imagining the norovirus is amusing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

We did a mid-tier Royal Caribbean cruise around this time last year and I actually had a great time.

Very clean, great service staff, lots of entertainment onboard and decent excursions at our three stops (Coco Cay, Jamaica, Haiti) and it wasn't overly bankbreaking.

Pros:
No schedule
Can eat whenever you like at various levels of quality
Being in the middle of the ocean is awesome
Great pools
Unlimited alcohol add-on for us drunks
Show and entertainment quality (trivia, piano bar, ice skating show, etc.) was surprisingly good
Coco Cay was good for lazing about and Haiti had great diving and gear rentals

Cons:
Jamaica wasn't great--we booked a snorkeling excursion and it was just tons of jackass tourists running into each other and literally standing on the loving coral reefs
Internet sucks and roaming is expensive
I caught Covid
Abortion had been banned when I got back to the US

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Went two as a kid, it was whatever, I had more fun at our stops around Mexico off the ship

I've been on a few more as part of some free trips, courtesy of my wife's retired aunt, so that's pretty cool. We did one to Bermuda that had some of the worst food I've ever had on a ship, or a resort of any kind for that matter. poo poo was stale, stuff like milk was loving warm, we ate off the ship as much as we could. Nothing but boomers so I guess they didn't know any better???

They suck OP

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Hazo posted:

Cons:

So this was all YOUR fault.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Why in the world would you waste the energy? Just lie in bed and wait to die like a normal person.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My wife and I really love to walk around cities and do our own thing on vacation. A lot of the time we like to go off the beaten path and do non-touristy things. We like to get an AirBnB and cook a lot of our meals ourself and do that sort of thing. We don’t have any kids so we really aren’t diving head first into the mega touristy stuff to do in whatever area we are vacationing.

However… We’ve also been on a few cruises…

Every now and then, we just just want to go on vacation and don’t feel like planning poo poo, or doing poo poo, or cooking, or anything. Cruises are perfect for that. Sometimes it’s just fun to be force-fed food and alcohol all day every day for a week, hit the pool, hit the spa, spend a few hours walking around the touristy ports buying touristy poo poo. Want to get hammered and watch a hula hoop contest on the sun deck? Sure why not! Cruises are a good change of pace to our regular types of vacations and they’re fun. But I definitely spread them a few years apart. They can get a little repetitive.

Never gotten norovirus or any of that poo poo.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Cruises are great if you love norovirus

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Chinatown posted:

holy gently caress look at this new one that is almost complete. 8000+ people including crew. :stare:

I went on an 8-day cruise on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas last summer and had a great time. It was their largest ship when we booked it, second when we sailed, and now it's third after the ship in that pic started sailing. It's in a whole different tier than the Carnival and Norwegian boats I've been on. Our stops in St. Maarten and St. Thomas were nice but the stop in Puerto Rico was too short. We also stopped at Royal Caribbean's island CocoCay which has an awesome water park and beach areas which made Norwegian's poo poo-tier lump of sand and rock (I don't even remember their island's name) seem even worse than it did on our honeymoon. Royal Caribbean's food, cleanliness, service, etc. was awesome at least on that ship. There were approximately 7.5k on board when we went.

We followed it up with an 11-day road trip filled with multiple amusement parks, museums, whitewater rafting, zip lining, etc. and had lots of fun but our twins are always bringing up the cruise and want to do another one.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I went on an 8-day cruise on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas

More like Symphony of Disease

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
I have done a good deal of international travel staying at hostels and I always thought the typical stereotype of the American tourist were massively overblown. Until I went to my only cruise and figured out they all travel that way. When we landed in Jamaica we were immediately put on a bus and driven to a Margaritaville, to give a sense of how much you get to see when island hopping. I will admit the endless food was decent, and I got to try some interesting stuff at the dinners.

The one exception I have debated on is the Boardgame Cruises I have seen. A week on a boat eating food and playing boardgames all day honestly doesn't sound too bad.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
nothing is a good vacation the world is polluted with humanity OP

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I have never been on a cruise, but I know that thanks to the Jones Act all the cruise companies doing tours of the Hawaiian Islands had two options:

1) Actually register their ship in the United States, or
2) Sail all the way to Kiribati and stop there long enough to legally call the cruise an international trip

and up until very recently all the cruise lines felt that 2 was the better option.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I have never been on a cruise, but I know that thanks to the Jones Act all the cruise companies doing tours of the Hawaiian Islands had two options:

1) Actually register their ship in the United States, or
2) Sail all the way to Kiribati and stop there long enough to legally call the cruise an international trip

and up until very recently all the cruise lines felt that 2 was the better option.

What was the benefit for the cruise lines, skirting US regulations?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Smugworth posted:

What was the benefit for the cruise lines, skirting US regulations?

Yep! An American ship means an American crew, with all the labor protections that entails.

And yes, I know how incredibly low that bar is.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i did a weeklong gig as a musician on a short cruise and most of the people there seemed like they were enjoying themselves but i thought the boat smelled bad (like a nursing home) and the food was terrible. also everyone was ultra paranoid about communicable diseases and constantly sanitizing hands even though this was years before covid, so im sure thats only gotten worse.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
This is an essay by David Foster Wallace about surviving a sea cruise. it might be out of date as it was written in 1996 but I enjoyed it.

Shipping Out

and a reading is here

https://youtu.be/Q02HSI8VF9w

Shiney McShine fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 28, 2023

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

At the price of cruises I'd say they're a waste. They hammer you over the head with this performative excess and after a day or two the novelty falls off hard.

I'd probably rather just fly to Bali, Fiji, or Thailand and do some all inclusive resort package.

But thats a perk of living down under.

My retired folks will split a house with like 4 other couples on Jamaica. It comes staffed and you can still leave and walk around plus there's a pool and prepared meals. It's way less "tacky" than a cruise and a fraction of the price of a nice cruise. Plus the benefit of not being surrounded by 6500 members of the public.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Shiney McShine posted:

This is an essay by David Foster Wallace about surviving a sea cruise. it might be out of date as it was written in 1996 but I enjoyed it.

Shipping Out

and a reading is here

https://youtu.be/Q02HSI8VF9w

One of my favorite DFW essays and def. worth the read.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Chinatown posted:

Last one I took with my fam years ago had my GI tract in complete shambles within days. Terrible vile watery movements on the daily. Didn't get sick or anything just the food and drink and foreign ports of call just destroyed my GI tract.

montezumas revenge?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Hazo posted:

We did a mid-tier Royal Caribbean cruise around this time last year and I actually had a great time.

Very clean, great service staff, lots of entertainment onboard and decent excursions at our three stops (Coco Cay, Jamaica, Haiti) and it wasn't overly bankbreaking.

Pros:
No schedule
Can eat whenever you like at various levels of quality
Being in the middle of the ocean is awesome
Great pools
Unlimited alcohol add-on for us drunks
Show and entertainment quality (trivia, piano bar, ice skating show, etc.) was surprisingly good
Coco Cay was good for lazing about and Haiti had great diving and gear rentals

Cons:
Jamaica wasn't great--we booked a snorkeling excursion and it was just tons of jackass tourists running into each other and literally standing on the loving coral reefs
Internet sucks and roaming is expensive
I caught Covid

wtf haiti? I thought it was legitimately unsafe to go there

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
There's an excellent documentary on YT about the Costa Concordia, which tipped over sideways just off shore of the west coast of Italy due to total incompetence of the captain and crew. The doc is made almost entirely of footage shot by people on board as it happened in real-time.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Cruises are great if you're the type of person who requests piano man every night

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Serious_Cyclone posted:

There's an excellent documentary on YT about the Costa Concordia, which tipped over sideways just off shore of the west coast of Italy due to total incompetence of the captain and crew. The doc is made almost entirely of footage shot by people on board as it happened in real-time.

pretty sure that was entirely on the captain, not the crew. he intentionally steered the ship too close to the coast because he wanted to show off for people in some town, and grounded the ship. then, during the evacuation, he was one of the first people to leave the boat, which is i think one of the hugest breaches of maritime protocol that a captain could possibly commit in that situation, and there's a great recording of the italian coast guard chewing him out for it over the radio. but from what i heard the rest of the crew did everything they were supposed to in that situation, and several of them died.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Larry Cum Free posted:

More like Symphony of Disease

While it's only a small bit of insurance, they were still requiring people test negative for covid within 48hrs of boarding. I'm sure it would have been a living nightmare for some people to be on a boat of that size and all those people.

I'm imagining that goon with the LED fan respirator standing in one of the pools screaming at people to stay away through his chest-mounted speaker and lmfao-ing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Kirk Vikernes posted:

While it's only a small bit of insurance, they were still requiring people test negative for covid within 48hrs of boarding. I'm sure it would have been a living nightmare for some people to be on a boat of that size and all those people.

I'm imagining that goon with the LED fan respirator standing in one of the pools screaming at people to stay away through his chest-mounted speaker and lmfao-ing.

Yep, I was on Explorer of the Seas and we did all their strict covid testing hoops and protocols.

Still caught it.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

There are lots of sexual assaults, rapes etc on cruises that due international waters, jurisdictions, cruise lines not wanting bad press they never get prosecuted and cruise lines will actively suppress, gas light, lie to victims, run smear campaigns etc

They're also incredibly wasteful it's really the perfect boomer holiday, wake up somewhere new everyday while they dump all the garbage into the ocean overnight, get off and go do a photoshoot with a dolphin who gets tortured most of the day

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
remembered that the last one i was on i went out to the bars/etc one of the first nights and then woke up the next morning in my windowless cabin and went out to get breakfast and it was already 2pm :negative:

obviously, i just hit the taco bar and immediately resumed drinking

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Hazo posted:

Yep, I was on Explorer of the Seas and we did all their strict covid testing hoops and protocols.

Still caught it.

Yikes. Did they make you quarantine in your room or isolate you further? They mentioned something about quarantine on lower decks prior to boarding when we went.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Boomer parents just came back from a cruise. Apparently they provided covid tests, and when my dad tested positive and asked what to do to, they said nothing, no need to quarantine. Apparently nobody did anyway, buffets and restaurants were packed with people coughing, clearly sick, the whole boat turned into one giant covid cruise. Then there is my MIL who without fail gets come kind of sickness requiring medical intervention when she returns from every cruise.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I never really connected it but yeah, this happened 2 years before my boat poo poo.
Simpsons did it! :tinfoil:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Larry Cum Free posted:

I only went on one cruise and I didn't enjoy it.

There was this one door that didn't look like any of the other doors on the cruise ship that had a crudely handwritten sign on it which just said "BUGS". After like the 5th time I walked by it, my curiosity got the better of me and I checked to see if the door was locked. It wasn't! I opened it and it was a ~100 square foot room COMPLETELY filled to the roof with spiders! Like those prank videos where someone's office got completely filled with styrofoam packing peanuts. I ran away as soon as my brain processed what was happening and all the spiders came pouring out. I could hear all the screams behind me as I booked it to my room.

By that evening, the ship's captain had pressganged most of the guests into spider removal duty. We'd take pool skimmers and run with them along the decks until they were full of spiders, then try to fling them over the side and into the sea. Most of the time the wind would just blow the spiders back towards the ship, where they'd cling to the side and come back onto the deck more determined than ever.

By day 3 we ceded control of the ship to the spiders. In the end no one survived.

No way this happened. Most species of spiders are cannibalistic, which is why they can't be farmed for silk.

Try harder next time. Maybe use cockroaches in your fanfiction.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Yikes. Did they make you quarantine in your room or isolate you further? They mentioned something about quarantine on lower decks prior to boarding when we went.

No, I didn't start feeling bad until we were at the airport flying home. Walked in the door to the house, took a test, and lit it up positive.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

We took a three day Carnival cruise as a graduation present for my son and it was trashy as hell but glorious. Won enough at blackjack to pay for most of the trip, ate like a maniac, heckled the terrible karaoke performers. The best non-trash part was sitting in the window and just staring at the sea.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I went on a cruise with my mom that went to Puerto Rico and some other places that I don't remember, and I did not have all that good of a time because it was hot as balls. For my 30th birthday, my mom & grandmother took me on a New England & Canada cruise that was absolutely amazing -- I stuffed my face with all the lobster & blueberry martinis/margaritas/mimosas/beer that I could fit into my body when we got to Maine. Then, to celebrate my uncle's best friend's 50th birthday, we went on another hot-as-balls cruise that was fun as hell, mostly because everyone that was there was extremely awesome. Hope that helps. Anyway...

If you enjoy the following things, you will probably enjoy a cruise:
- eating (quantity over quality)
- drinking (see above)
- pretty ocean views
- mingling
- borderline overzealous customer service

If the following things don't appeal to you, you'll probably enjoy a cruise even more:
- people in the Gen Z & millennial age range
- exploring
- animals

If you are able to ignore the following things, it'll be even easier for you to enjoy a cruise:
- the environment :gonk:

GrapeSoda
Oct 22, 2008
It's not for everyone but I really enjoy them. You get to rot in the sun and get fat while the scenery changes around you for cheaper than a hotel stay. And if you pick one of the lines not catered towards old people they throw some entertainment in.

You do need to be able to ignore everything everyone is trying to sell you because you're trapped in a floating shopping mall full of salespeople and

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Valko posted:

No way this happened. Most species of spiders are cannibalistic, which is why they can't be farmed for silk.

No its true I was there I saw it I was on the cruise also and I made it with a sexy lady when I was on the cruise. If the spider thing is true the sex lady thing is true too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Valko posted:

Grow up.