Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i did a cruise with my family shortly after our mother died of cancer. my mother was the passionate/outgoing person in the family, dad was (and is) always the kind/practical one. consequently the heart of the family was just suddenly not there any more, and my father's solution was a cruise to try to weld the family back together.

in that context, it worked. we did some incredibly chintzy carribean thing that stopped in puerto rico, belize, and mexico over the course of a week. we had a few days at sea where we largely left each other to our own devices, but everything is so social on a cruise ship you can't help but talk to people to some extent. i ate a lot of lovely pizza and talked to randos while soaking in a hot tub. i also napped a lot until the evening shows came on. the excursions when we stopped were whatever. you get off the boat and go to some sickeningly overly-curated event, but even then it's at least different and we had to do it as a family. so all in all i'd say it was positive.

that said, if i were to plan a vacation today for the same purpose, i would probably prefer some kind of train trip instead. if you're going to be gone for a week or whatever, trains actually have a pretty nice setup. it's like a road trip only you can move around a bit and nobody has to drive. some trains even have dining cars and bar cars. sleeper cars also still exist. also, train schedules in the US are kind of hilarious because amtrak is largely an artifact of a bygone era, so if you ever change trains to get some place, you are probably staying at least a day at a specific city or station. which, in the context of a vacation, is fine; yeah, chicago might not be a great destination, but if you hang out there for a day and a night waiting for your train, you can walk around, see some stuff, take it easy. have a decent meal, maybe tour a museum. whatever you want. then at the end of the vacation you just book a one-way plane ticket back home, so when you're done, you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU