Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
If you've got a hateboner and want to read something hilariously scathing Walter Chaw's got you covered. Honestly he sounds like he's overreacting even just going by his own descriptions but that's part of what makes it a fun read:
https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2023/06/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny.html

Indy 5 tries to infuse some life into itself with the addition of Phoebe Waller-Bridge, whose Helena Shaw introduces herself as a young woman Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) knew at some indeterminate point in the past. Given that Indy's reunion with Marion (Karen Allen) in Raiders of the Lost Ark drops the nugget that she was likely a victim of statutory rape ("I was a child. I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it"), I spent a few minutes wondering if Indy had molested a child Helena. But while Helena--the daughter of new character Basil Shaw (Toby Jones), the obvious replacement for Marcus Brody (the late Denholm Elliott)--remains blissfully clear of one of the darker intimations of the Indiana Jones character, she does function as a hollow doppelgänger for Marion, just as Basil is a hollow shade of Marcus. Meaning that for as bad as the de-aging effects are in this picture, its sparkless attempts to recapture some of the chemistry of the original films are somehow worse.

Considering the state of this country and its embarrassing, exportable culture, the boring, vaguely malignant fucknuttery of Indy 5 is actually the perfect synecdoche for our time and place. Nostalgia is a hell of a soporific--a deadly barbiturate, addictive and emotionally stunting. Unless you think "Make America Great Again" is a slogan peddling progress.

Helena's main character trait is that she's a smug, tedious piece of poo poo who likes to gently caress; I've never watched "Fleabag" and I think I'll skip it now.

It's easily the worst film of a series that has been maddening before, scattershot before, even bad before, but never so facile (including the jungle swinging in Crystal Skull). Never so pathetic. I wish I could dial back time a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

My abiding memory of The Force Awakens is 'Oh man, Han Solo got so old'.

It genuinally bummed me out, so I think I'll be giving this one a miss.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I liked part 3 when Indy literally burned 3 people to death on a boat because some lovely trinket needed to be in the back corner of a museum where no one would look at it.

*Indiana Jones would probably show up to your house and murder you for your comic book collection.

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 29, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Somehow, Indiana Jones returned.”

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

*Indiana Jones would probably show up to your house and murder you for your comic book collection.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Looks real bad op

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Indy said punching nazis is cool, so yeah go get em guy.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Fleabag is cool and good

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Indiana Jones and the Pick of Destiny

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They should just do Indiana Jones in Space, like Jason X.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i hope they have a scene where indiana jones meets a young elon musk

there are nazis in the movie so it's not out of the question

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Indiana Jones and the Retirement Home

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Indiana Jones and the we know where the holy grail fell, let's go back and dig it up.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
The early reviews said the movie was boring and depressing and stated that Waller bridge’s character was “insufferably annoying”.

It’s currently on track to lose so much money that Putin might throw Harrison Ford out a window.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's the greatest film I've ever seen

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Disney has become really good at destroying the properties it paid billions for.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The commercials make it look like he is still fighting Nazis but how is he like 40 years older than he was when he was in the old movies but still is fighting the Nazis?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Somehow, the nazis returned

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The dial is destiny is in my medical cabinet

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I thought it was the Pick of Destiny

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Pick is a furry not a destiny

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Indiana Jones and the Isle of Epstein

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah, this rings a bell, the woman he had a history with and rescues / helps rescue from the nazis implied that he had been romantically involved with her when she was underage

googled it, and here's what some wiki says:

definitely a creep

*Indiana fiddling with the dial, putting it on 16 with a sick smile on his face*

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

Look, I think we've all been on the internet here long enough to know exactly how the nazi's returned.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

This is going to be one of those films people watch for nostalgia and the end go "well it was watchable, but why was it made?" To eachother.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

fairly believable

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

dr_rat posted:

Look, I think we've all been on the internet here long enough to know exactly how the nazi's returned.

I would watch 80 year old Indy punch Proud Boys

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If you've got a hateboner and want to read something hilariously scathing Walter Chaw's got you covered. Honestly he sounds like he's overreacting even just going by his own descriptions but that's part of what makes it a fun read:
https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2023/06/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny.html

There's no way this movie is very good, but this dude's reviews are loving wild. Like in his 3 star review of M3GAN, the movie about a killer robot doll:

Walter Chaw posted:

Which brings us to the question M3GAN refuses to confront. If you make a little blonde doll that looks like a 12-year-old Fiona Gubelmann, you're opening an entire hornet's nest of uncomfortable issues that would be fascinating to address. What happens when unfettered tech capitalism collides with pedophilia? I mean, the Replicants in Blade Runner are soldiers, teachers...and prostitutes. Even Spielberg's A.I. recognizes that great leaps in technology are historically tied to warfare and rutting.

Or his 2 1/2 star review of The Munsters.

Walter Chaw posted:

There's a scene in The Munsters where Lily goes to see Herman perform with his band at a club. She sits by herself near the back and Herman puts on an incredible show: uninhibited, rocking, electric (to borrow one of the show's favourite gags, calling back to Herman's laboratory birth). The exuberance of it, the innocence of the next scene when Lily asks for a date and Herman tries, unsuccessfully, to play it cool--all of that is about to be doused by the reality of their marriage being mocked and assaulted in America. They are immigrants in the TV show, shunned, feared, constantly Othered, and yet resolutely moral and fair, even good-natured and happy, in the face of everything. But it's got to cut and, on occasion, it does. The film is before all that, when everything is still hopeful and possible for them; the series is the story of their coming back to earth. Should Zombie get a sequel to The Munsters, it could potentially be as devastating as his Halloween II or The Devil's Rejects--these follow-ups where innocence mellows into noxious experience.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm gonna see it and hopefully it's fun. :thanks:

:same:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's less embarrassing than Ghostbusters:Afterlife, and less needy than The Force Awakens, but probably not as good. I was entertained and rarely angry at it, but I doubt I'll remember it by tomorrow.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

If a movie was made after 2006 then there's a 91% probability I will not ever watch it. For 15+ -year sequels that probability rises to 99%.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dynastocles posted:

If a movie was made after 2006 then there's a 91% probability I will not ever watch it. For 15+ -year sequels that probability rises to 99%.

badass

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not some loving PLEBIAN who consumes mass media :smuggo:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
goons have a proud history of being media illiterate the fact that they know names of stuff now is progress

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Honestly I think Indiana Jones has always been a bit poo poo. Raiders isn’t awful but Temple of Doom is absolutely laborious.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I liked The Fate of Atlantis :)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I still haven't seen any Indiana Jones films and tbh the advice on which of the originals to watch is so confusing. I've heard that there is one of the originals to be avoided at all costs but which one that is changes every time. I guess I'll just do my own watch order as follows:

RLM review of temple of doom
Fate of Atlantis
🔮 💀
Fleabag (again)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

There's no way this movie is very good, but this dude's reviews are loving wild. Like in his 3 star review of M3GAN, the movie about a killer robot doll:

Or his 2 1/2 star review of The Munsters.

dude definitely posts here lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Lampsacus posted:

I still haven't seen any Indiana Jones films and tbh the advice on which of the originals to watch is so confusing. I've heard that there is one of the originals to be avoided at all costs but which one that is changes every time. I guess I'll just do my own watch order as follows:

RLM review of temple of doom
Fate of Atlantis
🔮 💀
Fleabag (again)

All three of the original ones are worth watching at least once. The first one is the best one, the second and third are both tonally different. Temple of doom is way more violent and less goofy, last crusade is more cartoonish and silly.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I guess that was a shitpost but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Temple of Doom is uh, not good