Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Temple of Doom gets worse each time I watch it. On my last series revisit I downgraded it from 'bad' to 'sucks poo poo'. Shoddily paced, poorly acted, racist garbage. It's worse than Crystal Skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

fishing with the fam posted:

Temple of Doom gets worse each time I watch it. On my last series revisit I downgraded it from 'bad' to 'sucks poo poo'. Shoddily paced, poorly acted, racist garbage. It's worse than Crystal Skull.

Hey it tried to warn you! It wasn't called The Temple of Well Written Entertaining Things

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

A Doom Temple??

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I cannot and will not stand by while someone calls temple of doom worse then crystal skull.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Temple of LOL Indian Food Amirite

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Saalkin posted:

I cannot and will not stand by while someone calls temple of doom worse then crystal skull.

Temple's the worst of the OGs, but it's like saying Return of the Jedi is worse than any of the prequels or sequels. It sucks compared to Empire, but lets not go nuts.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Temple of Doom is great but not perfect.

+ Short Round
+ Jungle
+ Evil cult
+ Classic Indy images (shirtless w/ whip and saber)
+ Kickass opening sequence

- Kate Capshaw
- Gratuitous gross-out stuff with the bugs and snakes
- Brownface — but not "that much" for the 80s, actually. At least they had actual Indian actors portray the main roles.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Short Round actually sucks rear end

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

And to be fair to it, the film doesn't say that "Indians eat bugs" or "Indians are evil" — it's specifically these guys that are doing that stuff, these guys that are evil. Kali, actual Hindu goddess revered by millions, isn't even said to be bad — Lt. Blumbert says "the Thuggee were an abomination that worshipped Kali with human sacrifice."

Meanwhile the Maharaja kid turns out to be good, just brainwashed. The Indian villagers are decent, hardworking people who love their children.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Peggy Edson posted:

Wrong. Every little boy wants to be Short Round.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Peggy Edson posted:

He had a backwards baseball cap! How can anyone that cool possibly be bad!!!!

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Just tired of everyone being so wrong!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I loved last crusade when I was a kid but it’s arguably too goofy for me to take as a grown up. Really raiders is an almost perfect movie (if you are willing to overlook the grossness w Marion) and the sequels are not necessary

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Dynastocles posted:

And to be fair to it, the film doesn't say that "Indians eat bugs" or "Indians are evil" — it's specifically these guys that are doing that stuff, these guys that are evil. Kali, actual Hindu goddess revered by millions, isn't even said to be bad — Lt. Blumbert says "the Thuggee were an abomination that worshipped Kali with human sacrifice."

Meanwhile the Maharaja kid turns out to be good, just brainwashed. The Indian villagers are decent, hardworking people who love their children.

I know one of the Indian actors also said the dinner scene was supposed to be the Thuggee loving with Indy and company, but it doesn't come across that way in the movie. It's just "woah look at this wacky food these people eat!", which is absolutely the mindset of the average American in the 1980s.

But then you also have the loving British army coming in at the end to help everyone, like "don't worry, the white guys are here!". Plus the Thuggee are using voodoo dolls and poo poo, just a complete mishmash of stuff to make them into this spooky foreign menace for Indy to plow through.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I think the franchise would be a lot more interesting if they tried it as more of a James Bond thing where it’s not necessarily the same actor, writers room, director, etc.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Crusade is certainly goofy, but god drat if watching Ford and Connery together isn't endlessly entertaining.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Part time

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
IIRC Lucas was heavily involved with Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull

Raiders remains one of the best action films ever made :colbert:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Indy's clearly uncomfortable with his young students flirting with him in class; maybe he's grown a little since porkin' underage Marion

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

fishing with the fam posted:

Crusade is certainly goofy, but god drat if watching Ford and Connery together isn't endlessly entertaining.

I think the comedy all works, too. Like they make Marcus Brody a lot dumber BUT the joke of Indy saying he could blend in to any society, then cutting to him wandering around utterly befuddled is incredible.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Well I'm a sucker rear end sucker regardless, so I just bought tickets to this movie for tonight. Gonna watch an old man limply punch nazis and cheer.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
There's no way a white academic who spends his time in the developing world or war zones has any sexual proclivities, come on.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Its kinda weird how Indy just showed up with a little Asian boy and was like “oh hes just my friend” and everyone else was like “yeah sure thats normal”

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Chrs posted:

Its kinda weird how Indy just showed up with a little Asian boy and was like “oh hes just my friend” and everyone else was like “yeah sure thats normal”

getting shades of the Mulaney bit about Back to the Future with the "hey this high school kid is friends with a disgraced nuclear physicist but we're just gonna roll with it, it's the eighties"

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Is it bad to befriend Asian kids and failed scientists? Because those demographics constitute my entire social circle.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Is it bad to befriend Asian kids and failed scientists? Because those demographics constitute my entire social circle.

another SICK FREAK wiggles out of the woodwork

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Yes, but only because that suggests an interest in STEM.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If you don't like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, there's always Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The Indiana Jones series as well as the state of Indiana may be full of many unsavory things, but I can't stand for this:

Smugworth posted:

Indiana blows and so does their chili spaghetti
I'll take one of those big rear end pork schnitzels tho

I'll claim the pork tenderloin, but those steaming, cinnamon-filled plates of poo poo on spaghetti is all Cincinnati, Ohio.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Vakal posted:

If you don't like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, there's always Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold.

Woah i never heard about this

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

Woah i never heard about this
I remember it being a really great, if slightly cheap adventure film! Last time I saw it was three decades ago though so um take that with a grain of salt.
Just looking at the poster I'm going to guess it's super racists.

Edit: found a trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4xsKHBx8c
lol, yep it's a cannon indy rip off.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 29, 2023

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

I know one of the Indian actors also said the dinner scene was supposed to be the Thuggee loving with Indy and company, but it doesn't come across that way in the movie. It's just "woah look at this wacky food these people eat!", which is absolutely the mindset of the average American in the 1980s.

Point taken.

A Fancy Hat posted:

But then you also have the loving British army coming in at the end to help everyone, like "don't worry, the white guys are here!"

To be fair, in 1930s India the army literally was the British army, and the soldiers in the film are all turbaned Indians [commanded by a white guy — yeah]

A Fancy Hat posted:

Plus the Thuggee are using voodoo dolls and poo poo, just a complete mishmash of stuff to make them into this spooky foreign menace for Indy to plow through.

Ok true. But also they were explicitly an evil cult who all the other Indian people in the film were fearful of and hated.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's a lot like this OP. Except many years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmY2yb_84kw

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Vakal posted:

Truly the low point in James Earl Jones' career.

I watched this all the time as a kid, but all I now remember are rubber bats on visible strings and evil high priest Henry Silva babbling in a made-up language and dipping black people into liquid gold.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The 1999 Mummy is the best Indiana Jones fanfic movie :colbert:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Chrs posted:

According to RLM Lucas originally wanted that character to be an underaged princess or something so ehh better than that option.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

According to RLM Lucas originally wanted that character to be an underaged princess or something so ehh better than that option.

"You can't have an under age princess in this movie, George"

"In THIS movie, got it."

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

lucas: i think Indy's defining character trait should be that he's always ending up having hilarious sexual "affairs" with children. Like, that's his calling card, you know?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

https://www.applebees.com/en/specials/free-movie-tickets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They really missed a beat not casting lucas as the creepy villain sidekicks in one of the indy films.