Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

obama ate a dog and hell americans love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BrotherJayne posted:

The Onion was badly outflanked by reality somewhere around 2016, and never recovered
yeah onion can now do some good headlines when they just report the news other outlets won't lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lobster shirt posted:

he is a trans prostitute who smokes crack in limos with his johns and michelle is trans too just look at her arms

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yup

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

lobster shirt posted:

He was a real glizzy gulper.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he is a trans prostitute who smokes crack in limos with his johns and michelle is trans too just look at her arms
Stop trying to make Obama cool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he is a trans prostitute who smokes crack in limos with his johns and michelle is trans too just look at her arms (laudatory)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
all respect to the first t4t presidency

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

In my book "Trust Me with Your Dogs," I outline how I just loving kill the poo poo out of everything on my farm. Especially dogs.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/thechosenberg/status/1784296686522618353
lol

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

so was it bitter?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well, what happened

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Inspector Hound posted:

Well, what happened

The national post got a lot of clicks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Well, what happened

Iirc he was fine

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Obama is too short to be trans

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Crazypoops posted:

so was it bitter?

probably added a little too much irony to it

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It also gave us this great tweet.

https://x.com/nickmmark/status/1708548368241484251

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Inspector Hound posted:

Well, what happened

A man thought it was a good idea to take a 'sip' of his friend's assisted suicide cocktail

nationalpost.com posted:

After his terminally ill friend described the preparation as bitter, 'this patient ingested an unknown-sized ‘sip’ of the preparation.

The case had toxicologists sitting up.

At the North American Clinical Congress on Toxicology annual conference in Montreal over the weekend, a case study was presented involving a 37-year-old man from Denver who survived after swallowing a “sip” of a cocktail of assisted suicide drugs during an end-of-life celebration for a friend dying of pancreatic cancer.

“The patient’s friend was prescribed a Medical Aid in Dying (MAID) preparation as part of a physician-assisted suicide program,” read a slide from the case study tweeted out Sunday.

“After the patient’s friend consumed part of the preparation and described it as bitter, this patient ingested an unknown-sized ‘sip’ of the preparation,” which included lethal doses of drugs to cause the person ending their life to lose consciousness and stop the heart.

According to those attending the discussion on the management of medical emergencies, the 37-year-old man, who had a history of anxiety, attention deficit disorder and chronic pain, made a full recovery over a few days, from what was reported at the toxicology conference.

The American Academy of Clinical Toxicology, the conference host, did not respond to a request for more information about the case or the presenter before deadline.

Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

But it had uncanny similarities with a case published last year involving a 35-year-old Colorado man who survived after taking a sip of a MAID cocktail. His older friend had invited loved ones to be present while he consumed the MAID preparation, according to the report.

“After his first swallow, he remarked, ‘Man that burns!’ The younger man, said, ‘Let me see,’ and then also took a swallow,” the report said.

“The attending paramedic directs rescuers to begin ventilating the younger man while requesting evidence of advance directives for the older man,” the report continued.

“Care was not rendered to the death with dignity patient” because he had a valid medical form stating he wanted no lifesaving measures performed on him.

The younger man was treated for “massive polypharmacy ingestion.”

“As patients who have an ingestion of MAID medication intend to die, resuscitation of such individuals is very rare,” the authors wrote. The man was ventilated and regained consciousness “with full neurologic recovery” after a two-day stay in intensive care.

“Accidental ingestion (of a MAID cocktail) should be rare and to our knowledge has never been reported,” the team wrote. “As was the case in this call, the individual drug components that comprise the MAID medication are intentionally at high doses to ensure death.”

Many expressed shock at the concentrations of drugs used in the assisted suicide cocktail described at the weekend toxicology conference.

“My chin is on the floor looking at that list,” one nurse tweeted. “I’m stunned that anyone could survive that ‘sip.’”

“Was the attending physician out back having a spliff and a beer,” another tweeted. “Or are these self-supervised events? Not even a pamphlet telling them not to share their lethal dope with their mates?”

“If this is true, it’s highly irresponsible of the medical professional in attendance to allow a random guest to touch the drugs,” another person said. “Seems very suspicious to me!”

Colorado, like several other U.S. states, allows MAID by the oral route only, through a prescription the qualified terminally ill patient fills and administers themselves or with family, to end his or her own life.

A doctor may be present but must not be involved in the delivery of the medication.

In Canada, oral MAID is rarely used. Intravenous MAID, death by doctor-administered lethal injection, is the primary mode of assisted dying provision in Canada. Of 10,064 MAID deaths reported in 2021, fewer than seven involved the oral route.

The oral protocol, which isn’t legal in Quebec, is not popular for several reasons. Among them are higher rates of complications, longer, drawn-out deaths and a higher failure rate.

High-dose barbiturates are the drugs most often used, compounded into a sweet liquid formulation that needs to be swallowed within a certain number of minutes so that it reaches peak levels.

If people have trouble swallowing because of gut problems caused by disease, if they regurgitate, it can mean incomplete doses that fail to kill.

Death can be prolonged. Most provinces require that a doctor or nurse practitioner be present with an IV back-up kit in case death doesn’t occur “within an agreed upon time.”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
the patient had adhd so hard he forgot about the poison in the friend's deathtail

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

quote:

“After his first swallow, he remarked, ‘Man that burns!’ The younger man, said, ‘Let me see,’ and then also took a swallow,” the report said.
:lol:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

guy got hosed up super quick, even though he did survive I don't think I'd do it myself

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

guy got hosed up super quick, even though he did survive I don't think I'd do it myself
don't tell me this isn't tempting

quote:

A bystander hands a medicine bottle to the attending paramedic frantically saying, “They drank this! They drank this!” The bottle contains digoxin 100 mg, diazepam 1,000 mg, morphine 15,000 mg, amitriptyline 8,000 mg and phenobarbital 5,000 mg. She remarks that the older man “should be dead” and the younger one “should be alive.”

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
10k maid death per year seems like a lot

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mola Yam posted:

10k maid death per year seems like a lot

It's a dangerous job.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

don't tell me this isn't tempting

wtf is the digoxin for, the rest sounds great

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
id stick the tip of my tongue in it. I’d be fine.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well, googling "oral maid" is bringing me a lot of interesting results,

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

https://x.com/caitlin_mmm/status/1708662056545587576
As there have been cases of individuals surviving MAID, 3 two additional medications are in the Colorado cocktail that are designed to lead to a lethal heart arrhythmia. Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant and in high doses disrupts cardiac function through sodium and potassium channel blockade in myocardial cells. Digoxin increases intracellular calcium and in high doses can lead to ventricular tachycardia.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cant they just give you a shitload of morphine or something, this seems unnecessarily complicated

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Common side effects include breast enlargement with other side effects generally due to an excessive dose.[4][6] These side effects may include loss of appetite, nausea, trouble seeing, confusion, and an irregular heartbeat.

it's for titties

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

there's 15g of morphine in it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

imagine attending the rager that is your buddy's celebration of life and waking up with the best hangover you've ever had in 2-3 days

gotta shoot him a text to let him know we gotta do that again

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

lobster shirt posted:

cant they just give you a shitload of morphine or something, this seems unnecessarily complicated

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

amazing

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Absolute banger

Cerebral Bore