Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I read this as a device that will navigate to one location then it's disposed of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i like this guy because all he posts are concepts for devices that re-segregate all the features that have been combined into a single device back into their own devices

"what if the iOS calculator was a standalone device?"

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
What if I could fart into my own rear end?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i like this guy because all he posts are concepts for devices that re-segregate all the features that have been combined into a single device back into their own devices

what if making calls was a standalone device?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ClassActionFursuit posted:

I read this as a device that will navigate to one location then it's disposed of.

it means it does the map function and nothing else. so basically a phone but worse

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

it means it does the map function and nothing else. so basically a phone but worse

actually nothing like a phone. like a map.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

ive got a standalone device that tells the time!

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
What if my phone also raped me?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

this is going to sound incredibly boomer but I was just thinking the other day about how the prevalence of GPS navigation has really disincentivized the average person from learning how a map works and how to be able to establish directions relative to it and to cardinal directions

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is going to sound incredibly boomer but I was just thinking the other day about how the prevalence of GPS navigation has really disincentivized the average person from learning how a map works and how to be able to establish directions relative to it and to cardinal directions

oh absolutely, i was just thinking recently about how I basically don't need to know any street names or what intersects with what at all, except for when my phone runs out of battery, and then i am completely hosed

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Read an article about first nations tribes in the north having an issue where everyone especially the youth started using gps and driving snowmobiles in a straight line because it's easy and that pretty directly led to a spike in deaths because they stopped reading the terrain to find sinkholes and other perils in the snow so now they are trying to figure out ways to have both

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I used to deliver pizzas in 2012 when I was the only one without a smartphone and the other drivers were helpless without them

today like 90% of people I talk to when it comes up really struggle to figure out which direction they're facing

since I've gotten a smartphone my ability to memorize streets has been diminished for sure

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I remember reading this article a while back about London cab drivers having to undergo extremely rigorous tests about their knowledge of the streets, right down to being able to identify a specific pub from as vague instructions as "the door had two gargoyles on it"

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

gradenko_2000 posted:

It doesn't help that by default apps show map orientation relative to vehicle rather than cardinal directions. Like it's actively unteaching sense of direction

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

nice obelisk idiot posted:

It doesn't help that by default apps show map orientation relative to vehicle rather than cardinal directions. Like it's actively unteaching sense of direction

drat that's a very good point i hadn't even considered lol

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

KORNOLOGY posted:

What if I could fart into my own rear end?

comere and ill show ya

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

oh absolutely, i was just thinking recently about how I basically don't need to know any street names or what intersects with what at all, except for when my phone runs out of battery, and then i am completely hosed

well quit being so reliant then and develop yr skills

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

well quit being so reliant then and develop yr skills

how bout you shut up

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

phones have maps now old maaaaaaaaan

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://x.com/worsematt/status/1779868763720167896

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

oh you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Kinda like how lighters untaught kids about fire making. I.e. who cares

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

i say swears online posted:

I used to deliver pizzas in 2012 when I was the only one without a smartphone and the other drivers were helpless without them

today like 90% of people I talk to when it comes up really struggle to figure out which direction they're facing

since I've gotten a smartphone my ability to memorize streets has been diminished for sure

If someone dropped me off one block from my home I would sit down right there and die of starvation

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

thanks Ahti

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Goons posting their Ls, I grew up with GPS, have a great sense of direction, and know all the big streets near me. The secret is not owning a car and taking public transit :smug:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

gradenko_2000 posted:

My partner uses the Maps feature that reorients the map, so that up is always the directing you're facing instead of north, and it drives me insane.

e: beaten

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Edmund Sparkler posted:

My partner uses the Maps feature that reorients the map, so that up is always the directing you're facing instead of north, and it drives me insane.

It is useful when you're in a really windy area

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
the real navigation pros always keep their phone pointed north anyways

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Inspector Hound posted:

If someone dropped me off one block from my home I would sit down right there and die of starvation

i would walk the rest of the way to my house and then fire up a fun and entertaining video game

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Jay Rust posted:

Kinda like how lighters untaught kids about fire making. I.e. who cares
you're right that it isn't the biggest deal, but it's good to exercise spatial skills like that imo. or at least to grow up being able to do stuff like that. it's relevant to a lot of work and non-work stuff. like sewing often uses some of the same brain stuff as interpreting maps and directions.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Goons rapidly approaching the old man yelling at cloud age, without me I'm pretty sure the average age goes up to 70 now

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Goons rapidly approaching the old man yelling at cloud age, without me I'm pretty sure the average age goes up to 70 now

you are also old now

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

i was born old. 1000% on board with grandma's house poo poo right out the gate

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its easy to use gps without destroying your sense of direction, input your route ahead of time, gaze upon it and consider, and then drive the route without consulting the gps again. it forces you to remember where you're going and what streets are where, very powerful brain ability.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

its easy to use gps without destroying your sense of direction, input your route ahead of time, gaze upon it and consider, and then drive the route without consulting the gps again. it forces you to remember where you're going and what streets are where, very powerful brain ability.

this is not using a Global Positioning System, but looking at a Map.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lobster shirt posted:

Printing out my mapquest directions and then having to pull over to recheck them.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

tokin opposition posted:

to your point, i think it becomes more common to think about that stuff once you hit 30s, and the fact that your brain is slowly turning into mush becomes more palpable. so being young and being able to learn poo poo really quickly and deeply is more valuable in hindsight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember reading this article a while back about London cab drivers having to undergo extremely rigorous tests about their knowledge of the streets, right down to being able to identify a specific pub from as vague instructions as "the door had two gargoyles on it"

Here it is, it's a really good article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/t-magazine/london-taxi-test-knowledge.html