Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

biosterous posted:

thread goal imo

That's just me typing :v: at everyone in the thread without actually using an emoticon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Into the Unknown 1-1

The lance traveled at the pace of its slowest member—Grandpa Hoplite ran flat-out while Ironhead’s Sentinel and Prodigal’s Mongoose casually jogged or even merely walked. Keeping formation with BattleMechs of different speeds wasn’t a task members of the Star League Defense Force were really accustomed to; but they made good time even if Prodigal had to reign-in Ironhead a time or two.

Each footstep kicked up a cloud of red-orange dust, and the local mesas were so iron-dense they bounced magnetic resonance imaging. It was the perfect environment to hide from a sensor sweep. The pirates must have just gotten unlucky. Theo didn’t know the precise circumstances under which they’d been spotted but pirates were always the same. They’d probably gotten lazy and hadn’t properly draped their ‘Mechs in camo.

Prodigal was the first to break radio silence. “Half a kilometer out—we’ve gotta be on their sensors now. Weapons live, go in hot. You do not have to wait until fired upon. If it’s not in our lance, consider it hostile.” She paused for just a moment. “I wouldn’t mind a prisoner; but no risks. Just no shooting parachutes—we’re not fighting Kuritans.”

After another moment, Prodigal appended, “Probably.”

[n/a]

Movement Phase
[N/A]

Shooting Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- N/A

Sentinel (Player)
- N/A

Blackjack (Player)
- N/A

Hoplite (Player)
- N/A

Unknown Mech #1
- N/A

Unknown Mech #2
- N/A

Unknown Mech #3
- N/A

Unknown Vehicle #1
- N/A

Unknown Vehicle #2
- N/A

Melee Phase
[N/A]

Heat Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 10!

Blackjack (Player)
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 18!

Hoplite (Player)
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 16!

Unknown Mech #1
- Gains 0 heat, sinks ??!

Unknown Mech #2

Unknown Mech #3

End Phase
[N/A]

Map Link

Objectives
Primary Objective
- Defeat or Drive Off All Enemies (0/3 BattleMechs, 0/2 Vehicles)
OR
- Destroy All Shelters (0/4 Shelters)

Player Status:

Ally Status:
n/a

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Going In Blind - Enemy units that are not in Line of Sight appear as blip markers, obscuring their facing. Their facing is still being tracked.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 3, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

hello team. i'm in the blackjack

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm driving one of Defiance Industries' worst products, wheeee!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

If anything that feels like a cruel jest by PTN.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

*chuckles AC/5ishly*

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm driving one of Defiance Industries' worst products, wheeee!

Per your request :haw:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

My mech has so many heat sinks! Don't imagine I'll get behind much at 5/8/0 sadly

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Per your request :haw:

Yeah, it was definitely my joke. I've got strong branding and do not wish to waste it.

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012
Is speculation on enemy units allowed, or should we keep that to ourselves?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Perfectly allowed. There aren't that many choices and a lot of the 'Mechs around at the moment are Ubiquitous and will insta-reveal anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

1315 seems like good defensive terrain to post up at, I'm gonna make my way over and rattle some rounds through my autocannon at the first thing that crosses my path.

re: enemy units, the last two are pretty intriguing. We got a prototype Panther and also a special Whitworth that was only for the Amaris Dragoons for use "as a terror weapon." Only 24 of them were ever built. Definitely running into an Island of Misfit Toys here. Wonder if the third guy is a similarly odd duck.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 3, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mongoose reporting in. No pressure, I'm only carrying the survival of House Cameron on my shoulders :sweatdrop:

55-tonner looks like a humble WVR-6R based on that weapon loadout. Nothing special, but it's an elusive bugger, especially considering our complete lack of jump jets. Could be a pain in the rear end if it gets up onto those cliffs.

E: Thinking of sprinting up to 0312 and getting cozy behind that hill and forest, which should also give us eyes on the enemy.

E2: Oh right, ER large. Might take a potshot while I'm at it!

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 3, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hoplite posting in, given that I'm slow as hell I'm going to head forward aggressively, up the left side I think.

Planning on moving to 518 then facing north and holding down the throttle on the following turns. I have excellent gunnery so I should be able to start lighting up when's with the lbx10 quickly.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 3, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Orders submitted! Let's give these chumps a rude awakening. Going to run to 0312 and take a laser shot at the 55-tonner.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 3, 2023

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Alternate here. Good luck everyone!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Defiance Industries posted:

1315 seems like good defensive terrain to post up at, I'm gonna make my way over and rattle some rounds through my autocannon at the first thing that crosses my path.

re: enemy units, the last two are pretty intriguing. We got a prototype Panther and also a special Whitworth that was only for the Amaris Dragoons for use "as a terror weapon." Only 24 of them were ever built. Definitely running into an Island of Misfit Toys here. Wonder if the third guy is a similarly odd duck.

I was looking too, and I came up with a WTH-1S. Out of curiosity, what makes you think -0? Wouldn't the flamer show up in the statblock, or is it classed as a "laser" until it's nailed down?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The shooty bit should look different enough from a laser, but then again everyone would hood and cowl their lasers to avoid getting the lens scratched by random things, and of course PPCs are their own thing that probably looks a lot like a laser or a gun, and missile launchers might fire several salvos quickly out of a limited number of tubes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Anyway if it isn't already obvious to everyone I think the vehicles are a bog-standard Galleon and a SRM-variant Heavy Tracked APC. You might end up with a platoon of infantry on the field at some point.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If it is a WTH-1S, and I don't see what else it could be, it's missing two heat sinks. Typo on the info card?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bloody Pom posted:

If it is a WTH-1S, and I don't see what else it could be, it's missing two heat sinks. Typo on the info card?

It very well might be - I wasn't looking at the heat sinks. How does that get calculated for the card?

E: looks like it's just "heat dissipated = # of single heat sinks". Simple as.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It very well might be - I wasn't looking at the heat sinks. How does that get calculated for the card?

'Heat Dissipation' under the pilot stats.

Come to think of it, the "Wolverine" and "Panther" are running non-standard sink counts too, which makes me think these are field refits of some kind. Unlike weapons, armor and sinks are pretty trivial to swap out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

Typo on the info card?

Intentional obfuscation until someone makes a positive ID.

Most everynumeric value (except movement and structure since that's tonnage-based) will randomize slightly to add just a little doubt about how close you are to an armor penetration.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 3, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the 35-ton mech is just labeled "mech" instead of "battlemech" so it's definitely a pre-production powerman that pirates strapped some guns to

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I think I'd love a battletech where aftermarket rednecking of your mechs wasn't hard, but encouraged and supported (lore and ruleswise).

Medium laser broke? Go nuts with dumb attachments.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Anyway if it isn't already obvious to everyone I think the vehicles are a bog-standard Galleon and a SRM-variant Heavy Tracked APC. You might end up with a platoon of infantry on the field at some point.

I feel deeply sorry for any infantry unfortunate enough to stumble into range of the Blackjack 1X's four Flamers. :supaburn:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Scintilla posted:

I feel deeply sorry for any infantry unfortunate enough to stumble into range of the Blackjack 1X's four Flamers. :supaburn:

Having just caught up on your thread, I wholeheartedly agree. And that was just machine guns :stonk:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Think I'll go to 0615 as that gives me some options for cover next turn. Is it better to go there or to try and follow the sentinel so we split 2-2?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Scintilla posted:

tex posted:

It's a lot harder to resist your lawful oppressors when you're on fire

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Not quite fast enough to make it to the prime cover this turn, I'm gonna swing out to the side and take a potshot at 1.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

going to run to 0615 and be ready to push up towards 0612/0412 next turn maybe

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Just be careful not to get too strung out. All the enemy mechs have jump jets and none of yours do. Even though you always win initiative, don't let their mobility surprise you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Into the Unknown 1-2

Prodigal brought her Mongoose around the side of one of the local rock mesas to get a clear view of the pirates. A pair of ‘Mechs sported a rusty red camouflage that would’ve blended reasonably well with the local rocks—but was a touch to bright. They’d either recently seen service elsewhere or had been painted in anticipation of a raid. The third ‘Mech nearly made her hold fire—nearly—but after a moment she depressed her primary target interlock circuit with her thumb and speared the nearest ‘Mech with a shot from her ER Large Laser.

“That’s a very convincing fake,” Grandpa Key broadcast as she snapped a few quick images and sent them out to the rest of the lance for help with identification. “The green isn’t quite drab enough, but the markings are mostly in the right places. See how that blast damage on the left side and left leg obscures an actual unit markings? Someone’s going to an awful lot of trouble to impersonate the SLDF.”

“I don’t get it,” Ironhead grumbled as she sent a single shell downrange. Her shot missed the Wolverine that Prodigal had tagged earlier, but not by much. “You could probably convince periphery yokels that you were the SLDF by spray-painting ‘SLDF’ on your ‘Mech in five meter letters. I’m more concerned about this damned Wolverine. What’s House Kurita doing out here?”

“Pirates or runaways, probably.” Grandpa assessed calmly. “Just because Minoru Kurita can order his worst soldiers to kill themselves doesn’t mean they all actually go through with it. You’re all new to this, but this isn’t my first rodeo. There’re only two kinds of pirates out here: Kuritan ex-military, and Davion spies.”

“So, which are these?” Prodigal asked.

Grandpa’s response was a slightly delayed, “No idea.”

Prodigal kept focused. “Then does anyone have a moment to check the Janes IDs? I wouldn’t mind knowing what we’re fighting.”

Movement Phase
[N/A]

Shooting Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Wolverine (4 gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, deals 8 damage to Right Torso!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Ultra Autocannon/5 at Wolverine (4 gunnery + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 7, missed!

Blackjack (Player)
- Holds fire!

Hoplite (Player)
- Holds fire!

Wolverine
- Fires Autocannon at Sentinel (4 gunnery + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 6, missed!

Unknown Mech #2
- N/A

Unknown Mech #3
- N/A

Unknown Vehicle #1
- N/A

Unknown Vehicle #2
- N/A

Melee Phase
[N/A]

Heat Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 10!

Blackjack (Player)
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 18!

Hoplite (Player)
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 16!

Wolverine
- Gains 1 heat, sinks ??!

Unknown Mech #2

Unknown Mech #3

End Phase
[N/A]

Map Link

Objectives
Primary Objective
- Defeat or Drive Off All Enemies (0/3 BattleMechs, 0/2 Vehicles)
OR
- Destroy All Shelters (0/4 Shelters)

Player Status:

Ally Status:
n/a

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Going In Blind - Enemy units that are not in Line of Sight appear as blip markers, obscuring their facing. Their facing is still being tracked.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 4, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

A bunch of red and green units? Are we fighting Zeon?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There does exist a Panther that is 300% 20% faster than other Panthers.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The urge to be aggressive is strong, but I also don't want to overextend until the rest of the lance is in range, and at the moment I can't get any good flanking shots.

Thinking of ducking behind the cliffs and linking up with the Sentinel.

Edit: Order submitted, moving to 1215.

On the topic of potential future events, I'm not sure what would be the funnier outcome if Prodigal survives: Kramering our way into the middle of the Amaris Civil War, or continuing to bum around near the Jarnfolk for the next two decades and eventually stumbling across Kerensky's fleet. If we continue to head spinward from our current location we'd intersect the Exodus Road.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 4, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If you're going to do that I might go back to 0814. Don't think I'm mobile enough to go back and forth too much

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Hey PTN, what's the CF of the shelters?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think I'm going to run straight forward 6 hexes, that keeps me at long range from the srms on the mech in the forest. I think shooting at the panther is my best shot on 8s for this turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

Hey PTN, what's the CF of the shelters?

Buildings are displayed as [Construction Factor][Height] so they're Light and Height 1