Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Buildings are displayed as [Construction Factor][Height] so they're Light and Height 1

Cool, then it shouldn't be too hard to bring them down if the players opt to destroy them. The OpFor looks pretty manageable, but this is Battletech after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm having to rewire my brain so that I don't get myself killed. Looking back at my previous thread participation, I've only ever been given control of heavyweight brawlers (and a deathtrap of a laser tank). Piloting a light Mech is going to take some getting used to.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Always have a plan to run to cover next turn, that's my advice.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

maximize your movement mod at the expense of getting good shots yourself

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Captain Foo posted:

maximize your movement mod at the expense of getting good shots yourself

Maximize the number of units other than your target that can't see you first, imo. TMM +3 and you're only in LOS of one unit that has better friendlies to target > TMM +4 but everything can see you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Strobe posted:

Maximize the number of units other than your target that can't see you first, imo. TMM +3 and you're only in LOS of one unit that has better friendlies to target > TMM +4 but everything can see you.

this is also pretty good

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You are also, in the grand scheme of things, more likely to get a back shot on the enemy if you can zip around. Taking a turn off to cool off and maneuver to force the enemy to face you at short range, and leave their backs open to your friends, or visa versa is a potential option.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Man this machine would be a WHOLE LOT better if it traded the two completely superfluous heatsinks for 4 jumpjets!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

For some reason every hoplite except the clanner and ppc variants are comically oversinked. the stock version of this one has the same number of sinks and generates a whole 6 heat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

Man this machine would be a WHOLE LOT better if it traded the two completely superfluous heatsinks for 4 jumpjets!

It's already been made a whole lot better by trading an LRM-10 for three medium lasers. Even if I had to do the SLDF thing by mounting one of them backwards.

'Mech choice in this era is surprisingly limited. Of course, you could always try to salvage the Wolverine...

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I mean, isn't the point of being further back in time, that you get fancy tech, but you get outdated designs?
Otherwise playing in the more standard timelines would be an exercise in frustration.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's ok I can just plan on taking two engine hits and still running heat neutral, truly reliable mech design.

e: To be clear a nice workhorse toting an LBX10 is still a very nice mech imo. Were I navel gazing on mech design for this particular unit, I'd aim for swapping to endo-steel, 5/8/5 movement profile, and dropping the sinks to 10 so you'd need to make a choice between staying heat neutral or jumping + alpha striking. Endosteel is a very small cost difference compared to something like an XL engine, so you still get a pretty affordable 5.1m cbill tanky medium mech.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 5, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gwaihir posted:

It's ok I can just plan on taking two engine hits and still running heat neutral, truly reliable mech design.

:shuckyes:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Scintilla posted:

I feel deeply sorry for any infantry unfortunate enough to stumble into range of the Blackjack 1X's four Flamers. :supaburn:

Just remember, it's hard to resist your Lawful Authorities when you are on fire.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And here I thought the Sentinel was taking a huge risk this turn. :psyduck:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If we were playing under BMR rules it would be. 1 in 6 chance of dying because you took cover, weeeeeee!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No seriously, this turn is incredible and I've only rolled the first attack.

I thought this was going to be a fairly hard opening mission.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Into the Unknown 1-3

The Wolverine staggered as a shell from Ironhead’s autocannon glanced off its canopy, sheering through protective armor and sending a single terrible crack through the front transplex pane. Transplex was a miracle material, nearly as durable as ‘Mech armor but transparent enough to see through. It could be tinted or mirrored to protect a Mechwarrior’s vision through careful applications of electro-magnetic fields yet was still shielded enough from outside interference to be difficult for external EM radiation to disrupt. It didn’t spider-web and shatter like glass, but the instant it cracked its protection was more an illusion than actual defense.

“Y’know boss, I wouldn’t mind upgrading to a Wolverine if we manage to take this one down relatively intact. A couple of weeks with the techs and we could probably swap over the Sentinel’s autocannon, too.” As she spoke she brought the Sentinel’s left hand up to clutch the side of the Streak SRM-2. The Sentinel was rumored to have jamming problems, and Ironhead had developed her own suspicions. She put a little pressure on the side of the launcher to keep the ammo feed from skipping and fired off a couple of missiles at the Wolverine for good measure. The paired SRMs were more insulting than really injurious, but she hoped they might’ve baited the enemy Mechwarrior into doing something stupid.

One struck just about dead center, popping loose an armor plate in the perfectly insulting way Ironhead had been hoping for. The other the Wolverine nearly shot out of the air with its medium laser. The SRM spiraled out of control, flashing between the cockpit and the Wolverine’s SRM-6, and struck just as the Wolverine’s missile doors snapped open to fire its own counter-barrage. It managed to get off two missiles before the launcher detonated on its shoulder, sending its left arm spiraling away and gutting the rest of the machine with a chain of explosions.

“Ah. Well. Nevertheless.” Ironhead was more surprised than dejected by the Wolverine’s sudden demise. “I’m glad we’ve got that on the BattleROMs. Nobody will ever believe this and I think that’s at least one free beer waiting for me back on Epsilon Pegasus.”

Movement Phase
[N/A]

Shooting Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Holds fire!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Ultra Autocannon/5 [Ultra Mode] at Wolverine (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, with a cluster roll of 10: 2 shells deal 5 damage to Head and 5 damage to Left Leg!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Wolverine (4 gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, 2 missiles deal 2 damage to Left Torso [TAC!] and 2 damage to Center Torso!
Wolverine suffers a through-armor critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Rolled 1 (upper), rolled 3: SRM-6 Ammo hit!
Wolverine’s 11 remaining SRM-6 ammunition explodes, dealing 132 damage to Left Torso armor: 0 armor remaining! Left Torso structure takes the remaining 114 damage: 0 structure remaining!
- - 101 damage transfers to Center Torso armor: 0 armor remaining! Center torso structure takes the remaining 83 damage: 0 structure remaining! Wolverine destroyed!

Blackjack (Player)
- Holds fire!

Hoplite (Player)
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon [Slug] at Unknown BattleMech #3 (2 gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 10, deals 10 damage to Left Leg!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #3 (2 gunnery + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 12, deals 5 damage to Left Arm!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #3 (2 gunnery + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, deals 5 damage to Center Torso!

Wolverine
- Fires Autocannon at Sentinel (4 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 6, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Sentinel (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 6, missed!
- Fires SRM-6 at Sentinel (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 11, with a cluster roll of 4: 2 missiles deal 2 damage to Center Torso (8/10 armor remaining) and 2 damage to Right Leg (8/10 armor remaining)!

Unknown Mech #2
- Fires Medium Laser at Hoplite (4 gunnery + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 13): automatic miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Hoplite (4 gunnery + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 13): automatic miss!

Unknown Mech #3
- Fires Large Laser at Hoplite (3 gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, missed!

Unknown Vehicle #1
- Fires Medium Laser at Hoplite (5 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 13): automatic miss!

Unknown Vehicle #2
- Holds fire!

Melee Phase
[N/A]

Heat Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 10!

Blackjack (Player)
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 18!

Hoplite (Player)
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 16!

Wolverine
- Gains 9 heat, sinks ??!

Unknown Mech #2
- Gains 13 heat, sinks ??!

Unknown Mech #3
- Gains 9 heat, sinks ??!

End Phase
[N/A]

Map Link

Objectives
Primary Objective
- Defeat or Drive Off All Enemies (1/3 BattleMechs, 0/2 Vehicles)
OR
- Destroy All Shelters (0/4 Shelters)

Player Status:

Ally Status:
n/a

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Going In Blind - Enemy units that are not in Line of Sight appear as blip markers, obscuring their facing. Their facing is still being tracked.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 6, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh my God lmao, death by ammo TAC from a SINGLE SRM2

What a perfectly battletech way to kick off a new thread.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
They call it "popping the Hood"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And now I'm at a total loss and need to re-assess. I had one unit that was just flat-out tougher than everything else on the field and it just exploded.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think I'm going to back up to 313 and blast the Galleon before running up ahead, I'd rather not something that quick be able to run around behind us, and I still can hit it on 7s despite it's high defensive mods.

If my blackjack buddy wants to join me in 211, we should finish it off handily.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Your dice have been hungry for far too long I see :stare:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

PoptartsNinja posted:

And now I'm at a total loss and need to re-assess. I had one unit that was just flat-out tougher than everything else on the field and it just exploded.

one of the shelters opens up to reveal a second Wolverine that was definitely there the whole time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gwaihir posted:

Oh my God lmao, death by ammo TAC from a SINGLE SRM2

What a perfectly battletech way to kick off a new thread.

holy god drat lol :distonk:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nick Buntline posted:

one of the shelters opens up to reveal a second Wolverine that was definitely there the whole time

Turns out the remaining Mechs with srms have tandem charge ammo!!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, guess PTN's dice are still scared of me after the last time I played.

Anyway, gonna swing out alongside the right side of the map, use the hill for cover and pop another shot at whatever I get the best number on. Probably the PNT-8Z

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Oh baby that is just pure Battletech right there

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
PTN's dice remains Murderous, good to know.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I submitted my orders wrong oops -_-

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh holy hellfire! That is ridiculous, and I am all for it!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

And here I thought the Sentinel was taking a huge risk this turn. :psyduck:

PoptartsNinja posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

:sickos: This is the Battletech action I've been missing!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Objectives
Primary Objective
- Defeat or Drive Off All Enemies (0/3 BattleMechs, 0/2 Vehicles)
- Destroy All Shelters (0/4 Shelters)

Should this be 1/3 Battlemechs defeated?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:allears: I see the Sentinel achieved what I was hoping to with my opening shot.

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, guess PTN's dice are still scared of me after the last time I played.

Anyway, gonna swing out alongside the right side of the map, use the hill for cover and pop another shot at whatever I get the best number on. Probably the PNT-8Z

Sounds like a plan to me! Thinking of moving up to the woods you're currently next to and engaging the Panther.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 6, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

berryjon posted:

The objectives tab is so shocked it hasn't reacted yet, gotta leave it a little time to settle down and tally the scores.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I have to ask, how ridiculously lucky was that shot because lol.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

berryjon posted:

No. That mech wasn't defeated. It was humiliated

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

kw0134 posted:

I have to ask, how ridiculously lucky was that shot because lol.

Per the Total Warfare rulebook, a 2 on a 2D6 (1/36 chance) gets you the critical chance. Then it's 8-12 on 2d6 (15/36) to confirm a crit, then you have to hit the ammo. It's not 100% clear to me what's in this Wolverine's crit table in the left torso, but the 3025 WVR-6R has two SRM launcher slots and 1 ammo slot, so 1/3 chance of hitting the ammo. So call it 5/1296, about 0.4% chance (a little less than 1/250). Could be less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PTN also uses floating crits, so there's another 2d6 roll of 8 (13.9% chance) to pick the left torso.