Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

painedforever posted:

I like House Liao more than the Davions, is that bad?

The fluff thinks you're supposed to, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Really?

I always assumed that the Davions were the de-facto good guys.

You're only supposed to kinda-sorta like the Liaos for a couple of the later stories (Highlander Gambit and Double-Blind), but the earliest ones had them protrayed as very "Yellow Peril".

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

painedforever posted:

Y'know, I liked Kerensky. Does that make me a mark, because I'm "supposed to" because of the fluff?

Think whatever you will. The lore has enough elbow room to support all manner of conflicting Watsonian views, including on Kerensky and his actions. Battletech isn't a place where things are black and white, as much as the novel writers try.

For my part, I view him as similar to Victor Steiner-Davion: idealistic and well-meaning in a context where those are absolutely faults that will get people hurt and make things worse. I also disagree with the side that's critical of him because while powerful, he wasn't the sole actor with the agency to effect events. The five Great Houses weren't center stage for the fall of the Star League, but they made choices along the way that expedited the fall and guaranteed the bloodbath that followed. Whatever their personal feelings and their justifications, they made their choices and deserve to have the figurative and literal fallout hang over them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Capellans were Coleman and Pardoe's favorites, so ever since Coleman took over they've been portrayed mostly... well, not positively but as the most functional of the successor states?

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
16 Mechs and whaddaya get
Another state's flag and deeper in debt
Kerensky don't you call me cause I can't go
I owe my soul to digging these holes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

propatriamori posted:

16 Mechs and whaddaya get
Another state's flag and deeper in debt
Kerensky don't you call me cause I can't go
I owe my soul to digging these holes

Some people say a mech is made outta hydraulics
A mech's made outta myomer and alcoholics
Myomer, coolant, and Endo Steel,
A pilot that's desperate and lack of C-Bills

16 tons and whatdya get?
An AC/20 and some ammo for `et
Precentor don't call me, cause I can't go
My contract means I'd get there too slow

Alternate:

100 tons and whatdya get
Some AC/10s and a whole lotta regret
Commander don't call me, cause I can't go
My position's too far, Annihilator's too slow

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 27, 2024

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

This seems like the best force composition to me. Three lances of SLDF regulars gives us a full company of trustworthy pilots, all of whom will be piloting battlemechs of proven quality. AeroSpace fighters have a lot of utility and will give us the ability to call in airstrikes and bombing runs, while also being useful for threatening and/or disabling enemy DropShips. Losing access to the auxiliaries is unfortunate, but their loyalties as former pirates / mercenaries still aren't 100% assured.

I think Scintilla is right here, and the Carrier leopard is definitely interesting. I've been wanting to see a heavy aerospace game/ace combat but battletech for a bit, since its never really been shown on screen in the threads till now, and I think this is going to be what ends up getting my vote.

But, it wouldn't be a thread if I didn't make a custom janky solution thats a bit of 'both worlds'.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Some of the force comps already have an upgraded JumpShip. I didn't give it to all of them because I value the Lion and its extra spares pretty highly, because it means if you pick up a great pilot in some periphery trash 'Mech you can trade them into something good straight away.

I think you're actually right in that the Lion is the better second dropship. The fury is pretty okay, but the thing I had missed about the lion at first glance is that it has a ton of extra cargo space. That alone makes it incredibly useful as a second.

With that in mind, I think I'd like to revamp my alternate proposal:

Reinforced Liason Company.
Jumpship: any that fits
Dropships: Union, Aqueduct, Lion.
SLDF infantry + vehicle support, backing up irregular/mercenary lances.

The idea here is that its a bastard child of the Combined Arms and Jumpship interdiction: with 4 ASF bays between the union and lion(2 each) that gives almost as good fighter coverage as the dedicated leopard with a lot more ground flexibility.
Requisition: Fighter replacements for the Union and Lion. Something comparable to the leopard CV's compliment, just split.
Mercenary units do the heavy lifting, but there's plenty of extra firepower if its necessary or required.
Requisition: Royal LAM scout lance - partial reduction in spares?

Refits: Add 4-6 infantry platoons to the Lion, using its spare cargo to do so. this should be an easy refit - and the extra troops are there to keep irregulars in line too.
I'd still like to see an Royal Lam lance as our scout lance, since it makes total sense in a rapid/fast recon role, only this time basing it out of the lion's mech bays instead of the ASF bays. This means they aren't usable until its landed, but as the thread pointed out: they suck against fighters, and this way they aren't hogging actual fighter bays. For a recon lance, though, they make a ton of sense, and royal pilots mean its less likely they get randomly lost due to piloting rolls. In a scout role, they have a major asset: the ability to go faster than -anything else- on the ground, which means they can a) get where they're not supposed to be(flyovers) and b) just leave when discovered.
12 vehicle bays on the lion is actually pretty neat. Thats 3 lances of vehicles over the 2 the other options have - is there any chance we can get some Vali's?

I almost wish Vampires were in faction for the sldf, even if its in the right era. It'd be very fun to use with and some highly trained jump infantry.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I voted like the day I saw the options, which I think was 1000 years ago, but I don't want my vote for those options to imply I don't support whatever TheParadigm says.

propatriamori fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 29, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It hasn't even been a week. :(

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It hasn't even been a week. :(

Sorry PTN! I neglected to think about how that would read. I didn't mean anything about the pacing of the thread, I am very casually talking about my own broken experience of time to people who don't have the context to know I'm doing that. I'm very very sorry.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not offended, I know my update pace isn't quick. Especially since I like to let votes percolate because suggestions and vote responses give me ideas. I was expecting the Assault Company to pick up a lot more traction, so I'm quite pleased with the results so far. I promise, you'll have options to tweak the company. You just won't be cramming LAMs into AeroSpace bays (unless you absolutely have to), since that's a terrible place for them. They're much better fielded from a 'Mechbay.

I was also taking it easy this week, since my birthday was a few days ago.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Happy belated! Haven’t posted much in this thread, but looking forward to seeing where it’s going.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

propatriamori posted:

Sorry PTN! I neglected to think about how that would read. I didn't mean anything about the pacing of the thread, I am very casually talking about my own broken experience of time to people who don't have the context to know I'm doing that. I'm very very sorry.

adhd.png

(speaking from experience :heart: )

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was expecting the Assault Company to pick up a lot more traction, so I'm quite pleased with the results so far.

You buttered us up with that talk on how a scout lance can be useful and fun. How can we pick the Assault Company after that?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not offended, I know my update pace isn't quick. Especially since I like to let votes percolate because suggestions and vote responses give me ideas. I was expecting the Assault Company to pick up a lot more traction, so I'm quite pleased with the results so far. I promise, you'll have options to tweak the company. You just won't be cramming LAMs into AeroSpace bays (unless you absolutely have to), since that's a terrible place for them. They're much better fielded from a 'Mechbay.

I was also taking it easy this week, since my birthday was a few days ago.

I actually like the slower update pace! Its a nice change of pace. There's other interactive fiction and webstories with audience discussion, and one problem I've noticed is that if an author puts up a poll there's absolutely no discussion or time to have one, and then you just get kneejerk and/or bad decisions. (for bonus points, most poll options don't let players change your mind, so early voters are locked in)

But also: Happy birthday!

Also the lance types kinda reminded me of alpha strike and considering the unit types there, I'm not surprised a command lance was winning out!
Personally, I really like the battle lances, but even the command lance has those too!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Happy birthday ptn

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Farseli posted:

You buttered us up with that talk on how a scout lance can be useful and fun. How can we pick the Assault Company after that?

An assault lance would have more guns. More guns is always better.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I've gotten to do so much stompy 'Mech action that I decided to just bite the bullet and give the video game another go, but this time on my Steam Deck.

It actually runs better on it than it did on my 9-and-half-year-old RoG laptop. Stuck an external monitor, keyboard, mouse. All fab.

I love that game. I'm going to blaze through the campaign again to get back into the groove and this time try and finish the career mode.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry for being so quiet, I am hard at work but there're a lot of votes coming up and I couldn't start working on some of them before polling closed.

The pilot list will be getting an adjustment, with Mechwarrior weightclass certifications now being a thing. I'm not going to track which 'Mechs pilots are trained on, because that would be excessive even for me. General assumption is: the player Mechwarriors are determined enough to familiarize themselves with their 'Mech's controls before combat, and are willing to cross-train on other things that might be available but if a Mechwarrior gets assigned to a unit out of their comfort zone it'll give them a piloting or gunnery malus.

Being a noble from a Terran Hegemony military family, one of Syntyche's hidden starting advantages has been revealed!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I just wanted to say I've had a really great time just reading along - PTN, I forget if you're one of the goons who is already writing official Battletech fiction, but if not - you totally could!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PTN got published way before me. He did it back when the process was way more of a pain in the rear end.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If I’m reading that right, Synteche is qualified on every class of unit available? Neat

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Being a noble from a Terran Hegemony military family, one of Syntyche's hidden starting advantages has been revealed!

Oh boy here we go.

Also I sorta approve of the change. Like, hm, making Grandpa qualify on heavies sorta stops him from going into a bigger ride immediately, or with whatever his exp can buy.

I think the only thing I'd proffer is something thats been in my mind since alpha strike: Making lights and mediums the cheapest training bracket, since they're the most common unit types.(or simply rolling light an medium skills into one proficiency together)

(iirc the alpha strike game was 1/2/3/4 for l/m/h/a; and i'm suggstin 1/1/2/3 and/or 1+1/2/3, effectively bumping the fatter classes down by one as mediums hit the 'as common as lights' tier)

Out of curiosity, does piloting a small ship and/or dropship use the aerospace skill or is that a different one alltogoether?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Downtime #4B

Proposal Vote 1: Unit Composition Results

Proposal Vote 2: Unit Composition Results

Proposal Vote 3: Primary Objective Results

Fort Morro - Outpost Castle
Epsilon Pegasus - Columbus Base
Spinward Periphery
November 7th, 2763

“And I’m telling you: we need a heavy weight battle lance to carry the company.” Rampart grumbled. “We can let the mercenaries do our recon. I know you really favor high mobility, but you’re a company commander now. You really shouldn’t be leading from the recon lance.”

“I wasn’t even considering it,” Syntyche admitted—which was a touch untrue. She’d have preferred to lead a recon team from her Mongoose, but they weren’t a recon company and the odds of something going wrong were just too high. “I’ve already spoken to General Vasylenko about storing my Mongoose in the Outpost Castle. It’s family property, but he’s already assured me the technicians will take good care of it.”

She managed to keep the bitterness from her voice, “Not that it’ll need too much attention after the engine’s cold. I’m weighing all our options at the moment—the General’s approved a dispersal from the Outpost’s stock, so we’ll have our pick of BattleMechs. I just have to figure out what that means, and how best to balance our forces. And whether or not I’ll be able to keep Theo in the command lance.”

“Why’s that a concern?” Rampart asked.

“Most lances aren’t assigned two Sergeants,” Syntyche grimaced. “Which means one of the two of you might need to be reassigned. And even if we are assigned a third Sergeant, I wouldn’t mind having someone I trust looking over the newbies.”

“And since Theo’s a more experienced babysitter—”

“Exactly,” Syntyche smiled. “He’s used to it. He kept me alive, after all. But ‘Mech assignment isn’t my only concern. I also have to consider the vehicle company and our AeroSpace assets. Four fighters isn’t much, but they could really come in handy; and there’s a lot we could do with a tank company even if we can’t get any Alicorns. I do want at least one lance capable of transporting infantry—we can’t count on being able to assemble APCs from cargo bay storage—but other than that? We could make a defensive wall we can safely retreat to, a raiding force to make the enemy miserable, or see if we can fit a King Karnov, an engineering crew to build runways, and surprise the enemy with a jumptroop paradrop or even by dropping a jump-capable medium ‘Mech or two behind them. I’ve got complete freedom to engage the enemy—it’s just a question of what sort of engagement we’d like to seek out.”

The Proposal (Part 4: Command Lance Makeup)
A) Fast Attack Command Lance

- Phoenix Hawk
- Banshee
- Lancelot
- Night Hawk

B) Special Forces Command Lance
- Black Knight
- Exterminator
- Osprey
- Spector

C) Line Command Lance
- Marauder
- Guillotine
- Thunderbolt
- Rifleman

D) Brawler Command Lance
- Shootist
- Ostsol
- Flashman
- Firestarter

E) Assault Command Lance
- BattleMaster
- Hunchback
- Stalker
- Rising Star
Vote Here! (Choose up to 2)!

The Proposal (Part 5: Second SLDF Lance Vote)
A) Heavy Battle Lance

- Archer
- Kintaro
- Galahad
- Thunderbolt

B) Line Battle Lance
- Guillotine
- Hunchback
- Lynx
- Crab

C) Fast Battle Lance
- Flashman
- Lancelot
- Assassin
- Dervish

D) Long Range Recon Patrol Lance
- Talon
- Spector
- Ostscout
- Ostscout

E) Fast Recon Lance
- Mercury
- Ostscout
- Stinger LAM
- Stinger LAM

F) Commando Lance
- Assassin
- Spector
- Firestarter
- Ostscout

The Proposal (Part 5a: Irregular Lance Sub Vote)
PTN’s note:
This is tied to your SLDF lance vote. If you pick an SLDF battle lance, you’ll get the Irregular scout lance. If you pick an SLDF scout lance, you’ll get an Irregular battle lance.
A-C) Irregular Scout Lance
- Falcon (& Falconer)
- 3x Random Mercenaries
- 1x SLDF Liaison
- Lose Ravager & Thunderbolt

D-F) Irregular Battle Lance
- Thunderbolt (& Ravager)
- 2x Random Mercenary
- 1x SLDF Liaison
- Lose Falconer & Falcon

The Proposal (Part 6: Light Vehicle Company Vote)
A) Defensive Vehicle Company

Lance 1
- 2x Von Luckner Heavy Tanks (with Elrika Voss & Markus White)
- 2x Manticore Heavy Tanks
Lance 2
- 2x SRM Carriers
- 2x Chaparral Missile Artillery Tanks
Lance 3
- 2x Heavy Tracked APCs
- 2x Heavy Tracked APCs

B) Battle Vehicle Company
Lance 1
- 2x Manticore Heavy Tanks (with Elrika Voss & Markus White)
- 2x Bulldog Medium Tanks
Lance 2
- 2x LRM Carriers
- 2x Vali Artillery Vehicles
Lance 3
- 2x Heavy Tracked APCs
- 2x Heavy Tracked APCs

C) Assault Transport Company
Lance 1
- 2x Turhan Urban Combat Vehicles (with Elrika Voss & Markus White)
- 2x Maxim Hover Transports
Lance 2
- 2x Karnov UR Transport VTOLs
- 2x Ripper Transport VTOLs
Lance 3
- 2x Heavy Tracked APCs
- 2x Heavy Hover APCs

D) Raider Vehicle Company
Lance 1
- 2x Condor Heavy Hover Tanks (with Elrika Voss & Markus White)
- 2x Kanga Medium Hovertanks
Lance 2
- 2x Cyrano Gunships
- 2x Karnov (Artillery)s
Lance 3
- 2x Heavy Hover APCs
- 2x Heavy Hover APCs

E) Utility Vehicle Company
Lance 1
- 2x Von Luckner Heavy Tanks (with Elrika Voss & Markus White)
- 2x Manta Attack Submarines
Lance 2
- 1x King Karnov
- 1x King Karnov
Lance 3
- 2x Buffel Engineering Support Vehicles
- 1x Heavy Mobile HQ w/HPG
- 1x Heavy Recovery Vehicle

The Proposal (Part 7: Aerospace Squadron Vote)
A) Interdiction Squadron

Lance 1
- 2x Rapier Heavy Dogfighters
Lance 2
- 2x Thunderbird Heavy Attack Fighters

B) Ground Attack Squadron
Lance 1
- 2x Gotha Medium Attack Fighters
Lance 2
- 2x Chippewa Heavy Attack Fighters

C) Superiority Squadron
Lance 1
- 2x Samurai Medium Fast Dogfighters
Lance 2
- 2x Spad Light Fast Dogfighters

D) Interceptor Squadron
Lance 1
- 2x Sabre Light Interceptors
Lance 2
- 2x Hellcat II Fast Dogfighters

E) Support Squadron
Lance 1
- 1x Cheetah Light Interceptor
- 1x Cheetah Recon Light Interceptor
Lance 2
- 2x Planetlifter Medium Air Transports

Now Accepting Suggestions for Lance and Company Designations!
Want to name one of our new lances? Think we should rename Obligation Lance to something less cryptic? Post suggestions in the thread! We’ll vote on them in the next downtime. I’ll only be accepting one suggestion per person, so if you suggest multiple things you’ll be stuck with whatever I feel is best.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 21, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Lance 2 is Delegation Lance

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Extremely awesome!! Crunchy, juicy decisions to be made!!

Some lance suggestions to be used ironically or not:

Robust, Remembrance, Tosspot, Foxfire, Butterball (the support aerospace lance).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lance 3 is Negotiation Lance

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

OK OK, if we get the utility company we get ATTACK SUBMARINES and a mobile HPG. Only good things could come of that choice

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

propatriamori posted:

OK OK, if we get the utility company we get ATTACK SUBMARINES and a mobile HPG. Only good things could come of that choice

One ping only, Kerensky

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mobius Squadron for the Aerospace unit, clearly.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I see Kintaro, I mash vote button

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ok this is great.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There are no bad options or trap options on this list, but there are a few intentional combos.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

wow so many choices.

Uh.

That mobile HPG hq vehicle. that sounds -expensive-. But that would let the company get/recieve orders and make reports -while- in the field, and/or potentially turn around in the middle of transit, right?

Follow up question: Are there any sub-ins for mechs we already have on hand? IE, do we need to take the assault company to keep the battlemaster, or would we end up with two of them through keeping one we have and replacing another wiht it?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 6, 2024

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Went with the Flashman/Flashman combo for when we inevitably need spare parts.

The King Karnov Kengineering Krew is like an old friend at this point. I'd much rather see our buds in a tank that doesn't have to close as a backup so that went to the Defensive choice.

I'd really like enough air support to take out stray dropships. But I'll settle for air superiority.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Requirement Lance

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Shootist sure is a name for battlemech. And apparently it carries a "Deathgiver AC20"?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'd never even heard of the Rising Star, and reading about it that makes sense since it's only supposed to have had a limited run. I'm presuming it only being armed with a single AC10 isn't going to be accurate here.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Xarn posted:

Shootist sure is a name for battlemech. And apparently it carries a "Deathgiver AC20"?

I’m pretty sure that’s mechanically just an ac/20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xarn posted:

'Deathgiver' is the brand, it's a regular old AC20.