Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
On I’m gonna need to sit down and just, analyze all of these when I get a chance. I appreciate the suggested names though, most of those are pretty cool. I like Delegation and Negotiation lance.

Also yes, all mech weapons have brands, but mechanically they all function the same. I think in some of the video games different brands manifest as + weapons which have an advantage over the most common “normal” brand. But for the tabletop it’s just fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cythereal posted:

'Deathgiver' is the brand, it's a regular old AC20.

Yeah I know. It's just silly :v:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Going to agree with Syntyche: mobility wins. Being able to maintain local numerical superiority and limit the enemy's options through good maneuvering is how you consistently punch above your weight class. Along those thought patterns:

Command Lance: The Special Forces lance B has three good jump capable mechs and the old reliable Black Knight - considering this is likely the lance players are going to be using most often, even outside of tactical concerns having mobile jump mechs is probably a good idea just from a fun standpoint. There's some risk of the Black Knight being isolated if the other three leave it behind, but it's still as fast as the Osprey on the ground, so hopefully that'd just be a 2 and 2 situation at worst. The Assault lance E is also a good choice - less mobile, but we've already got the BattleMaster and experience with it (which might help with behind the scene intangibles?), the Hunchback and Stalker are both very good, and the Rising Star is such a wildcard that I can't, actually find stats for it? Which is very tempting for multiple reasons.

SLDF/Mercenary Lance: C seems like the clear choice for this strategy - fast/jump capable mechs that can be placed where needed at a moment's notice. Taking this gives the scout lance to the mercenaries - Falcon deserves an opportunity to do something other than stand there menacingly, the Falconer is just a weird looking mech and I love it, and unless that's a typo we actually get an additional mercenary with this option?

Vehicle Company: Raider company D is entirely hover/aerial vehicles, which is great for keeping the whole force mobile. The Kanga tank, appropriately enough, is also jump capable, which is a wonderful image that I heartily support, and the Karnov's are plane-based artillery, which helps make sure they're available and not bogged down in the woods somewhere, forcing us to slow down to wait for them to catch up.

Aerospace Company: Since we've got planes in the vehicle company, we probably want to have air-to-air here (the gunships might not be enough on their own); either Interdiction A or Superiority C look to give us some additional ability to cover the Karnovs without completely sacrificing the company's ground strike capability (more mobile attack capacity! more!)

For names, I'll volunteer Fortune Lance for our mercenaries. Alternately, if we want to keep the naming theme going comedically, Levitation would work for one of the hover vehicle/aerospace units (not sure what level those are being named on, lance/squadron/company/etc).

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

After a brief glance at the list, I have some thoughts:

Light vehicle company:
As much as I want to take the mobile HBP (on the grounds that the rest of the task forces assigned to this problem - per the second to last lore update - are still reporting in), I think we already have targets and it gives up too much teeth-kicking potential.

Here's what I think works together:

Irregular battle lance + SLDF scout.
E) Fast Recon Lance.
Its not just about the lams, the Ostscout is an 8/12/8 and all the quirks you'd want out of a scout. If you ever wanted a locust that can jump and packs a probe(through quirks), thats it. The lams allow fly-overs without taking up an aerospace bay and thats worth its weight. If we go for an irregular scout lance, nothing will be as capable, and we can have the heavy-hitters in other places.

Fighters: Interdiction or Superiority. Ground attacks is also a good option
Interdiction allows for some -incredible- firepower. The bonus there is it becomes ground strike once the dropship is on planet and not -needed- to go hunting jumpships.
Superiority is what you bring if you think the enemy might have aero of their own, and ground attack is what you bring if you want to bomb poo poo -anyway-. Heavy fighters are irreplacably devastating, but their one weakness is fast interceptors.. and I wouldn't be surprised if the enemy has a few conventional (air breathing, non asf) fighters defending positions the places they've taken and fortified. I'd like it if we had the option of 2 heavy, 2 interceptor, but we take what we get.

Vehicle lances: I want to like the defensive battle company! ac20 on the von luckner are nasty, and so are the srm carriers. Its only downside is maneuverabiility and making enemies come to you. the assault transport company offers something like 50 tons of troop transport ability which is just nutty. The raider isn't bad either. its very mobile! I'm also amused at the presence of the Kanga. In-era, its kind of funny to see, even if its a ridiculous design that gets laughed at later.
I think the mobile HPG is an incredible option, BUT it removes basically -any- firepower from the vehicle section and I don't think it outweighs the drawbacks. Also the infantry transport is kinda busted/nonexistant in comparison. Previous, goons were like 'hell yeah letsg on the offensive and take more dropships!'
Now its kinda voting away that option. (at least at first glance, I don't see the karnovs having infantry transport bays? Does it just mean 'paradrops only' and/or 'only put infantry on the field if we've already secured the area?'

I think my preference here is battle or defensive(backed up by heavy air power), followed by raider(to capitalize on fast recon with a follow up to take objectives before they can do anything about it) or assault(for dropships, maybe, but I think its my -last- pick).

Command lance wise, the special forces lance is eye-grabbing, due to the prevalence of sldf invisibility and stealth tech. Its not bad! I'd definitely like to see how they work in-play, but the assault lance is amazing too. Most of our pilots can use them also, but put theo in a hunchback and heads are gonna -roll-.

I think my ideal mix is:
Assault Command
Irregular Battle
Fast SLDF Recon

Defensive or Raider vehicle company.
Interdiction, Superiority and/or Interception squadrons.
Basically do a lot of heavy lifting with the merc lance, supported by everything else, and enough vehicle firepower to secure areas after sweeping in or be a hastle in two places at once.

In particular I think a raider company with an interception squadron and the sldf fast recon would be a massive pain to deal with, but I don't think it'll win and bringing all the heavy metal sounds fun too.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 6, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Please do keep in mind that I really mean it when I say there are no bad options.

The Banshee is only terrible in 3025 because it's got a standard engine, a 95 tonner is the sweet spot for a 4/6 'mech with an XL Engine. Likewise, there's a surprising amount of fun things you can do with an Assassin or a Dervish if you assume the 3025 versions are tech-loss downgrades.

It's also important to note: Every single Command Lance has one 'Mech with the Command 'Mech quirk, so you're not losing any capability there. Sadly, I couldn't come up with a good excuse to offer a Cyclops.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I love artillery but I’m not sure how well it fits with the way we’re trying to operate

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

I love artillery but I’m not sure how well it fits with the way we’re trying to operate

Remember the previous thread where the Clan (I think Jade Falcons) developed artillery doctrine and took out twice thier number of veterans with almost no losses beyond drones?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Captain Foo posted:

with artillery we can simply bombard the way we're trying to operate until it fits just fine

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pattonesque posted:

with artillery we can simply bombard the way we're trying to operate until it fits just fine

:hmmyes:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Chaparrals and Valis pair particularly well with Ostscouts, since they're Arrow IV vehicles.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please do keep in mind that I really mean it when I say there are no bad options.

The Banshee is only terrible in 3025 because it's got a standard engine, a 95 tonner is the sweet spot for a 4/6 'mech with an XL Engine. Likewise, there's a surprising amount of fun things you can do with an Assassin or a Dervish if you assume the 3025 versions are tech-loss downgrades.

It's also important to note: Every single Command Lance has one 'Mech with the Command 'Mech quirk, so you're not losing any capability there. Sadly, I couldn't come up with a good excuse to offer a Cyclops.

I really want to see this Banshee now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
OK, reading through some of the unit choices, I'm really a fan of the fast attack or assault SLDF lance options. Especially if we get something like the Banshee-5S, which makes complete sense as a "this is what the Banshee was supposed to be in the SL era, before succession wars tech regression happened."

If not the fast attack lance, then the Assault lance is a great bedrock to build on. I really want to see the mystery rising star, too.

For the secondary lance, I do think the SLDF recon options are going to be better than whatever auxiliaries we can get from Mercs. So my vote goes to E, the fast recon lance. Mostly because I also really want to field either of the vehicle options featuring artillery, option A or B. The other options are cool potentially in terms of utility, but, think about our mission here: We're aiming to straight up seek and destroy the fake SLDF base. Artillery will come in perfectly handy for that.

For the Aerospace compliment, I'm not sure how they play so much, so really I'm just going by guesstimates on the roles, but I feel like if we're going heavy artillery with our ground forces, we're unlikely to need ground attack fighters. What we are likely to need is something to deal with Dropships, since our Mechs and Tanks can't do that. But option A, interdictors, can do that. I guess a second choice would be the utility lance with the planetlifters.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
if it is the -5S, it's an absolute monster

Sarna posted:

An upgrade of the 3S variant using Star League technology, the 5S replaces the engine with an XL engine and uses double heat sinks to save weight, restoring its top speed to 64.8 km/h. The 'Mech is armed for long range combat with a Poland Main Model A Gauss rifle and two Defiance 1001 ER PPCs. For close ranges, the 'Mech has a TharHes Maxi SRM-6, four Defiance B3M medium lasers, and two Defiance B3S Small Lasers, and is also equipped with an Angst Clear Channel 3 comsys.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

My suggested command design:

Command Lance: B) Special Forces
SLDF Second Lance: D) Long Range Recon Patrol
Irregular Lance: D) Irregular Battle Lance
Light Vee Company: A) Defensive Vehicle Company
Aerospace Squadron: C) Superiority Squadron

The root of this Command design is the previously stated link between the Second Lance's Ostscouts and the Light Vehicle's Chapparals. The Defensive company also gives our new pals a hell of a ride. Filling this out is the Superiority squad, which will keep the skies to clear to execute the otherwise ground-based strategy. The Irregular Battle lance can also add weight as our ground-based non-defensive assets are quite light. Last but not least, the Special Forces Command Lance has a lot of flexibility, which is particularly important as our other units are more clear in their roles. Also it has a Black Knight, which are awesome.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The fast recon and commando lance has (an) ostscout each, too

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheParadigm posted:

The fast recon and commando lance has (an) ostscout each, too

yes, but long range recon has 2 :smugmrgw:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

wedgekree posted:

Remember the previous thread where the Clan (I think Jade Falcons) developed artillery doctrine and took out twice thier number of veterans with almost no losses beyond drones?

It was us Smoke Jaguar cadets/dishonourable types bombarding the Falcon veterans into oblivion with Arrow IVs and quadcopters. It got so bad that some of our artillery had to be "retasked for off-board support" to try to slow down the Clan Fried Chicken bonanza occurring.

Tepegoz represent.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Chaparrals and Valis pair particularly well with Ostscouts, since they're Arrow IV vehicles.

Do either of those carry air defense arrows (or are sams a later invention?)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Z the IVth posted:

It was us Smoke Jaguar cadets/dishonourable types bombarding the Falcon veterans into oblivion with Arrow IVs and quadcopters. It got so bad that some of our artillery had to be "retasked for off-board support" to try to slow down the Clan Fried Chicken bonanza occurring.

Tepegoz represent.

Amazing

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
It was against Nova Cats. And I seem to remember an entire star being almost completely vaporized.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JackSplater posted:

It was against Nova Cats. And I seem to remember an entire star being almost completely vaporized.

I seem to remember a lot of the Falcon winged mechs on the field but they're not exclusive are they?

I remember being a bit worried about one of the big assaults and then the first Arrow barrage comes in and headcaps him.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Definitely Nova Cats. Looks like the first enemy star had a Shrike, though, and that's definitely a Jade Falcon mech.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So obviously the point is artillery is awesome.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Only 2 votes needed for Fast Recon! Play with a rare unit type not shown off in a PTN thread so far.(the screamer doesn't count)!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm still accepting lance names. I need quite a few more, and I'm bad at naming things!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vacillation lance.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Temptation lance

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Overcommitment Lance

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

wiegieman posted:

Vacillation lance.

Oscillation and Scintillation lance would go well as a theme for that.

Or Defenestration lance.
Ennui lance.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Vacillation lance.

Vaccination Lance

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Malediction lance for arty/ fire support. Oka Nieba for scouts

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Defenestration Lance

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Sequestration Lance

Obduration Lance

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Trepidation Lance
Annihilation Lance
Locomotion Lance
Peregrination Lance

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm still accepting lance names. I need quite a few more, and I'm bad at naming things!

I liked requirement lance for whomever suggested it.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Distraction Lance. Just in case they crack our coms.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Much as the joke is funny I do think the names of the lances should be a bit more phonetically distinct as in-chracter this is gonna be important information over a garbled radio transmission in the middle of a firefight.

So yes, how about (near-)synonyms instead of rhymes?

Obligation, Requirement, Necessity, Duty, etc.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Alfa lance
Bravo lance
Delta lance

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Falcon Lance
Wolf Lance
Jaguar Lance