Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

propatriamori posted:

...i'm realizing that i would probably listen to a battletech rpg / wargame campaign. is there an untapped niche in the Charismatic Actors / Comedians Play RPGs space?

are podcasts lostech?

One of the Penny Arcade guys has a campaign based on a mashup of Alpha Strike/MW Destiny. I haven't had time to listen, so I can't speak for much beyond it existing, but it might be up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Amaris also took a member of the Kurita family on Terra hostage and promised they would die if the Combine took offensive action against his new Empire. That was only known after the fact, so the Coordinator acted in a confusing and equally provocative manner to both sides of the conflict. The Combine's foundational purpose is to conquer everyone, so they were pressured into joining the Star League after realizing the alliance of other houses would overpower them, and while in the League they were the habitual line-steppers.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

painedforever posted:

Y'know, I liked Kerensky. Does that make me a mark, because I'm "supposed to" because of the fluff?

Think whatever you will. The lore has enough elbow room to support all manner of conflicting Watsonian views, including on Kerensky and his actions. Battletech isn't a place where things are black and white, as much as the novel writers try.

For my part, I view him as similar to Victor Steiner-Davion: idealistic and well-meaning in a context where those are absolutely faults that will get people hurt and make things worse. I also disagree with the side that's critical of him because while powerful, he wasn't the sole actor with the agency to effect events. The five Great Houses weren't center stage for the fall of the Star League, but they made choices along the way that expedited the fall and guaranteed the bloodbath that followed. Whatever their personal feelings and their justifications, they made their choices and deserve to have the figurative and literal fallout hang over them.