Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Right, since I can't make it through an LP without rebalancing something (and since we've already given small weapons the buff I think they need), I'm looking once again at autocannons. The AC/2 and AC/5 specifically, since the AC/10 and AC/20 are fine-ish. The LB-10X always obsoletes the standard AC/10 and I don't think anything can fix that.

How do you feel about these proposed balance tweaks?

Autocannon/5 - Has a single shot and burst fire mode. Burst fire mode functions as per the current Ultra AC rules (2 shells fired, jam chance on a poor roll). Clearing a jam takes a turn and costs a shot as you eject an unspent shell to jar the jammed shell loose.

Ultra Autocannon/5 - Is designed to fire in burst mode, it's got extra recoil compensators and a redesigned feed system. Doesn't suffer a jam chance, has a +2 bonus to the cluster table so it now has a better than 50% chance of both shells hitting.

Autocannon/2 - Has a single shot and burst-fire mode. Burst fire mode fires 3 rounds instead of just 2, but has the standard UAC jam chance as above. This gives 1 ton of AC/2 ammo 15 rounds of shots which is pretty ideal.

Ultra Autocannon/2 - Exists, as above, but with the three round AC/2 burst. Wasn't in the Helm memory core because "That poo poo is so simple, we can't imagine anyone would have trouble scaling it down."

I like these changes quite a bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Man I love thinking about fake weapons stuff too. I like this take on pulse lasers, and it got me thinking.

So as I see it the standard lasers are a single short duration "pulse" while pulse lasers are a longer duration many sub-second duration pulses. These would still not be anywhere near the multi second discharges of MWO/MW5. In fact, a thing I remember from one of the few good BT novels, Robert Charette's Heir to the Dragon, a Zeus takes a hit that disables the rear medium laser which (iirc) Theodore sees because it starts just emitting continously for a second or two then it burns itself out. Targeting penalties and range bands represent that while these are lightspeed weapons the laser shots need to hit in a sufficiently direct way in order to damage BT armored units, but are working within small windows of time. Pulse lasers can also be a nice showcase of how much more advanced the Terran Hegemony was in laser engineering since these heavier components still fit in the same space as a standard laser, which could easily show that the "laser" part of the pulse laser weapons was effectively miniaturized.

Another pulse laser type that is explicitly described as having specialized physical components to making it behave the way it does in the tabletop are Variable Speed Pulse Lasers (VSPL) weapons. These are described as approaching the range issue by another route, by integrating software cutoffs and physical lens switching systems that make the weapon deadly accurate at closer ranges while still giving it the ability to track better even at a longer range than standard Inner Sphere (SL tech) pulse lasers.

The software/hardware integration could also be seen with the prototype/rediscovered standard Inner Sphere pulse lasers. As I recall instead of the -2 to-hit bonus the prototype systems only have a -1 as well as suffering 1d6 higher heat generation when they fire. I think this makes sense as a representation of the systems integration of the targeting arrays for pulse laser prototypes being fare more primitive so aren't able to keep the beam on target as easy as the mature weapons system. The heat could also be just another way of arriving at the -1 bonus in that the recovered lostech pulse lasers could be cycling much longer durations compared to Star League original hardware to put enough pulses on the target. PTN's pointing out of the stabilization/targeting as being the special sauce that makes pulse lasers lines up nicely with every other "accurized" sort of thing we see in BT weaponry. For example, Targeting Computers in BT are large multiton things. But the computer component itself is of neglible weight, the majority of the tonnage/space represents the specialized stabilization, targeting arrays, and other physical components to hold multiton weapons systems on target.

Another to-hit benefiting weapon system are the newer Reengineered Lasers. These are described as a sort of multistage beam firing laser with a noticeably longer firing cycle (even if this wouldn't be detectable to human senses) to allow the REL to pierce even specialized armor composites in the 3150s. The weight and space gains over a standard laser or even pulse lasers represents the targeting and tracking systems in order to keep the beam hitting the same spot enough to punch through advanced armors.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

The Clanners named it the Adder and not the Cobra, which is all the proof you need that like Clanners themselves, Clan names are inherently inferior and should be destroyed.

CSA scientist: but...but, it was not designed by the Cloud Cobras :confused:

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

painedforever posted:

Getting back to laughable LAMs...

Wasn't someone in Natasha Kerensky's lance a LAM pilot?

No, but Jaime Wolf's intelligence chief, Stanford Blake, piloted a LAM before Misery in Wolves On The Border.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Honestly, the Dragoons being able to receive and decypher HPG transmissions would be a pretty good excuse.

With the world detail backfill of a part ComStar's HPG comms monopoly being their cryptography, I also like how it dovetails with how the Seventh Kommando raid on the An Ting HPG site worked for the Dragoons too. Like, anybody in a star system technically can receive HPG comms since it's just a radio carrier wave that's been squirted through hyperspace, but ComStar's stranglehold was understanding how to not only make HPGs work to transmit and to cryptographically secure any communications on both ends with their Star League tech computer resources.

The Dragoons, being Clan, not only had the know-how to rig the transmission but they also had access to Star League vintage computer resources equal to or even superior to ComStar's as well. An example of this hardware advantage could be seen with Jaime Wolf being able to bring weapons into the most secured event on the most secured planet in the Inner Sphere with a personal SL-era electronic cloaking system.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

It's going to be pretty cool to salvage the Stalker I think. I feel that there's some neat tech stuff to be found here

:ssh:

For fun I tried building the Stalker in Megamek Lab and to get everything to fit as listed on the weapons, armor, and heat dissipation you have to use some Clantech, unless I'm missing something obvious

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Yeah, that Stalker's a hum-dinger. The closest I can tell is that it's a SLDF Royal variant, but those gave up their SRM-6s for DHS and an ECM suite according to sarna.

What started this up was the armor distribution lines up with 13.5 tons of IS ferrofibrous armor, plus it's rocking double heat sinks but with the weapons load and 16 IS DHS it can't fit the FF armor, but if you start to do some stuff like drop in Clan DHS or FF then it fits

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

doubly so if these forces are DCMS house regulars or some other faction's "pirate" forces/deniable assets

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Plus going with the Clans making use of cutting edge research on Star League weapons (their early stuff just being super Hegemony tech), and the Golden Century development Clan standard they still have Gauss rifles that explode.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Those are awesome looking sprites. What are you using to make them?