Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Which mech has a K-swap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Several, I believe. Though Laager was probably the most spectacular.

Was that the one on the dropship in space where some BA just tore everyone to shreds?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

There was also the one where the players were defending a comstar base and ended up nuking the place at the end, taking everyone with them.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Range, or in the case of the AC/20, damage that exceeds almost anything else. Yes it's heavy, but nothing else is as good at removing center torsos.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mech armor is, among a whole host of other properties, ablative. When a laser hits Mech armor it vaporizes the surface layers. This armor vapor apparently really fucks with lasers, which prevents long-duration beams from doing more damage.

This is called laser-plasma coupling and is an active area of research for modern inertial fusion experiments. There are a lot of clever tricks that can help avoid energy loss, but the most impactful thing is having a compatible beam wavelength and target material. Since mech armor is a bunch of poo poo and not a well defined experimental target is very easy to say that letting the plasma dissipate is the easiest solution. It is possible to power through the plasma to some degree with additional energy, but it's wildly inefficient compared to things like pulse shaping and stepping, which I'm going to assume the battletech lasers all do already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

And a giant bloated bureaucracy being unable to fix an issue is pretty realistic too. Sure we'd love to fix that problem but it would mean diverting funds from this other pet project and since my planet doesn't have a gauss rifle factory I can't vote for it... maybe in next year's budget.