Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

poo poo, I forgot that the original PTN Battletech thread started in 2011! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Double post

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If Ravager is our only current source of potential new clues, it's best to butter her up a bit. Ask her whether she'd prefer to have the Thunderbolt repaired to its current pirate spec or restored to factory, as a sign of good faith.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

painedforever posted:

I wonder if I go straight along 0611, I'll come out right next to the Crusader... and I can hit him very short-range.

Crusader is mostly LRMs, right? So either way, I'm inside the range of most of his missiles.

It does look like this version has a pair of SRM6s, so be mindful of those.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Z the IVth posted:

Rifleman

Going to stand still and start shooting Heavy 2.

Can the Rifleman take action against the fighters? That's what it's built for after all.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Stalker’s battering ram of a torso vanished behind the low rocky ridge it had used as a makeshift firing shelf. Stalkers had a certain straightforwardness to their design. Nearly every aspect of the ‘Mech was designed to minimize its frontal profile; it was designed for full frontal assaults. From the sides, the Stalker was more vulnerable. It wasn’t a ‘Mech designed to maneuver and brawl the way the BattleMaster had been.

I still say the Stalker looks too much like a walking buttplug, but I appreciate there being a lore explanation.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cythereal posted:

It just needs the right artist.

One of my favorite looking BattleMechs there is with a good artist at the helm.

That looks reasonable, for sure. But this is what we started with:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Scintilla posted:

This description makes me think of the Kontio. It's got a pair of claws, Triple Strength Myomer, and a ridiculous top speed of 172.8 km/h, so it can always get behind an enemy and pry open their weak rear armour and feast on their delicious innards. It also looks like a deranged serial killer.

Alas, its production date is 3145, so there's a good chance we'll never see it in action.

Finally! A 40-tonner worth having!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

W.T. Fits posted:

This design is giving me Rifts flashbacks for some reason.

Now that you mention it, yeah it does look like something from RIFTS.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Make the bird aliens a canon antagonist .

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So why are the star league and combine antagonists anyway? I don't know the lore that well but I always thought the SLDF kind of did what they wanted and it would be stupid to go up against them as a single house.

The Star League of this era was very much a tinder box, and it's not all or even mostly thanks to The Amazing Stephan and Boy Wonder Richy. There had already been 3 Shadow Wars. Those wars caused a hell of a lot of disruption, and exposed a foundational problem with the SLDF: it only really had the tools to deal with open and blatant rebellion. When it came to actually upholding what Star League was supposed to be, and maintaining the peace between supposedly peer members, it was okay, at best.

As for Kurita in particular, it was involved in all three Shadow Wars and had basically taken every opportunity to test what was allowed, or could be gotten away with. It was so bad that for the first half of the Amaris Civil War Kerensky was avoiding moving through DC space because he had to take in the possibility that Kurita was the true mastermind.