Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

PoptartsNinja posted:

And now I'm at a total loss and need to re-assess. I had one unit that was just flat-out tougher than everything else on the field and it just exploded.

one of the shelters opens up to reveal a second Wolverine that was definitely there the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

fortunately judging by their stats none of those are Chirico, so the team shouldn't be completely screwed if they turn violent

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Forgot the heat sinks.

nonsense, it's a snow mech, why would it need heat sinks

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

the colonel has lived a long and presumably full life, so we should accept his apparent battle strategy of "aggressively facing away from the only surviving enemies on the map" for what it is and take this opportunity to start marking plans for the funeral. do you think he will have wanted lilacs?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

wedgekree posted:

I will be extremely disappointed if /anyone/ votes against seizing the Dropship.

happy to be of service.

more seriously, when the vote does win, I would go for having just Ravager over trying to get both - Ravager's help will probably come cheap given what we've done for them, whereas the inability to save the Colonel might mean the cost of getting the local's help could possibly exceed what we'd get from them.

PoptartsNinja posted:

PTN’s note: If the thread had activated a spare before taking a combat loss, there was a not insignificant chance it would’ve been a Charger.

so we made the wrong choice, is what you're saying.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

counterargument: cramped cockpit is likely to repeatedly cause minor to moderate negative effects that will have people shaking their fist at this vote, instead of only showing up when a pilot's probably dead anyway, and is therefore more Fun

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Personal thoughts:

Unit Composition: D

We have a demonstrated history of working nicely with irregulars/mercenaries and already have a few ready and waiting to potentially sign with us, so keeping that element going is a good idea, particularly when the strategic level goal is "link up enough colonies/irregulars to form a working army". I agree that having infantry capacity might also unlock some interesting goals, and would be potentially useful in the training purpose as well, so potentially a sub of B would be considered - but I do want to call attention to the dropship compositions. Option D doesn't seem to actually have infantry deployment capability, so adding those in would either involve matching the vote choice of swapping out the Lion for a Fury (which seems like a significant downgrade), PTN allowing an infantry refit of the Lion (something which Sarna suggests even the Clans could never get to work right?), or most likely refitting the Union to take infantry instead of fighters which does appear to be a known variant but imo I'd rather have the fighters?

Company Composition: E

This and C seem to be the best fit for the mechs we have/have salvaged (mostly heavies/assaults with longer range capability, as I understand it), but E will allow PTN to show off what they're planning for scout lances, so I'd go for that.

Primary Objective: C+D

Anywhere the fake SLDF is attacking is someplace they think has a chance of turning against them, so I vote we take them at their word and make sure they turn against them. Visibly engaging in D will help provide cover for C (less chance of escalating the conflict if we appear to be acting defensively), and again if our strategic goal is building a force that will threaten the border this seems like the most direct/visible way to do that (and as propatriamori noted being visibly key can only be good for our long-term career). It also mixes well with the irregular composition, since we'd potentially have the opportunity to do some direct field training that way.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Going to agree with Syntyche: mobility wins. Being able to maintain local numerical superiority and limit the enemy's options through good maneuvering is how you consistently punch above your weight class. Along those thought patterns:

Command Lance: The Special Forces lance B has three good jump capable mechs and the old reliable Black Knight - considering this is likely the lance players are going to be using most often, even outside of tactical concerns having mobile jump mechs is probably a good idea just from a fun standpoint. There's some risk of the Black Knight being isolated if the other three leave it behind, but it's still as fast as the Osprey on the ground, so hopefully that'd just be a 2 and 2 situation at worst. The Assault lance E is also a good choice - less mobile, but we've already got the BattleMaster and experience with it (which might help with behind the scene intangibles?), the Hunchback and Stalker are both very good, and the Rising Star is such a wildcard that I can't, actually find stats for it? Which is very tempting for multiple reasons.

SLDF/Mercenary Lance: C seems like the clear choice for this strategy - fast/jump capable mechs that can be placed where needed at a moment's notice. Taking this gives the scout lance to the mercenaries - Falcon deserves an opportunity to do something other than stand there menacingly, the Falconer is just a weird looking mech and I love it, and unless that's a typo we actually get an additional mercenary with this option?

Vehicle Company: Raider company D is entirely hover/aerial vehicles, which is great for keeping the whole force mobile. The Kanga tank, appropriately enough, is also jump capable, which is a wonderful image that I heartily support, and the Karnov's are plane-based artillery, which helps make sure they're available and not bogged down in the woods somewhere, forcing us to slow down to wait for them to catch up.

Aerospace Company: Since we've got planes in the vehicle company, we probably want to have air-to-air here (the gunships might not be enough on their own); either Interdiction A or Superiority C look to give us some additional ability to cover the Karnovs without completely sacrificing the company's ground strike capability (more mobile attack capacity! more!)

For names, I'll volunteer Fortune Lance for our mercenaries. Alternately, if we want to keep the naming theme going comedically, Levitation would work for one of the hover vehicle/aerospace units (not sure what level those are being named on, lance/squadron/company/etc).

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Obligation Lance exists because I felt obligated to give the player unit a name.

You don't have to keep to that format. I'm giving you the opportunity to name the whole formation. :shobon:

tbf given the limit to one per person I'm not surprised people wanted to jump on a common theme rather than try to propose a whole new theme no one might buy into (i did the same in the other post)

anyway to give you more options here's a whole new theme no one might buy into

Mech Company: Celestial
- Command Lance: Radiant
- Battle Lance: Infinite
- Scout Lance: Void

Vehicle Company: Terrestrial
- Tank Lance: Goetia
- Support Lance: Gnosis
- APC Lance: Monad

Aerospace Company: Infernal
- Lance 1: Peacock
- Lance 2: Dawnstar

(IIRC comstar won't be a thing for another like 25 years right? so all our characters should be safely dead by the time any of these names would be suspicious)

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Yeah, as Paradigm says, the Fast Recon has two light LAMs and two light mechs - so as amusing as Jinx is, she isn't actually trained on any of the mechs she'd be assigned to pilot (training for lights isn't much, but it's still xp that needs to be spent), and only a few of the available warriors have the aerospace training for the LAMs. I'm in agreement on taking Condor as the leader and Vulture as the second LAM pilot (plus having the two bird codenames in the LAMs is just the correct move, come on). For the other two my support is for Texas (partly for the communications boon and partly as a back-up LAM pilot) and Nobody (because has talent + will cause problems is always a great combination - don't think they're a good option for the LAM though given Piloting 5). Champion is potentially interesting - likely all of these specialized mechs are going to be difficult to maintain, have non-standard parts, or both - but it's only for his mech and he can't be a LAM pilot (which are probably the ones it'll be a larger problem with), so I think he gets edged out.

A lot of the rest of the options are up to personal preference, I think - I'm voting for the Wolf Twins cause I'm a sucker for that archetype and they're coming with some old mechs that I'd be amused to see deployed (Don't think I'd heard of the Bellerophon, but I'm going to have to assume that's a alt-universe rebuild or something and not one of the twins buying one of the four prototypes that were made ~300 years prior?).

I am slightly concerned about how Majesty has "makes internal friction worse" as a drawback, and then all three of the options for who he'd be liasoning with are very pointedly unbreakable pairs. Got a feeling I can predict which direction that friction's happening if he gets picked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

Huh. Do each of the lances have a hot spare pilot? Slightly surprising to not see both condor and vulture in their lams.
Figured texas was gonna take the ostscout if anything!

Vulture's random SPAs managed to roll Terrain Master (Mountaineer), so I can definitely understand why they got deprioritized for the LAMs, which I am led to believe have a different and pointedly non-compatible strategy for dealing with terrain (putting Marksman on the Gauss Rifle also doesn't hurt).