Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Can't wait to go back to the Inner Sphere with the smoking gun of Combine involvement and have Kerensky ignore it because he thinks that's taking sides!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

You guys are thinking about a decade too far ahead for Amaris and a good quarter turn on the ol' clock to do anything about Alexy K and the Periphery Uprising.

I suspect PTN wants to tell a new and original story instead of rehashing 50% of the "what if?" conversations about BT in the last 35 years.

Yeah, the Star League dies in 2742, people just didn't know it yet. By this point in the story, trust in the institution is so badly undermined by their repeated failures in the Third Hidden War it would collapse on its own even without Amaris.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm driving one of Defiance Industries' worst products, wheeee!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Per your request :haw:

Yeah, it was definitely my joke. I've got strong branding and do not wish to waste it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

1315 seems like good defensive terrain to post up at, I'm gonna make my way over and rattle some rounds through my autocannon at the first thing that crosses my path.

re: enemy units, the last two are pretty intriguing. We got a prototype Panther and also a special Whitworth that was only for the Amaris Dragoons for use "as a terror weapon." Only 24 of them were ever built. Definitely running into an Island of Misfit Toys here. Wonder if the third guy is a similarly odd duck.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 3, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Not quite fast enough to make it to the prime cover this turn, I'm gonna swing out to the side and take a potshot at 1.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Always have a plan to run to cover next turn, that's my advice.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If we were playing under BMR rules it would be. 1 in 6 chance of dying because you took cover, weeeeeee!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, guess PTN's dice are still scared of me after the last time I played.

Anyway, gonna swing out alongside the right side of the map, use the hill for cover and pop another shot at whatever I get the best number on. Probably the PNT-8Z

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Those buildings are one level tall, right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Just wanted to make sure. I'm going to circle around to the top of the map, shoot the Panther and the light vee. Basic pincer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Infantry loads and unloads into the same hex as the carrying unit. Unloading takes the entire turn so you can't do anything else, you just plop out into that hex.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bang bang, baby.

So we just gotta smoke the one vehicle, it looks like. Dogpile.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And it was drawn by a goon.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

My main gun has a minimum range and punching does less damage than it anyway.

Anyway, going to 0701 to light up the Javelin

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 18, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We're only playing for this mission, we'll get a new batch of players for the next one.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I say we train to get our power level (aka skills) as high as possible while we're travelling through deep space. If Goku were in charge it's what he'd do.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Think of controlling a hex as an aisle in a grocery store. You need to be able to do that back and forth shuffle to actually block off movement through.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

propatriamori posted:

gotta say I'm digging this time period. I imagine it also has to do with the weight class we're in, but the combination of lethality and no Clans is really quite nice.

3rd Hidden War is great. Also there's tons of line units disguising themselves as pirates doing war crimes and poo poo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Red shoulders are always a good sign, right?

I use them to imply that the unit in question was traded to the Unwearied Second from a Skye Rangers unit, but I assume that's not what you're trying to tell us

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I hope that we're not uncovering the secret army being amassed to bring down the Star League, because then all our characters are probably going to end up dead. That would be a downer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's exactly what Amaris would say to distract us from all the guns he's hiding here!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

That sounds like it might be a breach of SLDF doctrine. I'll have to check my sourcebooks.

The fact that you aren't simply nuking them the second you see them already has you in breach of SLDF doctrine.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You knew we'd do this. You don't give a place the name "crotch" and expect goons will vote otherwise.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Actual pirates? No.

But this is the Third Hidden War, the "pirates" have their own WarShips at this point. They can get a fuckin Crab.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

propatriamori posted:

what official Battletech sourcebooks / etc discuss the Third Hidden War? I've hardly seen anything that wasn't Third Succession War or later.

The five Great House sourcebooks and the Star League sourcebook talk about it from various perspectives. The Steiner one probably gives it the most focus out of the five Great Houses because it started with bandits attacking the Commonwealth, and you can really see how Kerensky bungled his response and doomed the Star League.

The Handbook series also talks about it some, but they had less page space for history and more stuff to cover so it's a bit more light on that era.

Most of the Star League-era products also take place during the Third Hidden War. Era Report: 2750, the 2750 field reports and Field Manual: SLDF are all set smack-dab in the middle of the war, with FM:SLDF talking about it as one of the largest current dangers to the Star League's future (which is 100% accurate). Liberation of Terra Vol I also discusses the Third Hidden War in hindsight, as one of the major factors that eroded support for the Star League.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Both the Loki and Thor are kitbashes of a Warhammer, Marauder and Thunderbolt, just not the same one. Goes back to the original Virtual World pods coming up with ways to save space.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah that's a loving royal 1Gb. Fakes shouldn't have those, right?

Depends on who's supplying them. Rules out these being House Regulars masquerading as SLDF Royals but it doesn't rule out Amaris.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AJ_Impy posted:

It's eclectic. Two Concordat export models, a ubiquitous dangerous medium, and a very exclusive assault. How's the Falcon fall on that range?

Manufactured on Hesperus but not by DI, plus it's an old model that would be out of production at this point. Not much of a smoking gun on that front.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheParadigm posted:

looking at the sprite are we sure that isn't a mislabeled warhammer?

I thought battlemasters were mostly torso lasers and one arm gun; the double big rear end peep is a warhammer thing.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleMaster#Variants

Some of them put a gun in the other arm

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

kw0134 posted:

So we can blame PoptartsNinja for the impending TPK then :v:

(has there ever been a full TPK in one of his threads?)

First appearance of the Clans was the first one.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That was indeed Aldo Lestrade, the very prominent sideburns give him away

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Olothreutes posted:

Range, or in the case of the AC/20, damage that exceeds almost anything else. Yes it's heavy, but nothing else is as good at removing center torsos.

Wait until you see what we invent in the 3060s

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

seaborgium posted:

They work better in the lore, especially AC/2's as they made great anti-aircraft weapons with their incredible range.

I like the changes you've come up with though PTN, seems reasonable and no work required to rebuild mechs.

They do in TT too, you just gotta load flak rounds instead of standard slugs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They are more there for deterrence. Probably don't actually try to let people shoot you in the back, trust me on this.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He can reduce his heat issues by punching instead of using the lasers in his arms, though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Clanners named it the Adder and not the Cobra, which is all the proof you need that like Clanners themselves, Clan names are inherently inferior and should be destroyed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact: the Wolfhound IIC debuted before the Wolfhound.

The Wolfhound entered production in 3028, and got a write-up in the Wolf's Dragoons SB so I'm not sure where you came to this conclusion from. Not the case in universe or in real life.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

Well that will teach me to browse Sarna late at night. It lists its date of introduction as 3028 and 3052 in two different places.

3052 is the WLF-2. It's the featured variant because it was the first one to get a write-up in a TRO, which is the way they determine which variant gets to go in the big box and which ones go below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I was thinking of the King Cobra because it has the power to go Ultra Instinct.