Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

kw0134 posted:

I have to ask, how ridiculously lucky was that shot because lol.

Per the Total Warfare rulebook, a 2 on a 2D6 (1/36 chance) gets you the critical chance. Then it's 8-12 on 2d6 (15/36) to confirm a crit, then you have to hit the ammo. It's not 100% clear to me what's in this Wolverine's crit table in the left torso, but the 3025 WVR-6R has two SRM launcher slots and 1 ammo slot, so 1/3 chance of hitting the ammo. So call it 5/1296, about 0.4% chance (a little less than 1/250). Could be less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Hey, careful,” Prodigal’s tone was more amused than cautionary. “That one might still be alive. Call the Dimetrodon and see if we can’t get some technicians and medtechs down here to pry that cockpit open. With luck the techs’ll be able to figure out exactly what we were fighting.”

weird, the medtechs say some kind of big bird was in the cockpit. Pilot must've gotten out somehow :confused:

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

digging the evidence list and whether or not it's conclusive

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

i've abstained from the training vote because i don't even know, but unknown SPA? yessssssss

PTN isn't going to make an unknown thing disappointing

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

That map owned. So many excellent pratfalls.

I was actively reading for the majority of the previous BattleTech non-alphastrike thread, but I've totally forgotten everything about it. Now I kind of wish there was a highlight reel or a documentary film about it.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

gotta say I'm digging this time period. I imagine it also has to do with the weight class we're in, but the combination of lethality and no Clans is really quite nice.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

Coordination is paramount, and so is secrecy, I estimate a 10% chance that this battle is actually blue on (extremely far away on the org chart) blue.

If it IS blue on blue, the NPC BLUFOR knows.

PoptartsNinja posted:

“poo poo,” Insect yelled into their open broadcast. “It’s the SLDF! One—two—only two for sure.”

even if Insect can't count.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

PTN two of the player cards are duped in the opforce status in the most recent post

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I have just seen a teaser for Mechwarrior 5: Clans and want to explicitly appreciate both how PTN made the Clan invasion fun again a decade ago (and then MOVED ON from it) but also how this thread's setting feels fresh to me, someone who has been at least paying attention to Battletech a little for the last three decades but also isn't an expert.

meanwhile official battletech seems to keep on just doin mad cat mad cat mad cat

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

that was a great engagement. I like that this campaign will seemingly require more focus on surviving engagements rather than glorious death in combat

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Scintilla posted:

What if they dare to refuse our batchall?

don't make the mistake of attacking someone's HOME PLANET

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I don't remember the Alien movies in superb detail but any planet designation beginning with LV- makes me paranoid.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

what official Battletech sourcebooks / etc discuss the Third Hidden War? I've hardly seen anything that wasn't Third Succession War or later.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The real answer to that question is "The Cyclops."

Really? I always thought it was a restyle of the Warhammer with a more obvious cockpit location, down to the shoulder spotlight.

I guess I see the Cyclops in it too, but my first TRO was 3050 and the Cyclops art in that is so derp that I just might never have taken it seriously.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's just me being inconsistent and forgetting whether I was labeling "Standard Fusion Engines" as "standard" or "fusion." They should all be labelled "standard" with Extra-Light engines being labelled "XL"

That is a good idea though. Make it a little harder to tell if someone's got an easy-kill side torso.

at least one brand of 'mech should absolutely have a giant chrome "XL" label on it. Like how there were commercials about Hemis 15 years ago.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

feels like we're about to find out that the Battlemaster has the special ability to execute any 'mech that it's behind and adjacent to

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

wedgekree posted:

If you could have a medium mech get into melee with hte Battlemaster, could you try and Wishbone it and yank off the limbs?

later seasons of that show must have had some really dark books

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

oh god the thread-long fallout from the Steiner Rules Dueling. What a way to trump the canonical "the way to beat the clans is to recognize they're incredibly stupid and you can double-dog dare them into doing whatever you want." I still love the Bethany Cochrane comic where she challenges somebody (Duke Lestrade?) to a Steiner Rules duel for all of the Commonwealth's secrets and then gets chased off by a Police Atlas dressed as old-timey British police with a club

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

good lord, PTN's dice decided to hunger for that Battlemaster

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

truly a spectacular fight

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I don't have real strong opinions about the other votes, but a merc seems pretty transparently trustworthy compared to the folks we work for. I guess they could be an SLDF agent or whatever else lying to us, but the story seems likely enough.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I don't have enough experience with how the game plays out in practice. I thought the light ACs were basically supposed to have tremendous range to compensate for their light damage. I'd be tempted to increase the ranges on them even more, though I immediately think that makes them so situational that they wouldn't be useful in most play unless you were using very large maps.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

hello, I am your Battlemaster for this fight. I've played a little tabletop Battletech before; happy that I'm in this Battlemaster variant because last time I had two PPCs all to myself I cooked off my own ammo bins.

The unknown heavies look like one of the Kuritan PPC-Catapults and a Dragon, I guess? Pretty decent heavies all around, though I think the Catapults usually have thin armor?

Looks fun. I hope we get to push someone through thin ice.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

How do the ice movement rules go? I played around in Megamek with what I knew about this scenario from the preview and the ice was hilarious but deadly.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Battlemaster

I just put in orders to move 1420, 1419, 1519 and twist north. I figure I'll stay centered for a while but I can cover more ground to the east right now and maybe get some early damage on the Catapult.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

vorebane posted:

going to trundle up to 2325 and take a potshot with my lrms, i think i need a spot for it, is anyone in position and willing to press R for rain??

I think I'm the only one close to being able to spot, but the enemy are all in a hole this turn and there's intervening terrain. Once they're out of the hole sure, I think? I don't know the LRM indirect fire rules very well

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

OK yes despite having lurked for like a decade I forgot about the phase order. I should've had the PPCs set to fire on the Catapult / Unknown Heavy 1, which I figured would pop out to its flank. Which also has ER PPCs, which isn't a surprise since the Battlemaster did/half-does too.

So I think I'm going to do both PPCs and the LPLAS at the Catapult this turn. I just don't know where to go. Maybe 1516? The LOS from there to the north side of the ridge seems complicated. I don't want to stumble across some thin ice though :(

I get the feeling I'll be taking shots from the Stalker in one to two combat phases too, no matter where I go

five-minutes-later edit: I think I'll just put myself in 1619 and open fire. partial cover goooooooooo

propatriamori fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 8, 2024

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Ha ok, my brain fart was in the second turn. I thought I'd misunderstood the phase order the first time, but no, it's our movement, shooting, then enemy movement (except for aces). So I dropped my LPLAS into nothing and built up a little heat I didn't need to. Only a little though.

Interesting that the Catapult's backing off. I'd be shooting medium/long at it with PPCs. Medium PPCs and long LPLAS at the Dragon, which is pretty tempting (especially since it shot at me). Or I could maybe run to 1217 and open up on the Stalker at shorts with the PPCs and mediums with the MLAS array. That's...also pretty tempting. From 1217, 1515 might block the line of sight from the Catapult and Dragon too, though they're going to have other folks to deal with.

It looks like the Stalker's lining up to cover the gorge to the east too. Hmm hmm hmm.

Thoughts? I think my most potential damage is to try at the Stalker, and it's...barely heat negative if I do both PPCs and all four medium lasers? 31 weapon heat + 2 running?

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Strobe posted:

The enemy has already moved this turn, players move next and all shooting for this turn happens.

Each post contains parts of two different turns.

OK, sure. The more important thing is the order the phases happen in, and that I somehow managed to get confused about it.

After some thought I'm going to go hit the Stalker. It was always going to be him and me, and I may as well try to get the opening salvo in that fight.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pray they don't have bombs. Even a 20 ton fighter can carry 40 damage of HE bombs. Light and medium fighters are usually better at delivering bomb payloads than heavy fighters because they have more thrust to spare (but they're also more prone to dying if you wing them with an LB-10X submunition).

How does that balance out? iirc the last time they showed up AA knocked them out of the sky pretty readily

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Battlemaster

Just want to call extra attention to the updated objectives:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Secondary Objective
- Defeat Enemy BattleMech Lance (0/4)
- Keep All Enemy Mechs Engaged for 3 Turns (0/3 remaining):
- - Stalker Engaged (0/1)
- - Catapult Engaged (0/1)
- - Crusader Engaged (0/1)
- - Unknown Heavy ‘Mech 2 Engaged (0/1)

I assume as long as we're shooting at them, they're engaged. We should probably make sure we're putting shots at all of them. Seems like it's going to be how we keep them distracted. It might be better for the Hoplite and I to be shooting at the Dragon and Stalker? I'm not 100% that I can get shots on the Dragon from 1316, which I think is as far as I can go if I run.

Reading that I'd fallen through the ice scared the hell out of me but I guess it wasn't so bad. Pushing someone through thin ice should still be fun if we get the chance.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

I've got the Dragon pinged unless I break through ice.

oh, I misread your through-the-ice contingencies as though they were the primary orders. OK, I should almost certainly keep after the Stalker then.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Volmarias posted:

That base isn't nearly flared enough

it's got the little arms

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Battlemaster

after drawing some additional lines, I think 1316 might not have LOS to the Stalker, so I'll push to the low woods in 1215 instead and then shoot the Stalker with the PPCs.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I also loved the original Marauder, even the weird winged one on the Decision at Thunder Rift cover (for the second edition I think?)

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

vorebane posted:

We should be sure to coordinate to some degree so we're hitting all four enemy mechs. I've got my lrm15 toward the stalker, and am unloading into heavy 2.

I think we're good. The primary target list, just from what I've seen in-thread, is as follows:

Battlemaster (me): Stalker
Hoplite (AJ_Impy): Dragon
Ostsol (Painedforever): Crusader
Rifleman (Z the IVth): Catapult

and you're also shooting at the Stalker and Dragon. So that's all covered.

propatriamori fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 16, 2024

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

vorebane posted:

Aight, I wasn't sure. I want to note, Im inside my min range for the LRM15, so i dont think i am actually putting effective fire downrange to the stalker.

I don't think I've been playing particularly well so far, so take this with an enormous grain of salt, but have you considered firing at the Catapult? It's a lucky hit away from losing half of its long-range punch, so missiles / multiple weapons give us more chances to hit that left arm.

I think the other end of that is that the Dragon and Stalker are good targets to double-up on in case there's more thin ice near where Impy and I are and we one / both of us falls below the ridgeline and doesn't manage to engage. I don't feel like the odds of that are particularly high, but that's just a wild-rear end guess.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

That cockpit 3-eye design :allears:

It's giving me weirdly Iron-Giant-like vibes. I don't think that's exactly the robot I'm thinking of, but something along that Art Deco Robot Design line. And happy!

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I think Puma has oscillated between "tiny Daishi" and "camouflaged as a barn" in the art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Playing this has made me want to get one of these Dougram Bigfoot kits
https://www.amazon.com/Good-Smile-Dougram-Combat-Armors/dp/B0BRSN2FK4

I have the teeny plastic Battlemaster that came with Battletech 3E too, but I've never felt up to trying to paint those.