Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Oooh, looking forwards to the fresh start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Uh, wow. WOW.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
For now no real need to go anywhere. Folks can train, swap mechs, or focus on healing.

Without knowing if there's a period for rest needed in game mechanics if done, I think that training is the best bet for now. Hopefully the pirate will recover and he can be interrogated - but if he was just a grunt he may not have much useful to say.

So without knowing how 'downtime' things work here I think training is best to help long term.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, go down with your mechs here.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
In theory presuming Goonlance can retreat guess this makes this engagement a draw with a light edge for being able to inflict some kills on the pirates and disengage?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Well done Goonswarm! The best fight is one you can run/jump jet away from!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Agree with things so far - there's circumstantial evidence, but nothing definitive. We've had a few skirmishes and have some intel, but we need solid stuff. This is leads, but we don't have a smoking SRLM launcher.

Stay here and keep on pushing and see what we find. The injured pilot will hopefully wake up and give us something useful. The Raven pilot surrendered and should be treated appropriately. There's no reason to seize her mech unless she's clearly hostile - I dunno what our exact rules of warfare are when it comes to this sort of thing.

We're a formal military unit, not mercenaries. We follow what the rules are and what honor dictates.

NOt sure why we're required to repair/refit a mech that was hostile to us, but ultimately that comes down to regulations. I have no idea of the effectiveness of the various proposed refits so abstaining on them.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wait, someone has a 95 ton Mech that.. Okay, I was going to say 'can walk upright' but then I saw the 'flaws' list..

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwarsd to watching! I haven't the faintest clue on how to play so won't ever be doing piloting duties! And hey, if you do well here you might get another dropship!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Go Goonlance go!

How would they qualify as capturing the Battlemaster's cockpit intact?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
If they get two separate melee attacks on it in the same round, could they treat it like a Thanksgiving wishbone?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
If you could have a medium mech get into melee with hte Battlemaster, could you try and Wishbone it and yank off the limbs?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So for story purposes providing GoonLance wins he can presumed to have ejected or if his mech isn't exploding can be in the piloting module?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice shooting there! Shame about both failed secondary goals, but that's always a risk.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
A properly repaired assault mech will be a big boon yeah.

Just not sure if there's gonna be enough info here to accomplish the long term strategic objective. Info's needed on the fake SLDF, and while skirmishes have given them several casualties, there's no significant information so far gained on them.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Also the Hammermaster is marked as disabled rather than dead! So maybe the Colonel lives, even if his mech is Kentucky Fried.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Great job Goonlance! I think /technically/ none of you got destroyed here. Admittedly the techs probably won't see it that way...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I will be extremely disappointed if /anyone/ votes against seizing the Dropship.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Given the plan involves rushing the field to get to the dropship /before/ it can gun everyone down, having more time to not be in the killzone is a good thing.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

glwgameplayer posted:

That's a problem that shows up somewhat traditionally in the Battletech games. The fact that most battles are technically small-scale skirmishes of lance-on-lance action, when in the lore it's not uncommon for there to be combined arms, sides of different sizes and weight class, objectives other than "kill them all."

It's a lot harder to find a use for artillery, anti-aircraft weapons, and anti-infantry weapons when the average battle is 4 mechs on both sides, on a map large enough to comfortably fit on a table.

I still remember watching the glory that was the Clans establishing artillery doctrine in Poptart's last thread.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So is this a good start to things (admittedly two turns in)?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So do they qualify as Veritechs or not?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It's a start! You've got the assault teams boarding!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So with the APC destroyed is trying to swarm the dropship still possible or not?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nicely played Goonswarm! Dropship beachhead established and you seem like you're crunching down the perimeter!

If all goes well maybe this aftermath we'll have some useful info to send back!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

propatriamori posted:

As soon as we have control of the Dropship we should probably broadcast on their comms to surrender. Maybe we'll save a cockpit or two that way.

Plus, intact electronics might have more info in them even if the Dropship computers are wiped. And pilots will probably know more than foot soldiers.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It going to be possible to get useful intel from some of the mech computers if cockpits can be taken intact as salvage?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nicely played! Were any of the cockpits taken intact? Or any officer POW's taken? You need folks you can interrogate as well as electronics! Looking forwards to seeing the AAR here. Nicely played Goonlance. At the very least the Clans will call a captured Dropship a nice piece of work.

And you've probably ended the fake SDLF operations in the area.

Two enemy mechs got away but they'll have limited range unless they have another base in the area.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 25, 2024

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nicely done Goons! And yay for more possible employees!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

propatriamori posted:

I know we're basically only able to do this because we had the mandate of the SLDF to support the locals in the first place and broadly won them over by being helpful after their local BattleMechs bit it, but all this "are we hiring" talk just has me imagining if a merc unit had pulled this plan off and captured a fake-SLDF DropShip. And not just fake-SLDF, but well-equipped fake-SLDF. What a wild thing it'd be.

I have no idea what we'll do with it as SLDF, aside from crawl over it for evidence of what's going on.

Honestly I think capturing a dropship reasonably intact would make the SLDF very happy with us and give us a bit wider of a leash for the investigation. Getting a new, significant piece of military infrastructure equipment will make the boss rather happy and hopefully give us a resupply and an extension of our mandate.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Given that the salvage is still extremely expensive, and can still be used even if it's just as spares for other machines, I imagine the SLDF still wants a crack at any choice salvage first. They can always auction off the stuff later if they want to. I can also see local commands deciding that perhaps salvage can simplify their supply train in many areas.

I'm guessing there will be some level of vote on things for what the locals want/what we give them/barter with them. I'm pretty sure we (likely) don't have the personnel to man a second dropship beyond a skeleton crew if even. Hopefully we could at least put a crew in place to hold the fort/send it back home to exchange for goodies down the line - I also can't see the SLDF liking it remotely if we let a group of townies on an ice planet have a pretty major piece of logistics infrastructure that don't even field mechs, just crewed vehicles.

Speaking way far ahead here (and likely totally wrong) I'm guessing we'll have to vote on making a deal with the locals for what they want out of the things we disabled, then whether to send the dropship back 'home' with the promise of things down the line for it or giving it to the locals to have for a much bigger share/selling it to someone else on the planet for a payout.

Given we're Clanners rather than Mercs I'd think that we'd likely try and keep it and send it 'back' but that's kinda a bit far ahead.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Well yes but in -theory- we're not privateers! We're freelance troubleshooters and problem solvers!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Volmarias posted:

... I thought we were in the SLDF, not freelancers? Are you thinking of the other battletech thread?

Prize money was also awarded to military members for captures, not just to privateers.

I stand corrected! Was thinking given we were using the cover of mercenaries. More you know!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good going GoonLance on completing the campaign objectives!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

I love artillery but I’m not sure how well it fits with the way we’re trying to operate

Remember the previous thread where the Clan (I think Jade Falcons) developed artillery doctrine and took out twice thier number of veterans with almost no losses beyond drones?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So obviously the point is artillery is awesome.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Artificer posted:

Are we gonna be able to revamp the SLDF's rotten cancerous core or are we gonna watch the loving Clanners rise again and humanity nuke itself back into the stone age?

Depends on the thread but for the moment we seems a recon in force group that's impressed our bosses enough to be given a bit more leeway and specialized kit in prosecuting objectives rather than major political players. So not necessarily seeing us have a chance to make a major internal impact on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Agreeing with TheParadigm