Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019
The unidentified light is a Falcon - the rear-facing MGs are pretty distinctive - FLC-4N.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

glwgameplayer posted:

Mongoose

So, I know it's risky. But I think I'm going to do as I said and attack the Battlemaster point-blank from the back. I think between the two of us we can either finish it or cripple it, and since we're attacking from the back we won't damage the head.

You can hit the head exactly as much from the back as you can from the front - it's always a 12 on the hit location tables (except for punches and kicks).

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

Volmarias posted:

I suspect Stackpole writes a lot of things that aren't actually canon, such as fusion engines exploding (or Stackpoling, as it were)

From a practical perspective, there are things you need to do with weight and balance to make landing assist retro rockets reasonable. If you're willing to accept "the mech falls on its rear end starting 5 meters above the ground, and cannot be steered or controlled until then" it's probably doable, but at that point just use a chute.

Mech drop packs are absolutely canon, and in use well prior to this timeframe.

From Tactical Operations:
introduced: 2457 (Terran Hegemony)
The BattleMech jump pack was developed to give jump-incapable BattleMechs a surprise edge in the early stages of battle, to help them cross particularly difficult terrain features, or to deploy them in combat drops.
Essentially an externally mounted, self-contained jump jet backpack, the system enables an otherwise ground-bound ’Mech to make a single full-length jump (or a few shorter jumps) in a pinch.
A ’Mech may carry only one Jump Pack of any desired weight. The additional weight is treated as externally carried cargo (see BattleMech Lifting Capabilities, p. 261, TW).

From Strategic Operations:
’Mechs, ProtoMechs, battle armor, WiGE Vehicles and vehicles with Jumping MP may make atmospheric drops. If a unit than can mount jump jets does not mount jump jets, it may either mount disposable jump jets (which automatically jettison upon touchdown; see ’Mech Jump Pack/’Mech Drop Pack, p. 292, TO) or a Vehicular/Battle Armor Dropchute;

smdvogrin fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 26, 2024