Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Anybody an extreme nerd like me and play in the community band? I played in our local concert band and jazz band throughout middle school and high school along side what i played in school. The jazz band would play old fashioned dance music for old folks and the rare young swing dancer that was into it enough to come to these things. Some of those old folks were pretty spry. Anyway i moved away and didn't do it for 7 years but then i started with the local one here last year. It's actually really fun and nostalgic for me to play in a concert band and I'm actually starting to get decent at it again. It gives me incentive to practice.

The band in my area is really pretty good, i think it's partly because this is a big retirement place. It's mostly old people that still enjoy concert band music. I'm one of the younger people in it and I'm in my thirties. This is one of the songs we played this spring. It was pretty hard though we didn't take it quite as fast as this. We have over 100 members which is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDIkhOgztzc

If you have ever thought it would be fun to go back and play an instrument you played as a youngster, or want to learn a brass or woodwinds instrument or percussion you should look into if you have a local band. They vary in quality/difficulty of the music but generally should be very friendly to newbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

good job becoming part of your community, very impressive for a forums poster!

i didn't enjoy playing in the school band and haven't kept up with any musical instruments since my teen years. i do get the urge to pull out a keyboard or get a guitar again sometimes to just tinker around for fun, but it seems daunting to relearn everything, and there are so many other things competing for my time

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

I played tenor saxophone in high school. I was never good enough (or have the confidence) to be in the community band. I have dreams where I'm in Band again and I don't remember how to play. Somedays I think about picking it up again.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i dont know how to play anything but slapping my clammy feet against the floor