Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

In the scene where Dave (Sandler)first attends Dr. Rydell (Jack Nicholson)'s anger management class, Dr. Rydell asks Dave to tell the group "who he is."

Dave first responds by talking about his career, to which Dr. Rydell responds that he wants Dave to tell them who he is, not what his job is. That's reasonable.

Dave then describes a little bit of his personality before launching into a discussion of his hobbies. Dr. Rydell also rejects this, stating that he wants to know who Dave is, not what his hobbies are. I can also understand this.

So Dave, starting to appear a little agitated, starts to describe his personality. Dr. Rydell again interrupts him, saying that Dave is describing his personality, not who he is.

I love this movie, it's hilarious and a true feel good story. But I always get lost here. What was the correct way for Dave to answer? What is "who we are" if not our personality? What would a good answer to this question look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm angrily gay

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
The whole point was to make you ask yourself that very question.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm angrily gay

I'm sorry. I'm happily gay. I hope you can be like me someday. :)

Being gay is great! There's nothing about it that should make you angry, except perhaps the actions of intolerant persons towards your homosexuality.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Didn't you just post an affirmative action thread

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I haven't seen the movie since it came out so I can't really remember but it seems pretty counter productive to gently caress someone about like that in an anger management class of all places. Maybe that was the point?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

I don't believe so, no. The decision by the Supreme Court of the United States was just handed down today and this is the first thread I've posted on the SA forums hence.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

That was wizard master op

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dreadful film

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i'm sorry about your incorrect opinion

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Uncut jaaaahms

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

“I am a rageaholic” is the correct answer, OP; Dave would have received a standing ovation and been told he could go home, as he’d already passed the class.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You could sell these threads for 10 a penny

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i haven't seen it op, you should've posted this in the adam sandler subforum instead of in gbs where a bunch of us haven't seen it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Chrs posted:

I haven't seen the movie since it came out so I can't really remember but it seems pretty counter productive to gently caress someone about like that in an anger management class of all places. Maybe that was the point?

It was. The movie's message was basically "we're gonna help this guy express negative emotions in healthy ways" or that seemed to be the intent. What actually happens tho is the whole thing is a series of setups to enrage the dude until he snaps and "stands up for himself". Things like staying him being sued, his girlfriend cheating on him, etc etc.

If it reflected modern day life it probably would have ended with him shooting up his workplace and doing the classic murder/suicide with his girlfriend and the psych.

The real message of the movie is that if you're being bullied and ridiculed that's actually them helping you I guess. It's kind of messed up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the main message of Anger Management is that it is a movie with Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler, doing Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler things.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This is a movie about gang stalking and should've ended with him murdering his doctor and his girlfriend for setting the whole thing up.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This was a conspiracy to commit targeted harassment and they all should've found out after they'd hosed around.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
It doesn’t pay to overthink Adam Sandler movies.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lmao that someone watched Anger Management and was like "we should rip off this completely mediocre and forgettable movie" and then made School for Scoundrels

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
A mainstream movie that depicts mental struggles and emphasizes a buddy support system, group work, and self-evaluation is pretty good for an early 2000’s comedy.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
rudy guiliani

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

i haven't seen it op, you should've posted this in the adam sandler subforum instead of in gbs where a bunch of us haven't seen it

Don't come in here and lie. It is known that all gbs posters have an encyclopedic knowledge of Adam Sandler movies, and in fact this forum exists largely as a result of Adam's contributions to film.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I still chuckle at the phrase "fat poo poo cat" sometimes.

Not the best movie otherwise.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

That was wizard master op

Pencilhands, Wizard master, duck and cover.

All horribly boring and annoying peas in the same stupid pod

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Saalkin posted:

All horribly boring and annoying peas in the same stupid pod

dont sign your posts

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

pencilhands posted:

dont sign your posts

Medic!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

Love those guys

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Love those guys

The original power trio

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
OP, buddy was trying to guage his anger reponse and threshold by giving him a simple question without clear parameters, telling him hes answering wrong, then asking the same question again without clarification

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rydell was just trying to get Dave really angry OP. He's an anger management counselor. He doesn't get paid if the people don't have anger management issues. So he's got to amplify their anger. I truly hope that helps.

A counselor doesn't get paid if they actually cure you of the thing. They only get paid if they can keep counseling you OP.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 30, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I want the spiritual sequel.

Hanger Management

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Rydell was just trying to get Dave really angry OP.

This is the answer.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Adam Sandler only has two emotions, weird guy and angry yelling guy. They wrote a movie around that simple fact.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

Adam Sandler only has two emotions, weird guy and angry yelling guy. They wrote a movie around that simple fact.

They also usually include some kind of fast food product placement MacGuffin.

Little Nikki had Popeyes, while Happy Gilmore had Subway, and Mr Deeds had everyone visit a Wendy's

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Extra Large Marge posted:

They also usually include some kind of fast food product placement MacGuffin.

Little Nikki had Popeyes, while Happy Gilmore had Subway, and Mr Deeds had everyone visit a Wendy's

didn't 8 crazy nights have the climax be a musical scene set in a mall where the product placements from every store come to life and solve adam sandler's issues?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

RavenousScoot posted:

didn't 8 crazy nights have the climax be a musical scene set in a mall where the product placements from every store come to life and solve adam sandler's issues?

I eagerly awaited the release of this movie and went through some trouble to make sure I saw it in theaters. I'm pretty sure you're kidding but can't be sure because I remember nothing from this movie other than Adam Sandler saying "poopcicle". I can remember more from movies that I watched on mushrooms.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Anal Famishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

RavenousScoot posted:

"Davey spends the rest of the day binge drinking, and that night, he breaks into the closed mall. In his drunken stupor, he imagines the logos of various stores coming to life and confronting him about his inability to grieve, which they identify as the source of his alcoholism."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Crazy_Nights

Holy gently caress.