Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
In the Grim Darkness of the 41st Millenium, there is only war, and war, war never changes.....
Wait, I went a but wrong there.

Welcome to Chaos Gate, Demon Hunters, a Warhammer 40k X-Com like game where I shall take control of a group of Grey Knights, an elite force of psychic genetically enhanced killing machines who do the jobs to difficult for the normal 8 foot tall genetically enhanced killing machines that are the normal space marines.

Feeling good, may exterminatus your world later

Unlike a lot of these games, my guys will be very capible, and will make short work of the enthusiastic but terrible cultists – but of course, over time, we will run into more difficult and demonic foes.

This is the Baleful Edit, our rather battered home from home, acting as both transport and base, the Edict is a two kilometre long starship who will be upgraded and repaired as we continue down the campaign.

We will also be conducting research into the threat.

So, lets get to a video! First up, this is a fairly hard game, so to give me a chance of completing it, I'm going to wuss out and play on Merciful mode. (easy difficulty) – I've got 25 hours in the game, but I'm not the confident on my skills.

Let's get the turorial and first bits of story underway!

The boss is dead, and I've been put in charge by this guy.

Honestly, I feel like Ectar here should be in charge, but I'm not going to turn down power when its in my grasp.
Me, feeling the corrupting inluence of chaos. NEVER!

Lunette, our sarcastic and long suffering engineer has to fix everything I break.

And how can we forget our extremely confident and overdramatic inquisitor “friend?”

We have a fair chunk of repairs to do!

So we have a choice of three missions, and we can only reach one of them – I'm going to discount the one that has a lesser reward, so do we go for.....

Xipha, which would double the number of servitors we have for repairing the ship.

Or Fides, and a grimoire that will give us a 20% boost to research for the rest of the game!

Both are very useful, but which should I choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lobotomize 15 people, by which I mean Xipha

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Xipha ABC: Always Be Chanting.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Fides
Not!SCIENCE
Hm. Unnatural philosophy and daemon study?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oh good, we already have an Inquisitor along for the ride! That means it's already screwed up and she can't just intrude halfway through to screw up what was going perfectly fine. That takes a lot of pressure off.

I'd say hit Xipha since that seems like the servitors would be good for getting on your feet faster earlier in the game, which is currently a priority over what would be admittedly a very useful game-long research boost. I could be argued to change my vote, though, especially if I'm misunderstanding our priorities.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Get basics built up first. Getting the engines up and running means more missions means more research books later

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Xipha because servitors are good right?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I remember saying this when the first gameplay trailers came out, and I'll say it again - these grenades are quite incredible if they can go off with the safety lever still in position.

Also, I would say more lobotomized slaves are ideal. Xipha is my vote.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 1, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fides, so I can make a bunch of Fideez nuts jokes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Anything that puts Grey closer to the big shiny Exterminatus button, we gotta blow up a planet by the time the LP is over.

Samovar posted:

I remember saying this when the first gameplay trailers came out, and I'll say it again - these grenades are quite incredible if they can go off with the safety lever still in position.

Would you trust the average meathead Space Marine to learn how properly handle safety pins/levers? The grenades clearly have a proximity Chaos-detecting fuze.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Omobono posted:

Would you trust the average meathead Space Marine to learn how properly handle safety pins/levers? The grenades clearly have a proximity Chaos-detecting fuze.

No, wait, I've got it. The marines throw the grenades so hard the impact against the target knocks the lever off, causing said grenade to explode! Genius!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Episode 2 sees us learn some more about the vile nurgle threat - and of course smash our way through some more cultists and pox walkers.

The next choice is where to focus the lovely 100% boosted construction we got - on making the ship go faster, or boosting our research - or maybe one of the other projects that I forgot to take screenshots of!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Red Grey wunz go faster, Upgrade the engines!

When will the forces of Nurgle stop using these poxy proxies and send us something proper tough to fight?

Also, I don't know if I love or hate Lunete's design.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Improve the engines. Going faster clearly means being able to get to more missions before the timers run out, which means being able to shoot more gribbly things in their dumb faces.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

We gotta go faster with improved engines. I think that with a speed boost you could have hit two missions before the timer expired in that last batch.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh I picked this up, but I haven't got around to playing it.

Is the DLC a good idea?

I heard, this was a while ago, it wasn't a good idea unless you really know what you're doing. Because the Dreadnought repair/upgrade stuff took resources away from ship buffing, and the campaign wasn't balanced to account for that.

Is that still a thing or did they patch that?

I know the dreadnought can only be used in certain missions, that's fine.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Go for Engines

Because if we get to places faster, it menas we get more loot/XP, and have a little better chance of slowing the cascade of corruption stuff that will make everything harder.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Full speed ahead, let's go engines. And on the subject of speed, wow, the bloom mechanic really forces you to go fast. Looks like the enemy gets a buff every 4 turns or so? Seems pretty harsh.
I feel like i'm blind, where in the combat UI does it show you a unit's AP?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

Full speed ahead, let's go engines. And on the subject of speed, wow, the bloom mechanic really forces you to go fast. Looks like the enemy gets a buff every 4 turns or so? Seems pretty harsh.
I feel like i'm blind, where in the combat UI does it show you a unit's AP?

AP is the number on the left inside their outlier.

And yeah, speed is good for most of these missions - I need to show of Terminator armour, but it slows the guys down, I'm also not having to use many physic powers atm - but when I do, things are going to spike faster.
They do have a limited number of reinforcements - 2 atm, but that will get more.

As I said, there is a reason I'm playing this on merciful!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Chaos marines make their first apperance as we begin to learn more of the threat - and our speedy upgrade means we can get two missions in this cycle!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The weedy cultists being able to smash down giant metal doors is... Uh, very unintentionally silly.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

How do legs work ?

There's something charmingly janky about all these Warhammer games. Much like Black Library fiction, they don't have to be the highest quality as long as they deliver the experience.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So, the main question this time is do I hit up the story mission, or level up my guys some more?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Level Up Until you fear exterminatus...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Level up. And that's a lot of kills.

Also story missions tend to dump a lot nastier baddies on you, so no sense to rush it unless you need to thematically.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Sure, leveling up a bit sounds good. Especially if you can keep the Bloom's spread under control without plot missions.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I'd tentatively guess that the meta of the game will escalate soon as you do the plot mission. So unless you have to beeline to get it done, get your A and B squads decently kitted out.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
my biggest complaint with this game is that the eventual step up from cultists feels like it's too weak a step up. yeah sure we're purpose built engines designed to defeat them and all but c'mon, give them a little bit more juice

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I’ve been told to level up, so level up I do - though it does lead to a lot of wounded knights!
The video ends with more choices of future missions!

Quantum III has the ever useful servitors, but may be a little to far away to get two missions in!

+1 Requisition is one of the poorer rewards.

2 Grimours would be a 60% boot in research!

I’m doing a good job of keeping the corruption in check, and I’m happy with how the game is going so far!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Double Mission, Loria if that isn't possible Don't remember no critical hits, but do it now while you aren't throwing them around with skills every turn.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

habituallyred posted:

Double Mission, Loria if that isn't possible

This sounds like a good plan. Those research boosts might be more important than I realized if the Inquisitor is going to get cranky and tank the research pace that easily.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

habituallyred posted:

Double Mission, Loria if that isn't possible

Yeah, if our Inquisitrix is going to get cranky this often, we want to make sure we have other options.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another couple of good missions under my belt, and some good wargear is coming in!

But now I have a hard choice is a hard choice

The vaccine mission is running out of time, then I would have to reroute to a mission in a warp storm.

But on the other side of the sector, there is world that I have let the bloom get out of control on, and it’s threatening to fire spores off into other worlds!

I can’t do both sets of missions, so I’ll have to leave the choice to you guys!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Vaccine and Warp mission Going through a warp storm sucks! its great

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

habituallyred posted:

Vaccine and Warp mission Going through a warp storm sucks! its great

I've listened to your Rogue Trader games, time for you to suffer what you put your players through.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

disposablewords posted:

I've listened to your Rogue Trader games, time for you to suffer what you put your players through.

Well, that's game over then!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Agree on Vaccine and warp

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Some more good missions, and I think it’s time to take on the craftworld - but what should I pick up as my next construction project?

I still have a prognosticar in reserve, so this may well be low priority.

Fast wound healing is never bad.

Neither is letting our marines meditate for more XP!

Then again, who can say no to more, better marines?

Or more research speed?

Or is getting all of the above 50% quicker the way to go?

While they don’t help up much in the battles, better guns and void sheilds would help in a lot of the random events.

Finally, what about the ability to straight up kill a planet?

Hmmm, choices!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Use your Prgonosticators! okay maybe save them for after the craftworld, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Up your construction speed. The faster you can build stuff the faster we can get better engines the faster we can put pointy sticks into gross dudes