Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3rXyc36x_0

Struggling artists Kan and Shingo are offered the chance of a lifetime when a big time producer promises to make them stars in just one week. Thus begins the meteoric rise of the Stardust Brothers! But success turns out to not be all it's cracked up to be, and these so-called brothers may not be stardust at all, but just regular dust.

In 1980, musician Haruo Chikada wrote an album titled The Legend of the Stardust Brothers, presented as the soundtrack for a movie that didn't exist. A few years later, Makoto Tezuka, eldest son of "godfather of manga" Osamu Tezuka, decided to actually make the movie that the album was a soundtrack to. It was Tezuka's first full length feature film, he cast his friends as the stars and pulled some strings to get celebrity cameos from such cultural luminaries as Jun Togawa, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, and Monkey Punch, and the movie loving flopped so hard it basically stopped existing.

Some time later, The Legend of the Stardust Brothers was rediscovered, and people realized it actually kicks rear end. Similar to The Evil Dead or Rocky Horror Picture Show, TLotSB bursts with a kind of amateur exuberance. At all times the movie is striving to be entertaining, with wild practical effects and unique and weird visuals. A standard rock and roll business story becomes an irreverent hallucinogenic kaleidoscopic ride.

I've never done this MotM thing, it's not really my bag, but frankly I'm sick and tired of not being able to make Legend of the Stardust Brothers references. You people, of anyone, should have seen this movie before, this is exactly the kind of movie that should be in CineD canon. This is entirely up your alley. Even if you don't like it, you will not regret having watched it. Just watch it. Watch the movie. Watch The Legend of the Stardust Brothers.

It can be watched for free on Tubi
https://tubitv.com/movies/646274/the-legend-of-the-stardust-brothers?start=true&tracking=google-feed&utm_source=google-feed

And you can purchase a physical copy from the good people at SRS Cinema
https://srscinemastore.com/products/legend-of-the-stardust-brothers-the-blu-ray?_pos=1&_sid=00db7d19d&_ss=r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Just finished watching on Tubi and I've never posted on a MotM thread so I'm hoping I'm doing this right.

loving hell that was incredible!!!! I love me some psychedelic music movies - Interstella 5555, Wild Zero, and Zachariah are three of my favorite movies ever, Burst City is one I deeply respect, and I love Phantom of the Paradise as well...which the musicians and filmmakers obviously do too.

Hard to pick down a favorite part, but it's probably tied between the sequence where they get their new back stories and sell their soul in a song about getting an inoffensive number one hit that appeals to the masses, the phenomenal dream sequence which is so good it almost would play as a horror movie, or the hilarious Scooby-Doo chase scene that ends with them finding out that Hitler is behind it all. The ending is also stunning, beautiful and haunting. Incredible costumes, absolute slappers on the soundtrack, a deep and dark and exuberant satirical story about what you have to destroy of yourself as an artist, all wrapped up in a movie that is both deeply unique and clearly lovingly inspired by the aforementioned Phantom Of The Paradise. To Winslow Leach indeed.

Incredible practical effects and wild setpieces. I watched The Man Who Fell To Earth the other day, knowing it was a movie where David Bowie was an alien, and found myself ultimately disappointed by a lot of it as it never seemed to be as surreal and beautiful as the promise of a Bowie-lead film was. This movie scratched that itch for me. I keep thinking about little parts I absolutely loved. The way from the word go where everyone in the bar except the Stardust Brothers were in black-and-white. The Mario Kart teleportation car. The entire hilarious chase scene. The initial meeting with the record producer. The gay reveal?! The men in black who all resembled the Blues Brothers?!?!

Yeah this absolutely kicked rear end. I think I'm gonna have to buy the physical. I love movies that use energetic sequences to hammer home dark stories and aren't afraid to understand that humor can be part and parcel of it all. Thanks for recommending this; it was exactly my poo poo.

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men
How family-friendly is this movie? Sounds like an awesome, ansurd movie to make my whole family watch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'd say its pretty family friendly. There's a scene with some monsters and some scenes of brief violence. Most of the movie is just goofy songs and some looney tunes style humor though. Also your kids should be able to read the subs haha.

I really enjoyed this. It was a great motm pick. Very absurd, the music is solid too. There's a brief animated sequence that was super cool. Absolutely wild ending. The Bowie knock off for a villain had me lolin.

Pretty neat seeing a movie about how manufactured the music/pop culture industry is that isn't about America's specifically.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I love the Stardust Brothers, it played on the 2019 Japan Cuts film festival as a throwback film and even had an interview with the director who was flown out for the screening. He said when it gained cult status 20 years after he completely abandoned film because of how bad it originally flopped he thought about doing a sequel with the same cast but pretend it was the next day but it fell through. Probably hard to write your way out of the ending though.

They used the chase song in the festival's promo reel and to this day it will get randomly stuck in my head but it's fine because I love it.

Whole theater absolutely lost it at the Hitler reveal

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I lost it too lol

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This was pretty fun. Solid music with some goofy lyrics to go with goofy antics and chases. It follows the standard rise/fall aspect of fame, but it’s all silly and lol that ending.

Maybe a bit on the longer than it needed to be, but ends strongly with a chase, party, and stars.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh yeah and costumes and visuals are great with some fantastic sets. Gotta love the dream.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

huh

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5254212/?ref_=tt_mv_close

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did finally get around to seeing this!

It's a memorable experience, I felt the start was a little slow but that's also just sorta the time it takes to acclimate yourself to the film's overall vibe. I like how despite it clearly being a low-budget film it has some quite impressive stuff going on, most of it is on the cutting edge of what you'd see on MTV in 1985. (As mentioned, the blend of color and black and white in the opening number is legitimately really cool and seems to have taken some tricky rotoscoping.) Some cool monsters in the one horror-esque number too. I think there's also some influence here from Pink Floyd's The Wall- Shingo goes through the whole Comfortably Numb bit and is pushed on stage via stimulants, with different-but-still-disastrous results. A little long, and inevitably some of the humor/satire doesn't fully translate, but yeah I'm glad this got rediscovered.

Also dang Marimo is adorable.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I think, having slept on it, that the real strength of the movie is that every time you think you've nailed down the rhythm of what's going on and think you've figured it out, that's the moment it throws something completely loving insane at you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think, having slept on it, that the real strength of the movie is that every time you think you've nailed down the rhythm of what's going on and think you've figured it out, that's the moment it throws something completely loving insane at you.

This is the real magic of this awesome flick. I love it! Also it doesn't look nearly as cheap as it was in reality, like if The Apple was Actually Good.

Seeing this thread made me curious what the runtime was so I looked it up on IMDB real quick and apparently Tezuka actually did do a sequel like he talked about in 2016? Had no idea this existed:

Has a weirdly high IMDB rating but is apparently just sort of okay, I'll have to check it out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Great movie! A bigger reveal than Hitler for me was finding out that this was directed by Osamu Tezuka’s son!

Really wild energy and pacing to this- it’s a little too bonkers to have mass appeal, it almost resists being sutcherable. The horror manga dream sequence is a standout scene on par with the climax of Viy, though! Worth it for that alone, even if there’s plenty else to like.