Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

fermun posted:

We also might eventually get that Hockey Canada report which will give us some villains.

Been wondering lately, what is an appropriate punishment for the NHLers involved? A suspension kind of seems like a joke considering the crime, but I doubt the league/NHLPA would approve a lifetime ban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Dirty Burger posted:

Been wondering lately, what is an appropriate punishment for the NHLers involved? A suspension kind of seems like a joke considering the crime, but I doubt the league/NHLPA would approve a lifetime ban

The union can't even get a reasonable escrow rate, no way that can block anything from the Hockey Canada tbinf

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Huggybear posted:

And question, obviously Pettersson not getting the C is because he hasn't re-signed. What are the odds that the fixes to the PK and a proper backup get the Canucks into the playoffs?

e: Allvin - "Regarding Tyler Myers, we have no intention of moving him"

so not good

Betting odds say 40% ish, and that’s probably about right.

I’d say what matters more than if Myers is on the team or not, is are Hughes/Hronek/Cole/Soucy a viable top 4. If the answer is yes then whoever of Myers or the numerous bottom pair/fringe nhl defenders they have are playing 14 minutes in sheltered competition shouldn’t matter that much. In such a scenario Myers might even impress. (I feel that role/quality of competition for defenders is one of the hardest to project and the current stats often don’t tell the story that well). Which is equally why expecting Soucy to be a viable top 4 guy is not a given.

If Myers is playing 20 minutes… then yes it’s going to be a train wreck.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

They will be forced to re-enter the draft and get taken by Montreal

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Huggybear posted:

sports drinks are so overdone. I was a distance runner for years and nothing beats sweet iced tea because it does everything sports drinks do but it also has caffeine, a known and proven PED (flat coke is nauseating). The second ingredient in everything is sugar, big surprise

This is the truth. I also enjoy hot tea for long days of the exercise. I just get my sugar in other methods in that case.

Chicago was always going to be the villain of the year anyway. Getting to draft Bedard should never have happened.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Huggybear posted:

sports drinks are so overdone. I was a distance runner for years and nothing beats sweet iced tea because it does everything sports drinks do but it also has caffeine, a known and proven PED (flat coke is nauseating). The second ingredient in everything is sugar, big surprise

And question, obviously Pettersson not getting the C is because he hasn't re-signed. What are the odds that the fixes to the PK and a proper backup get the Canucks into the playoffs?

e: Allvin - "Regarding Tyler Myers, we have no intention of moving him"

so not good

The best sweet ice tea is Gold Peak raspberry. Blueberry went away during the pandemic, and lemon is only available in Canada. Also, the Canadian version is less sweet/sugary than the American version.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bring back OG 4Loko and give it to kids as 'sports nutrition'

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Diet Crack posted:

Bring back OG 4Loko and give it to kids as 'sports nutrition'

That's what those Prime drinks are minus the malt liquor

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Listening to pressers from the Canadian GMs on sportsnet and it’s embarrassing that these guys still think just making the playoffs is the goal.

Jim Rutherford posted:

With the changes that we’ve made…if everything goes right, we have a playoff team

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Chad Sexington posted:

That's what those Prime drinks are minus the malt liquor

Prime is distilled sugar and Paul Brothers semen. Fanboys can't gullet enough of it

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Preseason previews are here. They start posting 2 a day until the season starts, from worst to first.

Enjoy a new, re vamped fancy but also somewhat unreadable stats chart

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I assume the length of the bar is how charged their special attack meter is?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
don't buy it, Olen Zellweger's greatness can't be captured in some stupid line.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Are the games played a projection also? Because that’s super optimistic for injury prone guys - I.E Monahan.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I like how Connor Bedard is completely cancelled out by the husks of Nick Foligno and Corey Perry

eXXon posted:

I assume the length of the bar is how charged their special attack meter is?

All hail our new overlord.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

David Alter on Twitter posted:

First 10 minutes of practice has been skating drills. Most notable is that the trio of Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner is skating together in one of the drills.

That’s good!

David Alter on Twitter posted:

Another is Knies-Tavares-Lafferty.

That’s bad.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koopa Kid posted:

That’s good!

That’s bad.

Does this mean they’re rolling with Nylander at 3C? lol

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Does this mean they’re rolling with Nylander at 3C? lol

Yes, the third line is also cursed

Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Preseason previews are here. They start posting 2 a day until the season starts, from worst to first.

These got even worse!!!! Like what does any of that rando poo poo mean???

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who cares, there are minus symbols and those mean bad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/1704874505578152111

RIP

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

quote:

Percentiles with the bar graphs are based on each player’s Offensive, Defensive and Net Rating relative to their time-on-ice slot, i.e. the first forward is compared to other first forwards only.

For example, the two Sharks goalies have a -2 rating, but for the second goalie, that’s a median goalie. The first goalie with a -2 may be in the bottom 10%.

I have no idea about the veracity of the Ratings themselves, but at least that starts to explain the bars. The Sharks have a decent Bottom 6 and 3rd pair, but that’s only compared to other teams respective players.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

lol how did I forget that Perry went to Chicago

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ohrwurm posted:

lol how did I forget that Perry went to Chicago

Make sure your new #1 prospect doesn’t get killed by a guy? Hire him instead

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1704880714398003449

Build a statue for Jeff Jackson, the Oilers have an actual analytics dept.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1704880714398003449

Build a statue for Jeff Jackson, the Oilers have an actual analytics dept.

I like when Benning started an analytics program and it was just slapping a new title on the team's video editor.

Also lol

quote:

The data is provided by TSN’s Travis Yost who concluded: “If the prize is Gudbranson, well, the prize is something like a third-pairing defenceman. And the premium they paid — a legitimate prospect and multiple picks — is, in a word, inexplicable.”

Thanks for that, Travis. Over to you Jim Benning.

“To be quite honest, I don’t get it sometimes,” said the Canucks GM. “There’s a place for analytics. We use analytics. But you use analytics like vitamins — to help you out, not as your staple.

Decisions have to be made by hockey people who know what winning teams look like and how to build them.

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/willes-canucks-couldnt-care-less-about-analytics-when-it-comes-to-gudbranson

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lol

Parkatti is a friend of a friend and has been working in actual data analytics for quite a while. He's a super smart guy and his blog was great when he'd post once every 3 months on it. From what I've heard they're building a real department cause Jeff Jackson isn't 85 years old and understands what its worth (considering he had a full analytics dept at his agency).

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Does the GM listen to the analytics nerd, or McDavid telling him to sign guys like Duncan Keith or Milan Lucic?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Duckman2008 posted:

I still don't understand if they are saying the offensive rating of a player is actually worth 3-4x more than defensive rating.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
This was an episode of Letterkenny, wasn't it?

ThinkTank posted:

Its business model for a long time was to only sell directly to pro sports franchises, not commerical retail. Presumably as a groundswell marketing thing to create demand. It eventually got sold to some cannabis company and I think they found out too late it wasn't even coming close to breaking even, so tried to ratchet up marketing and get it to shelves for consumers. I saw it in a Walmart once but it didn't last. It's too niche a product and NHL players just aren't cool enough to drive demand. It was basically an Ontario hockey bro exclusive product and could never gain a foothold beyond that.

Jhet posted:

We could get it in hockey adjacent stores here in Seattle, but I never saw it in a convenience store or anywhere else. I wasn't looking for it either. The bottles were second rate for on the bench, but for being just another gatorade, it was fine.

sleep with the vicious posted:

It was expensive as hell. Could have competed in the running/cycling drink market but they focused on hockey bros instead

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/peteblackburn/status/1703869871086276815?s=46&t=445Hll_at5LyPmElLbdnnA

:barf:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why didn't they move the anniversary patch to the shoulder?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Just put it on the crotch for maximum entertainment value. Make refs have to check crotches to make sure they're arguing with an appropriate representative.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

https://twitter.com/EricFrancis/status/1704886909447893294

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Two of the mainstay Devils beat reporters have said Alexander Holtz looks noticeably faster on his skates. He's also a bit leaner.

It's too early to say anything about whether or not Holtz can stick this year, but pushing the pace and having an NHL compete level were two sore spots he needed to work on. If he can skate with the rest of them and fire that cannon, that would be huge for NJ. I'd be happy if Holtz got PP2 time and middle six time and wound up with 20 goals.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Best shape of his life

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ilya Mikheyev has left Canucks training camp for "personal reasons." No other details have been given.

Canucks drama train leaving the station early this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I like when Benning started an analytics program and it was just slapping a new title on the team's video editor.

Also lol

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/willes-canucks-couldnt-care-less-about-analytics-when-it-comes-to-gudbranson

Vitamins is a great analogy because Canucks management in that analogy is definitely the kid that never takes their vitamins unless their parents yell at them

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Vitamins is a great analogy because Canucks management in that analogy is definitely the kid that never takes their vitamins unless their parents yell at them

It's depressing how spot on Travis Yost was. Not that it's surprising, but McCann is now the first line centre of a divisional rival and that 2nd round pick turned into Rasmus Adplund who's the exact type of depth centre the Canucks have been furiously searching for since the trade.

Ah well, at least they turned Gudbranson into Pearson (who might in turn cost us Pettersson).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

It's depressing how spot on Travis Yost was. Not that it's surprising, but McCann is now the first line centre of a divisional rival and that 2nd round pick turned into Rasmus Adplund who's the exact type of depth centre the Canucks have been furiously searching for since the trade.

Ah well, at least they turned Gudbranson into Pearson (who might in turn cost us Pettersson).

And now you have Jim Rutherford who was belligerent about Jack Johnson and insisted that the Pens had their own internal analytics that showed actually no he's not terrible. And then they quietly bought him out and are still experiencing penalties for doing so