Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

They are falling victim to the exact same thing they did last year: believing a strong second final third of the season was the true representation of the team, not the horrendous first two thirds. Thing is that both times they've relied on the ability to score their way out of bigger problems while having star level goaltending. Fool me one etc etc

You are likely right about the mushy middle, the one area that might make a real difference is if the PK can be fixed. Apparently the pickups are mostly good on the PK (I’m not going to pretend I look at the lineups and systems of other teams PK’s), if you can fix the PK to even league average that’s probably 5 games last year they would have won.

Obviously that’s not enough to win a cup, but with a better Demko and good injury luck I think they can make the playoffs.

That’s a lot of ifs to have a 35% chance in a round 1 playoff matchup..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’d like to see the team that signs a bunch of two year deals that are 1mil first year 11mill second year to buy a cup in that first year get bounced by a hot goalie in round 1.

Bonus points if it’s Toronto.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I just looked and Peeke had a Corsi of 38% and a PDO of 95. I maybe watched one Columbus game last season so not like I know, but he’s either an excellent buy low candidate or a future buyout candidate.

So obviously if the Canucks trade for him it will be the later.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Sutter was never a bad player. Just badly overpaid and horribly miscast. Before he got long covid he resigned for $1m and most people were happy with that. I think it's unlikely he can mount any sort of comeback after that though.

It is unfortunate how much as fans our appreciation of a player is tied to how bad the GM was at their job when they signed them.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Spontaneous fighting from two guys who have say max 10 previous fights between them, and who are really pissed at each other are awesome.

Planned fights, even worse if it’s a honouring the code type bullshit between two guys who have more fights than goals are dumb.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Canucks signed Pius Suter at $1.6m x 2 for some reason. Do they really need another mediocre left shot centre?

Yes, mediocre is a decent improvement on bad. Last season the bottom 6 after Horvat was traded was Dries, Aman and Raty. Those guys should be 13th forwards at best.

Not saying Suter (or Blueger) are going to be a revelation, but if one of them can centre a bottom 6 line that doesn’t get horribly caved in that’s one more than last season.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Is there no barrier? At MSG you can watch them walk back and forth to the locker room from one of the lower bowl VIP clubs but there’s plexiglass up.

It’s a VIP room, it’s going to be full of business executives that think Luongo is still in goal and are there for networking. I don’t think they have to worry about having a beer bottle thrown at them here.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The changes sound good, but I think they would make PP’s significantly stronger, so much so that they just wouldn’t get called late in the game. Team had 2 goal lead, bad call gives them a power play, 2 goals scored = talkback radio controversy.

Ie a regular season version of the SJ/Vegas playoff major penalty from a few years back that was a contested call.

The one I do like is the short handed ends the PP, just because most times it seems the short handed goal blunts the momentum/drive of the PP and the remaining time is just a bunch of failed entries (maybe from guys not wanting to cause another turn over). No idea if that’s actually backed up by stats..

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I get that it seems the Canucks need to show signs of life for Petey to not make the sane decision and go play for a team that has a plan.. but of the last 10 times the Canucks have made a shortcut, have any of them paid off? It’s either throwing away draft picks or other teams failures, or the abomination that was the OEL trade.

One more year, suck it up and play him in an actual 3rd pairing role in sheltered minutes and maybe he’s fine. Obviously not worth his hit, but slightly better than a replacement level guy.

If Petey is going to stay or go based on who plays 3rd pair RD.. he’s already gone.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Sadly, they likely don't have the cap space to hold onto him with Pearson sounds like he's going to resume his career. Even if they can magically finagle a way to be complaint, they'll have no cap space all year and will get worked in every trade. It's not a good situation and it will continue past this year regardless because the OEL buyout hits start kicking in next season and almost entirely replace Myers.

I’d be shocked if Pearson plays more than half the season, still think it’s more likely he doesn’t play again than is in the opening night lineup.

Doesn’t remove the cap problems, but hopefully they can do cap gymnastics till December, at which point they will probably be out of contention and wont feel the need to attach picks to remove expiring contracts.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

This non-story is gonna get more coverage than the covered up rapes.

Well in addition to a whole bunch of people not wanting to bad mouth mates and/or future employers, it’s pretty hard to make it a two sides story. Sure someone will write some kind of dumb garbage but most sports news can’t quite get to rape = not so bad, so it’s pretty hard to generate clicks.

This however is great Facebook material, clash of generations, mobile phone usage, some vague speculation about players partying. All makes for great engagement and numbers of comments on the socials. And isn’t that what sports is all about!

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Canucks just won 7-1. It’s happening. Pretty sure this season is going to be different.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

You have to imagine there is going to need to be some significant mending of fences in the CBJ dressing room. To have the captain and senior players come out and back the coach either not bothering to check their team mates (or just not caring because gotta say what the PR dept says they should say) is pretty inept leadership. No young player is going to confide anything in them now..

Gives me a faint hope for the Canucks being less of a poo poo show with Quinn Hughes leading, the fact they gave him the C after he raised the Pearson hand surgery debacle shows they actually want a leader of the room. Clearly the opposite of how Columbus are running things.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

So a team gets rightly torn to shreds for giving a guy a second chance that he didn’t deserve primarily because he’s a mate/ old boys network.

And you decide now is good time to give Chiarelli another go because he’s a mate..

(Obviously their reasons for being fired are very different, but the logic in rehiring is the same)

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

AntiDepressor posted:

Another oft injured bottom 6 forward to throw on the pile. 3rd is better than I thought we’d get for DeSmith though.

It’s incredibly dumb that Vancouver, a team still much closer to drafting first than a cup is spending draft picks to be cap compliant..

But given we’re in that world, I don’t hate this. If they are going to make the playoffs they likely need to go at 500 when Demko isn’t playing. Silovs might be very good in time, and Martin is serviceable, but you would expect both to have more really bad starts than the Canucks can afford. Not to mention Martin was fine last year in managed starts, but fell apart when Demko was injured. Atleast now Demko can catch a bad cold and not automatically sink the season.

They still have a oversupply of 3rd line wingers, but a little more balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Huggybear posted:

And question, obviously Pettersson not getting the C is because he hasn't re-signed. What are the odds that the fixes to the PK and a proper backup get the Canucks into the playoffs?

e: Allvin - "Regarding Tyler Myers, we have no intention of moving him"

so not good

Betting odds say 40% ish, and that’s probably about right.

I’d say what matters more than if Myers is on the team or not, is are Hughes/Hronek/Cole/Soucy a viable top 4. If the answer is yes then whoever of Myers or the numerous bottom pair/fringe nhl defenders they have are playing 14 minutes in sheltered competition shouldn’t matter that much. In such a scenario Myers might even impress. (I feel that role/quality of competition for defenders is one of the hardest to project and the current stats often don’t tell the story that well). Which is equally why expecting Soucy to be a viable top 4 guy is not a given.

If Myers is playing 20 minutes… then yes it’s going to be a train wreck.