Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah it's easy to see the value of O'Reilly, guy is a consummate pro, has a Cup, can mentor young players, and is still an effective player at both ends of the ice. He's exactly the kind of player a rebuilding young team would want to sign as the kids grow into their roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's mainstream and fun to laugh at the concept of veteran players having intangibles/locker room presence but it is a real thing that is valuable to mentor young players with. O'Reilly is loved around the league by coaches and players alike and it would be stupid to think he doesn't offer any off-ice value to a rebuilding team, and on the ice he can still play effectively in a middle six role while the kids develop.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Hey now, he didn't hit a wall. He got drunk, rolled his car and was ejected through the windshield because he wasn't wearing a seat belt. His business partner then ripped off his greiving widow and became a billionaire while she died basically penniless.

I'd say yes and no. We're dealing with humans but a lot of the examples of a great mentor to a young team are retrospective rather than recognized at the time. Plenty of teams have brought in "veteran mentors" and they've done jack poo poo. Most of the best veteran leader types are just solid contributors ala Hossa on the Hawks. It's probably better to ignore that stuff and sign the most talented player.

I disagree. Players earn reputations that circulate around the league and GM's pick up on it. "Just throw together the most talented players" is not actually a formula for a winning team most of the time. There has to be a strong culture, players have to gel and buy in. This is especially true i hockey, which is so reliant on team systems and mental steadiness.

Everyone in here knows what I mean when I say "a winning culture" because there are plenty of teams that suffer/have suffered from that, only for new ownership/management to turn it around and develop a winning team. It is more likely than not to be a good thing for a team of up-and-coming young players still finding their roles in the NHL to have a good vet like O'Reilly in the room and on the ice to help them with the day-to-day of being in the NHL and finding your game and developing a healthy mindset, etc. Just like our jobs involve a lot of nuances and day-to-day things to get settled and it helps to have someone support you who's been there before.

Now, I certainly agree that GM's overdo this and throw 3 years at Ryan Reaves or pay too much money for clearly broken down veterans who offer nothing BUT "grit and leadership." You want to have a balance of finding veterans who are good for a room of young players who CAN ALSO still play to a decent level and help more than hurt on the ice, which I think O'Reilly does.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twitter decides to break when free agency starts, cool

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils about to re-sign Bastian and are surprisingly letting Boqvist walk, but I think that opens the door for Fitzgerald to get a legit guy for the bottom six, which they need.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1675171540835475456?s=46&t=6jeBqCttHfYZcvTYdgsNIw

In what world would they be able to afford the person they're getting return for Laf unless a cap dump was included.

Friedman already said the Rangers have informed GM's they are committed to keeping Laf

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Bastian and McLeod are back. Basitan 2 years at $1.35m, McLeod 1 year at $1.5m

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Never fear Habs fans

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1675175081004105731?s=20

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

After the Bastian and McLeod deals, the Devils have $7.45m left to spend on probably a bottom pair defenseman and a significant upgrade player in the bottom six.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hand Knit posted:

4.5x4 for O'Reilly seems like a lot for a guy who was in the low 40's for possession with the Leafs.

That is too much despite my monologue about some of the value he could bring. 4 years is crazy

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

JVR to Boston, 1 year $1m.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Canes are lowkey an extremely win-now team. They're going to be terrible in 25-26 and they know it.

This.

If Carolina doesn't win in the next couple of seasons they're gonna be a bottom-feeding team for a while

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils trade a 5th rounder for Colin Miller.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Miller is perfectly fine as a seat-warmer for Nemec. A lot better than Brendan Smith.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Duchene to Dallas, 1 year $3m
Sprong to Detroit, 1 year $2m

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

If you need a player to skate a bee-line as fast as possible, Miles Wood is your guy. If you need someone to do anything else, Miles Wood is not your guy. If you need someone to take dumb penalties, Miles Wood is your guy. If you need someone to draw penalties, Miles Wood is not your guy

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jason Zucker to AZ

1 yr $5.3m

Lots of veterans taking 1 year deals because they know teams are cap-strapped

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils have $5.6m left to upgrade their bottom six. I wonder if they can get KIllorn over on a one year deal to play with Palat.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So I guess Twitter is fully busted and there's no news

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Seattle signs Dumoulin, 2 years $3.15m per

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I kinda don't know wtf Yzerman is doing with the rebuild. Seems aimless

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1675520525316026370?s=20

It's a $3m AAV, good deal for Florida

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 2, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Show me the AAV and if it's near or less than 1.5 that's great.

Rodiruges is a good player

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1675522160113209344?s=20

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

As of now, the Devils look like (who plays with who likely interchangeable):

Bratt - Hischier - Toffoli
Meier - Hughes - Holtz
Palat - Haula - Mercer
Foote - McLeod - Bastian
ex: Lazar

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
L. Hughes - Marino
Bahl - Miller
ex: Smith/Nemec

Vanecek
Schmid

They have about $5.5m in cap space. I think spending a couple million to upgrade Foote to a really good 4th line winger would be great. Maybe Pius Suter would go well there? Ultimately I don't think the Devils really need to do much considering they can see if Holtz clicks. If he does, they have a sick top nine, if he doesn't, they'll be able to go after the best player available at the deadline with their flexibility.

I'm surprised they didn't go after Sprong considering how cheap he was for Detroit. They could also bring back Tatar, but I think they want to give Holtz a good shot this year.

EDIT: I wonder if we see Gritsyuk come over and compete for a bottom line spot?

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 2, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Simplex posted:

I thought he would go for way more than that. Why wouldn't Colorado match that?

Because they needed to sign Miles Wood

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mr. Fish posted:

So what have the Islanders got here heading into 23-24 let's see hmmm

Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Wahlstrom-Pageau-Fasching/Holmstrom/Parise if he's not done
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck/Johnston (lol Lou)

Pelech-Pulock
Dobson-Mayfield
Aho/Bolduc-Romanov

Sorokin
Varlamov

If that Debrincat trade pans out, maybe put him on the first line and bump Barzy down to 3C I guess. This team roster sure is, uh, something

Wahlstrom has not been re-upped as an RFA and if the Isles get DeBrincat, him and Pageau probably go the other way. If that happens, we'd see something like:

Engvall-Barzal-DeBrincat
Lee-Horvat-Palmieri
Fasching-Nelson-Holmstrom/Parise
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Pelech-Pulock
Dobson-Mayfield
Aho/Bolduc-Romanov

Sorokin
Varlamov

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Iodised QQ posted:

Hate to engage in too much hyperbole in offseason chat but I feel like the rumored Debrincat to the isles trade is a make or break moment between "set up to at least be a playoff team for 5+ years with a good amount of young talent" and "slow slide in to mediocrity with a capped out roster"

They really need to make it happen

They still won't have a good amount of young talent, but Barzal/DeBrincat are two good young core offense guys.

You're right though, if the Islanders don't land DeBrincat now, they're just going to get older and worse year over year until Lou's successor has to do a full Flyers-style tear-down and rebuild. If they get him, they should be pretty good next year and should stay pretty good for another few seasons as long as Sorokin holds up.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

He signed in Russia for another few years. Should see him after that.

Has Tatar still not signed? Maybe they're talking to him.

I missed that he signed in Russia.

Tatar has not signed, but I'm not sure where he would play if they want Holtz to put up or shut up in the top six. Put Palat on the 4th line?

On the other hand, this top nine is just devious:

Bratt - Hischier - Toffoli
Meier - Hughes - Mercer
Palat - Haula - Tatar

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 2, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I don't think Holtz has earned anything. Ideally they should sign a RW who can compete with him in camp.

He hasn't and to be frank, I'm not sure he's going to earn a regular spot on this team considering the Devils are now in go-mode to win a Cup. I do expect them to sign someone to compete with Holtz, but that probably means they won't spend $3-4m on a player that's not guaranteed a spot.

That said, considering someone like Matt Duchene just signed a 1 year $3m contract presumably to try to win with Dallas, maybe Tatar comes back for really cheap.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 2, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

It could be the Hellebucyk rumors are true too. Maybe they're still looking at that and want to save space. Boqvist is still around too I believe.

Boqvist is gone, it's been reported that they've closed the book on him and he's gonna sign somewhere else.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I read a couple of tweets saying the Devils have parted ways with him, which makes sense considering he immediately signed McLeod and Bastian but there's been dead silence on Boqvist.

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1675166922785054720?s=20

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Could be the Islanders.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yamamoto to Seattle, 1 yr $1.5m

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/ARHockeyStats/status/1675899773499449345?t=pZ5D9aCpotHE-GXk2__Eeg&s=19

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Hasn't Zadina really struggled? He's 23, doesn't seem like he has a higher ceiling than decent bottom sixer.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

We should be almost ready to do another SAS Fantasy Draft...

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1676034897872289793?s=20

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Teravainen-Aho-Tarasenko
Svechnikov-Kotkaniemi-Necas
Bunting-Staal-Jarvis

Not too shabby on that top nine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So who

1)needs a goalie
2)Has assets to burn
3)Can afford Gibson

I realize his star has fallen but surely someone will be interested.

Buffalo would be an interesting spot. Gibson/Leivi.