Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Wonderllama posted:

If I were an NHL gm I would absolutely save a roster spot for a medium guy that blows up the Toronto maple leafs in the offseason

I've got just the guy for you, a 6'4" 225lb defenseman who earned 187 PIM in 37 games for the Louisville Icehawks.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=6025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
That's one of the weaker 1st/roster player/prospect returns I've seen. Every piece is disappointing in its own way.
-Wings have conditions to let them choose the 1st. Zero chance they recoup anything close to #7 and #39 they gave up for him.
-Kubalik is middle six winger, and teams pretty much give those away these days.
-That's a low-end prospect, splitting time between the AHL and ECHL.

edit: I had thought Kubalik was a center, it's even worse return with a winger.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 10, 2023

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

A double protected first round pick, can’t remember ever seeing that. This is a year removed from trading the 7th and 39th overall picks for DeBrincat lol.

New owner, same old bullshit asset management

I don't think this is on the new owner since they were already in the situation and had no leverage, and I don't think the sale is finalized yet, either.

Still must suck as a fan.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/1678846682111393792

Sucks they have to bridge him. Key is going to get paiiiid in 2 years.

It's entirely possible he preferred a two-year contract, too, because he's going to get paid in two years with the cap going up and a few more seasons under his belt.

Great player, glad they made it work.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Lundqvist was really a cut above the other goalies they let in this year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Curious as to what the Devils are sitting on their 5.6m cap space for. Goalie trade? Tatar? Tatar if no goalie trade? Something fun like Tarasenko?

At a glance: 12th and 13th forwards from the minor league list, resigning Bahl as a 7th D, room for performance bonuses on ELCs. After that, a bit of cap space to accumulate for potential deadline acquisitions.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Czech league plays 52 games and is a much less physically taxing league. Mirtle's profile on him in The Athletic last year mentioned that he probably had a double-digit number of concussions and was labeled as "concussion prone" in the NHL. Being in his home country is also likely a lot more appealing than staying overseas for medical care when he's missed all but 1 and 3 games in two of his last three seasons.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Here's a collection of quotes about Al Iafrate from when I drafted him in the all-timer fantasy draft we did a few years ago.

quote:

They don't call him Big Al for nothing, this 6-3, 230-pound defenseman, this self-tattooed, Harley-riding, Marlboro-sucking Marlon Brando look-alike and poster boy who can shoot a hockey puck faster than any other man alive.

quote:

The first time I saw Iafrate was in Washington while he was in the prime of his career with the Capitals. This was in the early 1990s. Back then the workout facilities were rudimentary. Teams hadn't yet invested in state-of-the-art training rooms that accompany a practice rink today. At the old Cap Centre in Landover, Maryland, the rink had those old-fashioned exercise bikes at one end of the building. Al was riding a bike while listening to heavy-metal music, completely naked.

quote:

He lit cigarettes with the blow torch used to prepare hockey sticks.

quote:

So there was Big Al, cigarette in hand, working on his sticks, totally naked, standing just outside the Sharks' locker room. The area was semi-private, but the end of the corridor opened up to a public area, and those fans walking past into the building could see where Al was standing if they glanced in that direction.

Sensing a problem, a Reunion Arena security guard rushed in Iafrate's direction, a serious, determined look on her face. "Sir!" she exclaimed sharply, as Al peered back at her with his trademark, deadpan stare. "There's no smoking in the arena!"

I guess that being naked in front of the fans was fine with this particular security guard, but smoking was absolutely out of the question.

quote:

He doesn't wear socks under his skates, likes to walk around in the privacy of his home naked save for his cowboy boots, thrives on head-banging heavy metal groups like Metallica ("I can sing like a dog") and when he's hungry, a teammate once said, "eats like a hyena."

quote:

Iafrate has joined the headbangers at Hammerjacks not to flirt or fight but to enjoy the music... As the band members take the stage, sporting the requisite skintight outfits and luxurious manes, Iafrate proclaims loudly, "Hey, these guys are better looking than half the broads here."

After the band performs several deafening numbers, the lead singer promises to do a couple of original songs, prompting Iafrate to shout, "Screw the originals. Play more cover tunes!" On the dance floor Rex Hunter groupies turn and glare.

quote:

Soon Iafrate was cohosting a weekly [radio] show called The Afternoon Power Play with Al Iafrate. The two-hour show has attracted a cult following. Iafrate selects the music, older heavy-metal standards by artists such as Ozzy Osbourne and Sammy Hagar, plus some newer music, by groups like Copperhead, Asphalt Ballet and Badlands. In Al Sings, a segment on the program, Iafrate sings a tune and callers can win Capital tickets by naming it. "I can sing anything that requires me to sound like an attack dog," he says.

quote:

Callers talk to Iafrate about heavy metal, motorcycles, tattoos and, less frequently, hockey. Exchanges are, for the most part, civil. There are exceptions. Upon learning that Iafrate had a subcompact Volkswagen, one rocket scientist called in and accused Iafrate of driving "a fag car."

"Buddy," said Iafrate before disconnecting the jerk, "my girlfriends could kick your rear end."

quote:

The local papers reported that the boys had broken several streetlamps by throwing rocks at them.

Now Iafrate is eager to set the record straight. "What happened is that we got into a fight with the bouncers at a strip joint," he says. "When they kicked us out, we started busting up the outside of the place, kicking in windows and stuff. They made it out in the papers like we were standing on the corner whipping rocks."

quote:

“Everybody has deep inhibitions. I just carry them out and say what I feel, whether it’s considered normal or not,” said Iafrate, who will make $800,000 this season. “Nothing I do is immoral. None of it’s a mortal sin. I’m a Roman Catholic. I was raised by two pure Italian parents. I have morals bred in me. I’m a God-fearing man, for sure.

“I just had trouble separating fun from work. Had my priorities confused.”

quote:

As the story goes, the Stars' Mike Modano accused Al of being lazy. Al looked back at him. Stone-faced, he replied, "Well, at least I can take a check, so shut the f--- up."

quote:

He lets out a laugh, the staccato heh-heh-heh familiar to fans of Beavis and Butt-head

quote:

My dad says there are no good rock and roll bands anymore, Max Iafrate said. When I was little he played me a lot of rap.

quote:

Iafrate also became known for his hair. In the beginning, as it started to thin, one former Leafs staffer said Iafrate would often resist being named as a starter for a game, because it meant he would have to appear on the ice without his helmet for the national anthems, exposing his premature baldness.

One night, during a game at Madison Square Garden, he crashed into the boards at high speed. The collision was so violent it sent his helmet skittering across the ice.

“Most people would have been dead,” said Gill. “You could tell he was out of breath, he couldn’t breathe. He went scrambling for the helmet to get it on before he let the trainer touch him.”

quote:

"You know, I was watching one of those late-night TV shows, and they were advertising this product you spray on your head to hide your bald spot. Would you think less of me if I bought that?"

quote:

In a post-game interview after a close victory, a reporter asked Iafrate why he purposely shot wide of an empty net in the last minute of a game. The legend quickly responded: “Empty net goals are for faggots.”

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It's incredible to see all the different types of guys who come together in hockey. Enforcers like John Scott with a degree in mechanical engineering and Stu Grimson becoming a lawyer after retiring. Stars like Taylor Hall who can't spell "banana" or failed a ten-question multiple-choice boating safety exam three times. People knock the Rangers for their player development staff having been fringe NHL players, but Tanner Glass has an ivy league degree (History, Dartmourth) and Jed Ortmeyer has a BS in education IIRC and also started a successful job placement firm for retired pro and Olympic athletes.

I love the stories of the dummies, but it's also nice to know there's less and less guys with minimal education who otherwise would've been working labor, both overall in society, as well as getting their bodies destroyed playing minor league hockey before widespread awareness of concussions and other debilitating injuries.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I mean is Tanner Glass getting into an ivy league school though if he's not amazing at hockey? I doubt he got in primarily because of his mind.

Tanner Glass is not amazing at hockey.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Fun fact, after the Panthers final attempt to draft Alex Ovechkin with their leap year shenanigans, they ended up using the 265th pick to draft Tanner Glass.

The 2003 draft was so deep there were four players selected in the 9th round who played 500+ NHL games, and another four who played 150+.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Huggybear posted:

when I lived in the ritzy neighborhood of Kitsilano in Vancouver back in the 2010s-ish era when Glass was a Canuck, I saw him get out of a late-90s Tercel and walk into Safeway, which is next to the Whole Foods there

I love this story, he seems like a down-to-earth and financially responsible dude who was aware his pro career may not have lasted long. Before Vancouver, his first two pro years with Florida/Rochester, he had 35k and 30k signing bonuses and a 55k/65k salary, plus spending 41 and 3 games in the NHL prorated to a ~520k salary, so a bit more than 250k. Driving a practical car and shopping at Safeway is way smarter than the average player who buys a new truck with their signing bonus.

Of course, he went on to earn over nine million dollars in his pro career, but I'm gonna guess he's set for life and didn't blow it on a reptile farm.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Caps are saying he's a foundational leadership player because if they convince everyone they believe that and it's the truth, it's going to amplify the bidding war to sign-and-trade for him near the trade deadline. Caps aren't ready to admit they're tanking yet, but they will be when they're already out of the playoff race on new years day.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Why would you pick an instrumental when the vocals are by far the worst part and the rest of the band are top-notch session musicians?

The real test of whether or not you should like the Rangers is how you feel about their captain's signature brand of hockey violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJKQXpBC6QQ

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

He had a great, long career and goes out on top with his sixth Selke trophy win. First ballot lock for the Hall of Fame.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I can see that the Pens want Karlsson because they're all in on old guys right now, but I can't even come up with a proposal that makes sense for the Sharks. They're rebuilding and can eat the cap hit for the player who is their main draw to keep fans buying tickets at the moment. He's coming off a superstar season. He has a big cap hit for the next four seasons, but they're not competing and if they're going to move him (especially while retaining salary) they're going to need something substantial towards their rebuild.

Assuming a typical pick/prospect/player return, the Pens have:
-All of their picks except 2024 3rd
-Their last two first rounders (Brandon Yager and Owen Pickering)
-Probably no roster players of much interest except POJ and maybe Ty Smith

On top of all that, the Pens need to do some major salary dumps to even make this work, those have been expensive this offseason. The assets they'd need to give up to make this all work would require emptying the cupboard and selling the farm for a moonshot.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

You know they're not going to be competitive this year, but watching the kids there develop and knowing Zegras is going to be scoring some highlight reel goals should make it a lot of fun.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Caps have nine players age 30+ signed after this year, and the only expiring 30+ contract is Pacioretty, who they signed to a one-year deal. It feels like they won the cup when everyone thought their roster was too old/aging out and are going into year six of hoping that still applies.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Dude scored 37 goals last year and tied for the team lead on an obviously tanking team that was 31st in goals for this year. He's had two 60+ point seasons which none of the comparables have, Schmaltz is the only one with more than one 50 point season, and the only one of those four to ever score more than Terry's 23 goals this year is Eriksson Ek, who scored 26 the year before last. I think Terry's getting a bit underrated here, and of course his ask is going to be high when he's on a team that just gave Alex Killorn 6.25m until age 37.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

On that subject, the CBC has a great investigative journalism show called The Fifth Estate, and they have a number of episodes available on YouTube which are available to watch outside of Canada. There's a few hockey-related ones I think folks here would appreciate. Keep in mind they're exposés on sexual assault and CTE-related suicides, so heed the viewer discretion warnings.

These two episodes on the Hockey Canada scandal are extensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ePE63_MOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T-2lC_TpRU

On this episode, they interview the wives of deceased former players who had CTE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzAuP3NfkAE

Unrelated to hockey, there's a lot of good content there, the one on Benoit Roberge and Quebec's Hell's Angels was an interesting watch.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Saw a blog suggest the Sharks offer sheet Lafreniere since NYR doesn't have big or even medium bucks to match

Ignore the misleading headline

https://www.canucksdaily.com/MAJOR-Former-first-overall-to-get-an-offer-sheet-from-surprising-Western-Conference-team-261953

Sharks GM Mike Grier and Rangers GM Chris Drury have a long history, going back to being teammates at BU from 94-96, then on the Sabres from 03-06, through when Drury was appointed Rangers GM in 2021 and shortly after named Grier a hockey operations advisor, which was the last stepping stone before his longtime friend became a GM a year later. Offer sheets are rare enough, but I can't imagine an offer sheet between those two guys.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

While they're still getting a 33-year-old defenseman signed for four more years at 10m per, that's still a big win for Pittsburgh, somehow getting out of several bad contracts and adding the defending Norris winner for a 1st and 2nd.

San Jose gets out of a huge contract and dollar commitment, while Montreal must've really liked Jeff Petry and needs a goalie, I guess?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

This is going to be a fun trade to judge in a year or two, because if the Pens miss the playoffs, they're either giving up a #11-16 pick this year or an unprotected 1st next year, with a core aged 38/37/37/34.

Pens were 18th in the league in goals against last year, and they traded their reliable backup, Casey DeSmith, whose career save percentages are 921/916/912/914/905, and plan on replacing him with a guy who had impressive numbers in a rookie season where he started 23 games on a team known for it's defensive system (Carolina) then posted a .901 in 59 games as a starter on a bottom ten team (in a year when .907 was average) then lost the backup job (with a .895) on that bottom ten team last year to a 31-year-old minor-league journeyman who had never played more than 79 minutes in the AHL, Magnus Hellberg. That, and they added a defenseman known for his negative defensive impact.

It'll be funny if the Sharks pick turns out well, Hoffman and Petry get traded for a decent return, and the Pens miss the playoffs and enter a dark age.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Starsfan posted:

I'm surprised Carolina or Tampa Bay didn't gobble him up, they have a habit of collecting those types of guys..

He came to North America at age 24 and is going into his fourth NHL year, it's no surprise he's looking to maximize his payday rather than take a discount on a contender.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Sure is. Fortunately he's competing with Taylor Fedun or Xavier Ouellet in 'oh poo poo everyone's dead and they are calling up whoooooo?'

I think he's worse than those guys, he looked outmatched in the AHL last year the few times I saw him.

Or it could just be the Rangers system, and as soon as a dude busts out at age 25 he has a breakout season with another team.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Bissonnette has been an idiot best known for saying stupid poo poo dating back to the days when he was also a hockey player.

This is an enforcer who got into a staged fight five minutes into a playoff game and got tossed for not tying his jersey down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvMN4F43nRo

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Babcock was an old-timey rear end in a top hat coach who both had to clean up his act and has to reckon with a younger generation of players who respond to positive encouragement. He's also been in the world of hockey for decades and is meeting a younger generation of the fraternity of hockey men, which is likely many of the people in his life, and what do all of them care about and talk about for decades? Their families. It's also nice to get to know people you're going to be working and traveling with for a solid half a year at a time, to know about their families they're away from, and to let them know you care.

tl;dr 60-year-old man relates to other men by sharing family photos, using latest technology.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I TELL YA WHAT KID YA GOT A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY BUT DON'T BE AFRAID TO MUCK IT UP IN THE CORNERS!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Mike Babcock played one season of hockey after college, in the British Hockey League. According to HockeyDB, "The British Hockey League was a European Non-Elite hockey league that operated from 1977 to 1996."

In the 1987-88 season, Babcock posted 34 goals and 98 assists for 132 points in 36 games, good for third on his Whitley Warriors in points, behind Scott Morrison's 108-116-224 line, also in 36 games, though his 44 PIM were half of Babcock's tally. Morrison played a decade in the BHL, bookended by stints in Ontario senior hockey, where he started his post-junior career for Flamboro Mott's Clamato's, who moved and became the Brantford Mott's Clamarto's in his second year.

The BHL was perhaps not the most competitive league, with the last-place Aviemore Blackhawks scoring 70 goals while allowing 499 on their way to an 0-28-0 record. Their leading scorer, Don Kimmie, scored 29 goals in 19 games, which is the only record of him playing hockey. Ditto second-place scorer Tony Correale, who managed 6-11-17 in 28 games. The top team in the league featured multiple 100+ goal scorers (in 30 games) as well as at least two players who suited up for games as soon as they turned 16 years old. I can't find the stat sheet for the 1-25-0 Deeside Demons, but one only needs to glimpse the records of the bottom team in each division to see that there were some pretty poor records in this league where teams played 26, 27, 28, 35, or 36 games that season.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Ken Holland turns 68 in a few months and he's already in the Hall of Fame. He either retires this summer or goes full Lou and never retires, GMing either the Blue Jackets or Jets for a decade in a half until they're all 35+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

This was an episode of Letterkenny, wasn't it?

ThinkTank posted:

Its business model for a long time was to only sell directly to pro sports franchises, not commerical retail. Presumably as a groundswell marketing thing to create demand. It eventually got sold to some cannabis company and I think they found out too late it wasn't even coming close to breaking even, so tried to ratchet up marketing and get it to shelves for consumers. I saw it in a Walmart once but it didn't last. It's too niche a product and NHL players just aren't cool enough to drive demand. It was basically an Ontario hockey bro exclusive product and could never gain a foothold beyond that.

Jhet posted:

We could get it in hockey adjacent stores here in Seattle, but I never saw it in a convenience store or anywhere else. I wasn't looking for it either. The bottles were second rate for on the bench, but for being just another gatorade, it was fine.

sleep with the vicious posted:

It was expensive as hell. Could have competed in the running/cycling drink market but they focused on hockey bros instead